Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Status Page software

Options
  • 30-12-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

May not be one for here, but it seems like the most appropriate place.

In short, I'm looking to find out what people are using (if they're using anything) for publishing a status page for their sites.

I've found a few solutions (like statuspage.io) that get about 90% of the way there, but my requirement is a little bit specific - I need the status page to be private (i.e. only visible to people internal to my company) and I'd like to be able to have rigid templates for outages/events so that the proper information is filled in when a service goes down rather than, "This service is currently down" being posted for five hours.

The aim is to have an internal status page which can show things like our public websites but also internal dev systems like pre-prod, along with corporate systems like exchange and AD. Hence the need for restricted access.

The best-looking solutions (like statuspage) also seem pretty expensive. I've found stashboard, and it's pretty good, but it lacks the ability to notify via email.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Sounds like you're looking for something like Nagios/Sensu/Zabbix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Will add PRTG to the above list too as you can lock down views to users, and can configure email alerts based on defined thresholds.

If this is going to be internally hosted, is there any scope for a in-house build?

Something along the lines of:
    • Authenticate users against AD/LDAP
    • Ping servers/websites to monitor uptime
    • Use WMI calls to check disk space, etc
    • Post status alerts depending on pre-defined template
    • Audio alerts (in browser)
    • Email alerts to distribution groups to target various departments/offices.
    • Use AJAX to pull in latest updates/statuses
    • Add in corporate branding

I have done most of these (in separate apps sadly) in a WAMP build and it is definitely very do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We have all of the monitoring and automated alerting set up (actually almost exactly what Deliverance describes :)), it's really something at a slightly higher level that I'm looking for; the status would be changed manually, email templates filled out manually. Why? Because I don't want automated systems alerting the CEO & CTO that our sites are down when they're not :)

For all intents and purposes the internal business are my "customer", so I want to keep the fine details hidden from them and just have a nice simple dashboard which tells them whether things are OK, and gives us an easy communications channel to send out notification mails in non-technical language.

It's definitely something we could do in-house, I managed to hack something together by gluing various drupal modules together, but if I can get something nicely polished and save myself a month's work, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

we ended up writing our own. We have a page that any user can connect to which tests the status of various systems/components and reports if the system is up/down similar to https://www.apple.com/ie/support/systemstatus/

At the same time we have an automated service that constantly checks the system and if it finds something is down it creates an entry for the down system/component that Support has been notified and an email/txt is sent to the on support person who investigates the issue and updates the text displayed on the web page.

A full history of the issue is kept including the start/end date of the incident, how it was discovered/resolved etc

Read the NetFlix http://techblog.netflix.com/ technical blog for how they handle these type of isssue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Something like this:

https://cachethq.io

(sorry for the late answer, it's taken me a week to find this again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes!

Pity about having to use a framework and not a straight install, but this looks like exactly what I was looking for. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jbrooksuk

Hey, I'm James, the developer behind Cachet.

@seamus, the framework shouldn't be an issue for you since essentially it's just PHP, but will require a little bit of setup to get working on an Apache/nginx install. Alternatively you could check out the Heroku one-click install that we offer.

I can't actually post any links due to being a new user, but if you checkout the github.com/cachethq/Cachet/tree/master/docs/setup link you'll find all the documentation you should need.

Advertisement