Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 + PS Vita - Accounts issue

Options
  • 30-12-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I've just gotten a PS4 for Christmas, and my son got a PS Vita and PS TV.
    Lots to play and link up but its not going smoothly so far.

Up to now we've used 2 XBOX 360's with 2 live accounts.
    Initially I thought we would do the same with the Sony accounts but then realised they have master and sub accounts so decided I should use that. Big mistake.

So I created my master account for me and his sub account (he's 9).
    I ended up creating a second sub account a while later because I found out that Sony don't let me decide what games my son plays. So in order that he can play the odd 12's game I had to start again.

Now to the VITA. I mistakenly (why don't they put up a warning screen when you're starting off) used my master account. His VITA came with 6 DLC games which we started downloading. PSN went down straight away and I couldn't do anything with accounts for a couple of days so forgot about it.

Now, my problem. If he wants to remote play the PS4 or PS TV he needs to use my account. From what I can tell in order to resolve this I need to wipe the PS Vita and set it up with his sub account.

So my questions that I'm hoping someone will help me with.

1. If I wipe the PS Vita and set it up using his sub account does he lose access to the DLC games.
    2. Am I correct in thinking that this means he won't be able to download the free VITA game each month if I sign up for PS Plus with my master account.
    3. Is the easiest option just to give him my master account (losing all ability for parental controls) and set up a new sub account for myself?

I'm aware option 3 means his friends will see my name and we can't change the username.
    This is so much more complicated than I had expected. Perhaps I dived in a little quick but this wasn't helped by all the info on the web about sub accounts etc for the PS4 and assuming (yes I know the dangers of assuming) that the PS Vita would work in the same manner.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Option 3.

Make sure you password protect the wallet so that no "accidental" purchases can be made.

If he goes to a friends house and gets a lend of an 18s rated PS Vita game, nothing you can do to stop him, but games played will be shown when he syncs(sp?) his Vita to the PSN, that way you will know his playing history.
    Sync often and explain to him why you are doing it, keeps him honest too.

You are both new to the PSN network and it's been acting up since xmas, you can't have too many friends yet. :P

If they are real life friends, send them a message with new account.

EDIT: Those Vita games are tied to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

F1ngers wrote: »
    Option 3.

Make sure you password protect the wallet so that no "accidental" purchases can be made.

If he goes to a friends house and gets a lend of an 18s rated PS Vita game, nothing you can do to stop him, but games played will be shown when he syncs(sp?) his Vita to the PSN, that way you will know his playing history.
    Sync often and explain to him why you are doing it, keeps him honest too.

You are both new to the PSN network and it's been acting up since xmas, you can't have too many friends yet. :P

If they are real life friends, send them a message with new account.

EDIT: Those Vita games are tied to your account.

Thanks, figured as much.
    No friends yet so that doesn't matter. The username is the same as my xbox live one that I've had for 9 years so thats a pain but I'll get over it.

Advertisement