Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run 2015 discount code

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

How many electrolyte gels should I be using for a full? 3 ? plus a drink before and after?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Spirogyra wrote: »
    How many electrolyte gels should I be using for a full? 3 ? plus a drink before and after?

not being smart, but whatever you've practised in training. nothing new on race day

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Spirogyra wrote: »

As already said whatever you have been doing in training. Don't go altering your routine now.

I'm planning on taking 4 at 5,10,15 & 20 miles. Will have a bar and some sweets aswell and electrolyte tabs to pop into a bottle of water.

Hope that does the trick.

I will also be having a shot of a defibrillator at mile 23 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

mossym wrote: »
    not being smart, but whatever you've practised in training. nothing new on race day

Yep...sound advice...don't touch anything on the day you haven't used before.

The frequency of intake will probably depend on the type & volume of gel you have as well - I found taking my own personal gel of choice (Tropical Fruit flavoured PowerBar gels :pac:) every 10k or so worked well in the last couple of marathons I did.

Make sure you're near a water station too (or carrying a bottle) when you take them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Have only done one 20 miler, and hydration was pretty disastrous on that, well I assume it was hydration, as was nauseous and a bit dizzy, so it's not quite as simple a matter as stick to a winning formula, have to try to manage the day better than that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

running my first half marathon on sunday and looking for some advice regarding pace group to run with.

I am torn between the 1.40 and 1.50 group,
    my 10k pace is about 4.40 ish.. my personal run pace for my last few long runs 15k+ was about 5.20 - 5.33, these were saturday morning runs on my own, no water, felt grand afterwards,

my feelings are should i go for the 1.40 group and push myself, not too worried if i fade a bit near the end,
    or do i play safe and run the 1.50 group and hopefully push on a bit near the end...

any thoughts???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ger664 wrote: »
    When you see the state of us you may change your mind :pac:

Don't mind Ger664 - comes highly recommended as a pacer - shouted me over the line with seconds to spare in my first DCM ;)

Best of luck to everyone at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

running my first half marathon on sunday and looking for some advice regarding pace group to run with.

I am torn between the 1.40 and 1.50 group,
    my 10k pace is about 4.40 ish.. my personal run pace for my last few long runs 15k+ was about 5.20 - 5.33, these were saturday morning runs on my own, no water, felt grand afterwards,

my feelings are should i go for the 1.40 group and push myself, not too worried if i fade a bit near the end,
    or do i play safe and run the 1.50 group and hopefully push on a bit near the end...

any thoughts???

Your the same as myself, I should be able to do 1:45 but want to get 1:40. I'm going to do what I usually do and start off slow and build up my pace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi all. I'm running the six miler for the first time this weekend . Really looking forward to it. However I've tried looking up for anywhere to park up. The road closures make it very confusing. I'll be approaching from the Clare side. I was hoping to park possibly at the strand hotel but judging by the closures I won't be able to get near that. Has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Hi all. I'm running the six miler for the first time this weekend . Really looking forward to it. However I've tried looking up for anywhere to park up. The road closures make it very confusing. I'll be approaching from the Clare side. I was hoping to park possibly at the strand hotel but judging by the closures I won't be able to get near that. Has anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Could you park at the Jetland Shopping Centre? It's not a massive walk to the centre from there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Through the tunnel. Get off at dock road. Come into town on the dock road and park at the multi story beside the clarion. Close to start and finish.

I suppose I could but I was hoping for something closer.....

Through the tunnel. Get off at dock road. Come into town on the dock road and park at the multi story beside the clarion. Close to start and finish.

That sounds good. Might just go with that. Thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

You can avoid the tunnel. Go towards Limerick Left at the Tesco Roundabout and down the condell road over the new bridge on to the dock road.

It's looking like we'll be getting a swim in addition to the run! Ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Think I'll bring the wetsuit down with me....

Hasn't stopped raining for last few hours in Dublin. Forecast looks the same in Limerick. Any local update?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

raining at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Well there is a weather warning in place until midnight tonight so today is a right off. But the morning should only bring a few showers all going well.
    It's the wind that might be the biggest factor.

Forecast, and I may be reading it with optimism, is supposed to be better for tomorrow than today. It's more drizzle than rain. Wind seems to be light either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

jamesbere wrote:
    Your the same as myself, I should be able to do 1:45 but want to get 1:40. I'm going to do what I usually do and start off slow and build up my pace

Thinking the same thing now, will start with the 1.50 group and see how it goes, there probably be a breakaway group at some stage I could go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Thinking the same thing now, will start with the 1.50 group and see how it goes, there probably be a breakaway group at some stage I could go with.

I'm doing exactly that. Will stick with the 1.50 pacers until around the regional hospital. I'll pull away then. Hope to finish under 1.48.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Worst goodie bag ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Pacifico wrote: »
    Worst goodie bag ever!

Whats in it?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Whats in it?

Wart cream/plasters and some jellies!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

And a very nice tshirt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah the t-shirt is nice in fairness

Very very busy and congested around UL....would advise waiting til later in the afternoon for anyone that hasn't gone yet.

The expo is fine...well organised & laid out, pretty much on par with every expo I've been to

Me again....does anyone know what the craic is with the bag drop/collection for the 6 mile?

The booklet mentions a kitbag and labelling system but no sign of that in my goodie bag

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

^^^
    Was wondering about that alright.

There's kids races this afternoon in UL so it's mad busy, most people parking on the roads outside. Give yourself plenty of time if you've still to collect your pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

chrislad wrote: »
    Could you park at the Jetland Shopping Centre? It's not a massive walk to the centre from there.

Its about a 4km walk. Personally I would drive in as far as the dock road and park in that area.

Advertisement