Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2015 discount code

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've decided to go for the Dublin Full now, based off how I felt after this. I was going to wait but I think I'll be able to do the distance, and would be aiming for about the 4-4:30 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Going for Dublin as well and with a similar time too I'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Name|Distance|PB|Target|Finish Time|
    NetwerkErrer|Half|1.26:26|1.29:59|1:38.26|
    Bulmers74|Full|3:18:07|3:09:59|3:08:36|
    chrislad|Half|2.24:13|2.00:00|2:10:55|
    diego_b|Half|1.59:39|1.55:00|1:56:56|
    overthebridge|Half|1.48.xx|1.49.59|1:49:29|
    CR 7|Half|1.41.something|1.29.59|1:26:25|
    polaris68|Full|4:00:50|3:49:59|4:02:00|
    Kookiebrew|Full|first one|3:50.00|3:50:59|
    MaggotBrain|6 Mile||48:59||
    gl0Rob|Half|1:38:04|1:34:59|1:35:40|
    JohnDozer|Full|4:07:35|3:49:59|3:59:13|
    Rockmurf|Full|3:26.00|5:00:00|4:25.20|
    Limerick91|Full|First One|3:59:59|4:09.58|
    BullBauld|Full|First One|3:59:59|4:08:11
    long_b|Half|First One|2:00:00|2:05|
    Calvin Johnson|Full|3:33:54|3:04:59|
    Chavezychavez|Full|3:14:16|3:12:00|3:15:44|
    Cartman78|6 Mile|39:04|41:00|40:07|

Did a pb for the half-marathon over the 1st half of this.

A valuable lesson learned - the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Quick one lads... Just curious what marathon plan you used for the full...esp the guys who done their first one like me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

2 years ago I followed the one on the glr website for my first, although it seems to have changed a little bit. Second time, as now, I knew pretty much how it worked and tried to follow the spirit of the glr plan, of 10-20 miles on a sunday and 3 or 4 shorter runs during the week, ideally with a few sprints/intervals in one, which I think is the addition to the glr beginners plan.

• Advertisement

Spirogyra wrote: »
    2 years ago I followed the one on the glr website for my first, although it seems to have changed a little bit. Second time, as now, I knew pretty much how it worked and tried to follow the spirit of the glr plan, of 10-20 miles on a sunday and 3 or 4 shorter runs during the week, ideally with a few sprints/intervals in one, which I think is the addition to the glr beginners plan.

How did your legs feel in the last 5-6 miles... Did you walk anytime or have to stop...

Hi this time I walked to and from the water stations throughout and mixed electrolyte gel when 'due', thereby giving myself 6-8 seconds break every few miles. Legs were aching, I was litterally yelling (ask the pacers :) )with discomfort in my legs, but they didn't feel weak, like jelly or anything, there was muscular soreness, which has taken until yesterday to settle down.

In my first two years ago my legs did feel very weak and I went non-stop, dramatic last 6 mile decline ,very different experiences.

Thanks siprogyra, reason I'm asking is even though I practically hit my goal 59secs over, I've got this feeling I should have finished quicker... My legs were fine to the finish line no tiredness at all, was checking back on my splits and up til I hit the Gaelic grounds I was averaging 8:38 per mile, then my hamstring went so I had to stretch it out for a few mins, kinda slowed me down after that...

My stomach went around mile 20 all I wanted to do was vomit but it didn't slow me down... Had intentions of bringing something for an upset stomach and some painkillers but forgot to pack them, won't make that mistake next time...

Probably just overanalysing everything, I know I should me super happy finishing in that time for my first marathon...

I'm planning to follow the Hal Higdon plan for the full. Probably the Novice 2 plan.

Can anyone give advice regarding nutrition etc or link? My diet I feel is good, but I don't think my quantities are right, and I probably will need to up my carb intake going forward if I'm doing longer runs.

Normally I'd have porridge and banana in the morning, 150g of chicken in a whole meal wrap, and a chicken/beef meal in the evening with brocolli/carrots. Also take two protein shakes per day.

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm planning to follow the Hal Higdon plan for the full. Probably the Novice 2 plan.

Can anyone give advice regarding nutrition etc or link? My diet I feel is good, but I don't think my quantities are right, and I probably will need to up my carb intake going forward if I'm doing longer runs.

Normally I'd have porridge and banana in the morning, 150g of chicken in a whole meal wrap, and a chicken/beef meal in the evening with brocolli/carrots. Also take two protein shakes per day.

Hi Chris I'm by no means an expert in this but what I did during my plan is as follows:

Breakfast.. Porridge / wheatabix with whatever fruit was handy, Apple,banana, blueberries,strawberries, raisins...always had a cup of lemon and ginger tea with it,someone told me it's great for digestion.. Start a course of pharmaton active life vitamins for duration of plan..

Lunch... Varied from 2eggs in wholemeal bread, sardines on wholemeal toast, tinned salmon on wholemeal bread, chicken/ Turkey on wholemeal bread,beans on toast wholemeal bread, usually have a side salad with all the lunches, bit of lettuce tomato radishes peppers etc whatever was in fridge...

Dinner... Had a spaghetti dish 3-4 times a week especially when my training ramped up, wholewheat spaghetti, would make my own sauce either chilli,beef cube or chicken cube with peppers,grated carrot,peas,onion,chillies,mushrooms (would always make extra and freeze some , great to stick into micro if wife and child were having something else), I'd use chicken,lean mince or fresh salmon with this... I'd use the same with brown rice too... I'd also have steak,chicken,fish or pork with spuds,and as much veg as I could stomach, mixture of kale, cabbage,carrots,peas,parsnips,butterbeans,broccoli etc...usually have a pint of milk with dinner...

Tea... Wholemeal bagel with Nutella (peanut butter is better but I just couldn't get the taste for it).. Scone with jam...toast yip with wholemeal bread...

I'd have yogurts with avocado in it, nature valley bar, fruit here and there throughout the day...

Drank loads of water throughout the day.

After every run I would have a glass of chocolate milk, few fig rolls (tesco do packs for 79c done me the finest ) or a protein bar...after a long,tempo or interval session I'd have a bottle of lucozade sport.

Had one pint of Guinness in my 18 wk plan (and dear lord that was heavenly), was at my cousins wedding and had to toast her big day..

Think that's about it...hope that helps and best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Any of ye planning to do your first full this year should keep an eye out for the mentored novices thread which should be starting here in the next couple of weeks. I used one of the plans from the 2013 thread for my first. Lots & lots of info on all aspects of the experience will be covered. Below is the link to last years thread - some great info in posts 1 & 2
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057204941

That's a fantastic thread. Some great reading and links in it. Definitely one I'll be using when I start the training properly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

did everyone who ran the marathon now get sorted with a marathon medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dexter50

Never done this before but here goes.

Marathon race report GLR 2015 9219

Having suffered through the carnage of DCM 2014, when at mile 21 a trip in an ambulance back to the recovery tent was to be my grand finish,
    My intent and goal was a sub 4 hour marathon in 2014, I had started running casually in 2012 completed a 15k and a half marathon in 2013, McMillan had me at 3 hours 50 for a marathon,
    I followed the Jeff Gaudette training plan and completed the plan to perfection, but on the day at mile 21 I blacked out due to exhaustion and dehydration.
    The day had got the better of me. And this left me asking why?
    With this still in my head since October, I set my goal in the new year of finishing a marathon in 2015, I decided on Limerick as it suited my work schedule and was earlier in the year so hopefully temperatures would be somewhat lower than DCM 14.
    I again followed the Jeff Gaudette marathon plan, however my only intent for this programme was to finally finish a marathon.

Pre Race

My Wife and two of our friends came along for the support, probably more so to ensure that if I did keel over again my wife would have support!!
    We arrived down to Limerick on the Saturday headed across to the Expo, picked up my registration pack and headed for the hotel to book in, took it easy for the remainder of the day lounged around the Hotel.
    I was struggling with a niggle in my knee that I had picked up on the Thursday day during a very slow 5k. I headed out for my 20 minute pre race Saturday loosen up and it didn’t feel too bad, Anyhow it was not going to stop me now.
    Race morning.
    Headed into town and left my wife and friends at the start entrance with promises of drinks and snacks at various stages along the route. I headed for the portaloos, and then settled out to the start area,
    My plan was to finish the marathon I had completed both my 20mile training lsr at 9mins 30 sec pace, the second LSR I felt a lot worse after and was laid out with a virus for about 7 days after, with this in mind, my plan was to stick with the 4:30 pacers, see how the race goes and if I got to 21 miles and was feeling good then I could give a push to the end.
    The race started off good the weather was cool, we had drizzle/rain over the first hour of the race, I really enjoyed the first 10k running across that footbridge was surreal and through the UL campus was really good. I hit the first 10k in 1 hour and 03mins.
    I got into a little group and we went ahead of the 4:30 pacers but not so much that I couldn’t see them for fear of been all alone, All of a sudden there were just 2 of us in the splinter group myself and a Lady called Valerie, Valerie had a great running style she seemed to glide along, she ran on her insteps and It seemed effortless. Valerie was hoping to beat 4:30, the next 5-6 miles went by real quick and I remember thinking how great it was to have that bit of company and someone to talk to along the way, typically I run alone and I run listening to earphones but not today.
    At mile 12 I remember feeling thirsty and was hoping that this was not DCM all over again so when the next water stop came along one bottle went over my head and the other I carried with me.
    We hit the half mark at 2hours 12 mins 49secs, and I remember thinking I am feeling good, it was then I met my wife and friends for the first time in the day and after words of encouragement and ensuring them I was ok, we were on the way down the south of the city towards Dooradoyle,
    For the next few miles we were averaging just over 10 mins per mile which was a little quicker than we had been and the pacers were no longer in sight behind us, the support along the way was great all the stewards and the Gardai were quick to offer their support, We plondered through the uneventful Raheen industrial estate, I was feeling sluggish here, past the Hospital and up the hill over the bypass at crescent,
    I was feeling really warm at this stage but every water stop was a bottle over the head and one into the body, The support in the city was great on the way back in and at mile 21 met my wife and friends again, I got some jaffa cakes (biscuits) here and lucozade sport to top up,
    I was feeling good I think I got an adrenalin buzz having finally trumped the 21 mile mark after all that had happened in DCM, I thanked Valerie for her support to get me this far, she encouraged me to keep pushing at this stage and not to hold back,
    I was reluctant but I knew I had more in the tank and I headed off up Clancys strand towards Thomand park, I Iost Valerie at this stage and once again I was running alone, but I felt great, mile 22, 9mins 34secs, where was the wall ? mile 23, 9mins 05secs, mile 24, 9mins 07secs, mile 25, 9mins 13secs, I was feeling ok but I was sore and longed for the finish that niggling knee was starting to act up, been hosed down at mile 25 by a garden hose from some children was brilliant, I hit the last mile mark at 4hours 12mins 12secs and ran the last mile in 9 mins and 09 secs to complete the marathon in 4 hours 21mins 19secs.

Aftermath
    I am delighted to finally finish a marathon, But there is a niggling thought in my head, should I have done better? Should I have been closer to the 4 hours. Probably,,
    I definitely ran within myself showing by the last 5 miles been my 5 fastest miles of the race.
    Heading into this race I didn’t know if I could finish 26miles, now I know I can,
    I also now know that my goal for the DCM2014 should have been to finish a marathon rather than go chasing a sub4, and this I hope can be a lesson to a lot of marathon Beginners.
    My next target will be 4 hours 10mins.

Well done Dexter :)a landmark and you can learn from it :)

I still amazes me that for my first marathon I completed the plan immaculately, very little injuries and if anything even slightly surpassed the beginners plan. I was 4'21'34, still felt like a great achievement, is , was. This time, everything went wrong in training, injuries every second week , about half the mileage and 2 years older, yet 22 and a half minutes faster this time. Shows that it's not all about training. Maybe the small breakfast helped,maybe the electrolyte drink the day before helped, maybe interval sessions (even though there was only 3 or 4 of them) helped, maybe the calcium supplements (prescribed) , minuscule lifting of weights,maybe the rest helped, the pacers certainly helped. Maybe my overall preparation was better . But what this showed was , it's clearly not all about mileage, perhaps less can be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Well done Dexter :)a landmark and you can learn from it :)

I still amazes me that for my first marathon I completed the plan immaculately, very little injuries and if anything even slightly surpassed the beginners plan. I was 4'21'34, still felt like a great achievement, is , was. This time, everything went wrong in training, injuries every second week , about half the mileage and 2 years older, yet 22 and a half minutes faster this time. Shows that it's not all about training. Maybe the small breakfast helped,maybe the electrolyte drink the day before helped, maybe interval sessions (even though there was only 3 or 4 of them) helped, maybe the calcium supplements (prescribed) , minuscule lifting of weights,maybe the rest helped, the pacers certainly helped. Maybe my overall preparation was better . But what this showed was , it's clearly not all about mileage, perhaps less can be more.

Or maybe the extra two years training before starting the plan. :)

Advertisement