Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband/Phone - No options left, changing provider very soon

Options
  • 30-12-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Currently on a 8mb line and getting highest speeds of 2.6, upon having a conversation over the phone with Eircom I learned for the first time that my line can only carry a maximum of 3.5. The rep seemed to think I should be happy to be getting these 'good' speeds on this line. I only live 2 miles outside a big town here in Cork, so there's absolutely no reason for this limiting of my line.

Over the next week or two, I will be cancelling all Eircom services including broadband and home phone (getting rid of altogether, so line rental will be gone too) and changing to another provider (not necessarily wired before anyone says that I wont get any faster with anyone else). Talking on the phone to Eircom gets me nowhere as nobody seems to be a 'technical' expert on there, constantly fobbing me off. I initially enquired about fibre coming to my area but having this limit on my line, this seems light years away even though it's already in the nearest town.

So, one final attempt here, Is there anything Eircom can do to upgrade my service before I cancel all services with you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I can gladly pass my information onto a rep if they would like to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Corholio wrote: »
    Currently on a 8mb line and getting highest speeds of 2.6, upon having a conversation over the phone with Eircom I learned for the first time that my line can only carry a maximum of 3.5. The rep seemed to think I should be happy to be getting these 'good' speeds on this line. I only live 2 miles outside a big town here in Cork, so there's absolutely no reason for this limiting of my line.

Over the next week or two, I will be cancelling all Eircom services including broadband and home phone (getting rid of altogether, so line rental will be gone too) and changing to another provider (not necessarily wired before anyone says that I wont get any faster with anyone else). Talking on the phone to Eircom gets me nowhere as nobody seems to be a 'technical' expert on there, constantly fobbing me off. I initially enquired about fibre coming to my area but having this limit on my line, this seems light years away even though it's already in the nearest town.

So, one final attempt here, Is there anything Eircom can do to upgrade my service before I cancel all services with you?
    Hi Corholio

Please feel free to PM me the associated land line number & I will look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hi Corholio

Please feel free to PM me the associated land line number & I will look in to this further for you.

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for reply, sent you a PM there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Corholio

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks for reply, sent you a PM there.
    Hi Corholio

I can also confirm that the max download speed your line can hold is up to 3.5Mb.

This is due to your lines distance from the exchange, basically the further the distance the slower the download speed will be. This is one of the reasons why speeds are provided on the terms of 'up to' the advised speeds as this and many other factors can affect download speeds.

I'm sorry I can't offer you better news Corholio.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement