Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2015 discount code

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

Bassjacker wrote: »
    I was working towards doing the Cork half marathon as my 1st half. Would it be a bad idea to do the Limerick half as a training run just to do the distance. I would be hoping to do the Cork half in under 2hrs. If I did the Limerick half I would aim for around 2hrs 15mins-20 mins. As part of my training plan I would normally be doing a 10 mile LSR that day.
    it would be cheaper just to do 13.1m in training .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The first kilometer will be the most congested because of the amount of people starting the race but it usually clears up fairly quickly after that.

that, and while every race suffers from it, the GLR for some reason is the worst race i've done for walkers insisting on going off at the very front

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Bassjacker wrote: »
    I was working towards doing the Cork half marathon as my 1st half. Would it be a bad idea to do the Limerick half as a training run just to do the distance. I would be hoping to do the Cork half in under 2hrs. If I did the Limerick half I would aim for around 2hrs 15mins-20 mins. As part of my training plan I would normally be doing a 10 mile LSR that day.

I did something similar. I did the Ballybunnion half when I had planned for Limerick to be my first, and I was scheduled to do a 10 mile, but I was down there for the weekend, and there was nowhere else to do the run.

I am glad I did it, but it really wasn't the best idea in hindsight. I needed the full week nearly to recover after it. Granted, Ballybunnion is a tougher course than Limerick, but I think you're better off waiting for Cork if that was your plan. I did BallyB in 2,24 or so, and I'm aiming for 2,00 for the Limerick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bassjacker

chrislad wrote: »
    I did something similar. I did the Ballybunnion half when I had planned for Limerick to be my first, and I was scheduled to do a 10 mile, but I was down there for the weekend, and there was nowhere else to do the run.

I am glad I did it, but it really wasn't the best idea in hindsight. I needed the full week nearly to recover after it. Granted, Ballybunnion is a tougher course than Limerick, but I think you're better off waiting for Cork if that was your plan. I did BallyB in 2,24 or so, and I'm aiming for 2,00 for the Limerick one.

Thanks Chris, Ya I might just wait and do the Cork half. I'm planning on doing the 10 mile in Fermoy 2 weeks before the Cork half too so 3 races in 5 weeks would def be too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 laniey

Hi guys!

I'm doing the half and I was wondering if the course is flat, or if there are any hills on route?

Also I did 11.5miles in training in 1 hr 55 mins and was wondering if I should head off with the 2 hour pacer or the 2:10. if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!

• Advertisement

laniey wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I'm doing the half and I was wondering if the course is flat, or if there are any hills on route?

Also I did 11.5miles in training in 1 hr 55 mins and was wondering if I should head off with the 2 hour pacer or the 2:10. if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!
    The course is flat enough except for the flyover at the crescent which is short enough, a short incline at punches cross and another short one after the treaty stone

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Don't forget the one after the gaelic grounds. Not massive but a tester all the same

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Don't forget the one after the gaelic grounds. Not massive but a tester all the same

was just about to post that, always seems to be the one that catches people over hte 6 mile or HM distance, the others listed never seem to come up(no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

There's a chart at the bottom of the map that shows the elevation of the course. Download from the link below

Looks like a nice run in :)

http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/limerick-half-marathon/

Christ how did I forget that..worst one its awful. downhill back into town though....right???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Only two race packs per person can be collected at the expo

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Only two race packs per person can be collected at the expo

since when was this the case, every year I picked up 4 or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Limerick91 wrote:
    since when was this the case, every year I picked up 4 or 5

Just starting this year according to GLR. Its to do with the company running the expo "only 2 packs will be given out at a time" I suppose you could go out and come in again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Bus strike that weekend, not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Got email this morning saying registration is closing this Friday (24th).

What's the best tactic for the marathon if training has not been ideal? go slow, , conservatively within myself throughout, and hope it's enough?would ideally like to avoid the dramatic slowdown in the last 6 that I've done before though

Thanks everyone!!! :)

My email yesterday said that 'race pack must be collected by me' and that 'photo id may be requested'....seems to be a change in policy this year? was there widespread impersonation? :)

laniey wrote: »
    Thanks everyone!!! :)

Your welcome :)

Very hard to say if you should go with the 2:00 or 2:10 pacers from the info supplied. How has training gone in general? What kinda weekly mileage you doing?Have you worked on speed as well as endurance? Have you raced a half before? If so, what time? Have you done any 10k's recently - times?

Spirogyra wrote: »
    My email yesterday said that 'race pack must be collected by me' and that 'photo id may be requested'....seems to be a change in policy this year? was there widespread impersonation? :)

Yeah the whole idea of getting the individual athlete to collect the pack is about maximising the number of potential customers through the expo. Organisers have sold slots to retailers at the expo based on x amount of runners passing through.

• Advertisement

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Yeah the whole idea of getting the individual athlete to collect the pack is about maximising the number of potential customers through the expo. Organisers have sold slots to retailers at the expo based on x amount of runners passing through.

Sly..... not too bad for as I'm local, but a lot will not be....again it's a business.

I hope their 'goodie bag' actually contains goodies this year, just some pointless 10 % off coupons for obscure venues or products in previous years, the worst I've ever received.

I assume their will be no 'gels' given out at the water stations either? none last year, but was year before...

T-Shirt is black again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pat The Barber

I'm doing the GLR for the first time and hope to finish the 6 mile in under 40 minutes. Are there different entry points to the race which would prevent runners from starting out behind walkers etc. Also, what time does the 6 mile start? The website doesn't give out such info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Spirogyra wrote: »

T-Shirt is black again.

No and from what I have heard it is supposed to be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

I'm doing the GLR for the first time and hope to finish the 6 mile in under 40 minutes. Are there different entry points to the race which would prevent runners from starting out behind walkers etc. Also, what time does the 6 mile start? The website doesn't give out such info.

There's two points of entry to the start. The best one to use will be the one closest to the city centre. Really shouldn't make a difference which one you use unless you're cutting it tight for the start time at 1.30. The best advice I can give you about starting position is to stick to the left hand side. There's a huge bottleneck at the start where the road narrows on the right hand side and it can be a mess. Sticking left should avoid most of the pushing and shoving and give you a clearer start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Not looking the best. That said, I'm more comfortable running in rain at 12 degrees that sun at 22 degrees so there's that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Anyone know how many is entered for the full? Does the field get very strung out or what way does it work out on the day?

Tis time to cut the toenails I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

Anyone know how many is entered for the full? Does the field get very strung out or what way does it work out on the day?

Tis time to cut the toenails I think...

Not sure but close to a 800 from the sounds of things. The field can get a little strung out especially out on the thomond loop. I done it 2013 and felt really isolated out there, I'd blown a gasket and fell into depression before that so that probably had a lot to it though. Ran the half last year and they seemed to be a fairly dense field of marathon runners as I passed them. You're pretty much always going to be within a stones throw of someone unless you're going sub 3 which is fairly spread out. Over 3 hours and there's a lot of people around.

You'll be fine JD! You're in cracking shape at the minute.

• Advertisement

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Your welcome :)

Very hard to say if you should go with the 2:00 or 2:10 pacers from the info supplied. How has training gone in general? What kinda weekly mileage you doing?Have you worked on speed as well as endurance? Have you raced a half before? If so, what time? Have you done any 10k's recently - times?

I haven't done many organised runs this year. I did a half last May 2:06 (my first HM) and it did have a few hills. I haven't done any speed work really, in training I try to do my short runs (3-4miles) in under a 10min mile and long runs between 10-11 minute miles. Ran a 10k race back in September in 58:30 but I've done a lot more running since then. I run 3 or 4 times a week. one long one medium one short (4th run could be long or short). Sorry I don't have more stats for you. thanks for the advice!!

Advertisement