Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2015 discount code

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Last year, I registered for the 10k, but I was too lazy and hadn't done any training. My sister just took my pack and ran under my number. She was me for the purpose of the race, but she was able to run it without having to contact anyone. I'd imagine you'd be fine to do this, but would have to contact an organizer to change the name if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

chrislad wrote: »
    Last year, I registered for the 10k, but I was too lazy and hadn't done any training. My sister just took my pack and ran under my number. She was me for the purpose of the race, but she was able to run it without having to contact anyone. I'd imagine you'd be fine to do this, but would have to contact an organizer to change the name if needed.

Will you get caught? Maybe not. Are you breaking the race rules? Almost certainly, yes.

see the forum charter
    If you want to look for (or sell) race numbers because you forgot to enter on time then check that the race allows transfers (most don't). Forward the link or email which states transfers are allowed to the mods before posting your request. We'll close any threads that don't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

chrislad wrote: »

So how does the organiser identify the runner if something serious happens to them during the course of the race ??

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

=Limerick91;95093221]Name|Distance|PB|Target|Finish Time|
    NetwerkErrer|Half|1.26:26|1.29:59||
    Bulmers74|Full|3:18:07|3:09:59||
    chrislad|Half|2.24:13|2.00:00||
    diego_b|Half|1.59:39|1.55:00||
    overthebridge|Half|1.48.xx|1.49.59||
    CR 7|Half|1.41.something|1.29.59||
    polaris68|Full|4:00:50|3:49:59||
    Kookiebrew|Full|first one|3:50.00||
    MaggotBrain|6 Mile||48:59||
    gl0Rob|Half|1:38:04|1:34:59||
    JohnDozer|Full|4:07:35|3:49:59||
    Rockmurf|Full|3:26.00|5:00:00|
    Limerick91|Full|First One|3:59:59|
    BullBauld|Full|First One|3:59:59|

First marathon, completing it is the main aim but would like under 4 hrs if possible. Nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

It's good to know I'm not the only one crapping myself but still super excited about running my first marathon... I'm feeling the wait is the worst, counting down the days at this stage... ����

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

kookiebrew wrote: »
    It's good to know I'm not the only one crapping myself but still super excited about running my first marathon... I'm feeling the wait is the worst, counting down the days at this stage... ����

What's your plan kookiebrew for the race?

I've people telling me start off a bit slower and pick up the pace after mile 6/7.

Think I'll just stick with the 4hr pacer, and hope all goes according to plan.

I've been using The Hanson Marathon Plan for the last 16 weeks...all my runs have been about controlling my pace doing every mile the same so that's what I'll be trying....if you hear someone repeating 8mins 46 secs over and over that's me haha

As someone already said finishing is first goal but I'd like to do a good time...

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

[/QUOTE]
    First marathon, completing it is the main aim but would like under 4 hrs if possible. Nervous.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully we will be crossing around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Name|Distance|PB|Target|Finish Time|
    ThePiedPiper (pacer)|Full|2:49:00|2:59:30|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Is a pacemaker a good idea?.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Is a pacemaker a good idea?.

definitely. if your heart was beating irregularly you should definitely get that seen to. :)

i'm guessing you mean pacer. and they can be a great idea, or a terrible one.

find a good one, and you're sorted. ger664 paced me around my first half at killarney a few years ago, and did a hell of a job on tough conditions with no water. nice even pacing, kept us motivated, proper example of what a pacer should be. that's the only time I've used a pacer in a race, but i;ve seen lots while racing

the problems are that you are essentially running someone else's race, and if they get it right, superb, if not, if they go out too fast to bank time, if they don't account for hills, or worst of all if they come in over time your race is ruined. doesn't happen often, but it's been known to.

simple thing is, do what i did, met get before the race, introduced myself, asked what his plan was, sounded good to me, kept an eye for the first while we were sticking to the plan and then all was good.

overall i;d say they are a good idea if not confident to pace your own race, or if you are chasing a time that you feel they could help you with.

Seen a 2hr pacer for a half marathon last summer (won't say where) come in at 2:05.. The look of disappointment on the faces of the people around him was not good...

I've never used one but as you said if you get a good one I think they would be a great help esp at the start where people seem to take off too fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Seen a 2hr pacer for a half marathon last summer (won't say where) come in at 2:05.. The look of disappointment on the faces of the people around him was not good...

I've never used one but as you said if you get a good one I think they would be a great help esp at the start where people seem to take off too fast

I'm not sure which race you are talking about. But bear in mind that pacers pace races off chip-time and not gun time. Also in many races 2hr pacers would go off in the 2nd or indeed third wave so the time on the finishing clock would be irrelevant.
    Any pacer will know if they have in fact blown up and would let the runners know to push on if and when this happens, but that is very rare indeed.

It was only a small race with Just over 200 runners, only one wave... How we spotted it was my friend came in at 2:01 and thought he finished under 2 cause he was ahead of the pacer....

He thought it was funny but the people who came in with the pacer weren't too impressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 running coach pacer

It was only a small race with Just over 200 runners, only one wave... How we spotted it was my friend came in at 2:01 and thought he finished under 2 cause he was ahead of the pacer....

He thought it was funny but the people who came in with the pacer weren't too impressed...

Just to get back on topic concerning the GLR

Pacers have been used in limerick since 2010 without any issues - All the pacers follow the same instruction - come home 30 secs under target time per their Net (chip/watch) time.

Just to clarify none of the pacers aim to bank any time as the course profile does not justify that strategy.

I can understand peoples anxiety after months of training to achieve their target time with having the fear of getting toasted by an inexperienced pacer but concerning this event the pacers are carefully selected and will do what they set out to do on the day.

Best of luck to everyone going for a "time" in Limerick.

Sorry wasnt trying to knock any pacers... just thought of it when I saw the comment about them... im sure it doesnt happen very often and Ive heard the pacers in limerick runs do a great job. ..

Sorry if I upset anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19 running coach pacer

Sorry wasnt trying to knock any pacers... just thought of it when I saw the comment about them... im sure it doesnt happen very often and Ive heard the pacers in limerick runs do a great job. ..

Sorry if I upset anyone

No offence taken - best of luck with your sub 3.50 on the day.

Cheers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Is it normal to decline a lot in 2 years...33-35?....not so much in times, but my body is hurting far more, far more injury prone and feel less well...could it be age related? or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

whats the deadline for entry, cant see on website, dont want to enter just yet ........

• Advertisement

JMSE wrote: »
    whats the deadline for entry, cant see on website, dont want to enter just yet ........

They sent out an email 4 weeks ago saying that they had passed the 10,000 mark, and that their limit for the race is 13,000. They then said they would be probably closing the registrations earlier than the planned end of the month (being April). That may be just marketing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Name|Distance|PB|Target|Finish Time|
    long_b|Half|First One|2:00:00

First half race but have run the distance twice in training (1:59 and 2:07)

Torn between going with the 1:50 or 2:00 pacer (and thanks in advance to the pacers!)
    1:50 is almost definitely a dream but would be disappointed not to do sub 2:00

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

long_b wrote: »

First half race but have run the distance twice in training (1:59 and 2:07)

Torn between going with the 1:50 or 2:00 pacer (and thanks in advance to the pacers!)
    1:50 is almost definitely a dream but would be disappointed not to do sub 2:00

If you've done 1:59 as part of a training run, you should head off with the 1:50 pacers. You should be ok (presuming the rest of your training was consistent!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

If you've done 1:59 as part of a training run, you should head off with the 1:50 pacers. You should be ok (presuming the rest of your training was consistent!)

Just looked it up and 1:50 works out at having to run my 5K race pace for the whole thing !

Most people tell me to not start too fast so maybe I might start with the 2:00 and see if I can kick on in the last few km.

Or maybe it'd be better to potter around on me todd and grab on to whichever group I'm closest to come the last 5 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

After getting a late entry to the (almost) 10k - anyone on here ran it before?

I had been hoping that a few of the local elites might be drawn to the full or half marathons but looking at last year's results it looks like it still attracts a quality field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Cartman78 wrote: »
    After getting a late entry to the (almost) 10k - anyone on here ran it before?

I had been hoping that a few of the local elites might be drawn to the full or half marathons but looking at last year's results it looks like it still attracts a quality field

Yeah, I've ran it before. What do you want to know about it?

Why were you hoping the top local runners would avoid it? Last year was one of the slower years for the podium. The year before, it was won in under 29 minutes with second under 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yeah, I've ran it before. What do you want to know about it?

Why were you hoping the top local runners would avoid it? Last year was one of the slower years for the podium. The year before, it was won in under 29 minutes with second under 30 minutes.

If there was a (very,very) poor quality field then I might have an outside chance of potentially possibly being near the front :o but it would be very much a long-shot either way.

Does this course get clogged up at any point (with the half-marathon/full marathon people)?

If there was a (very,very) poor quality field then I might have an outside chance of potentially possibly being near the front :o but it would be very much a long-shot either way.

Does this course get clogged up at any point (with the half-marathon/full marathon people)?

I could be wrong but I believe the start times are staggered. I think it's 9:00am for the full, 11:45am for the half and 1:30pm for the 10k.

Edit: Fixed right times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Don't worry about the rest of field, The focus should be on you having a good run and improving.

The course will be more congested for the fastest guys in the 6 mile. They will catch a lot more half/full marathon runners and walkers. It doesn't cause too much congestion because of the stagger start and the fastest coming in in ones and twos. By the time the majority of the 6 mile runners are coming around, the road will be clear.

The first kilometer will be the most congested because of the amount of people starting the race but it usually clears up fairly quickly after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bassjacker

I was working towards doing the Cork half marathon as my 1st half. Would it be a bad idea to do the Limerick half as a training run just to do the distance. I would be hoping to do the Cork half in under 2hrs. If I did the Limerick half I would aim for around 2hrs 15mins-20 mins. As part of my training plan I would normally be doing a 10 mile LSR that day.

Advertisement