Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you judge if a game you've bought is worth it

Options
  • 30-12-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

As in the title how so you judge if a game you have bought is worth it. Since getting a vita iv bought a lot of digital games and some have turned out to be stinker which i just deleted but almost felt guilty, thinking I should really play it for x amount of hours so I have gotten my moneys worth. Do you judge it by time put into it or enjoyment? I used to be in the time put in camp but more recently im more the enjoyment side of it, possibly due to getting older and having less time to play.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If I like it, or even if it's just interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

For me it's all about whether I enjoy it. Saying that though, theres a whole bunch of games on my back list that I've only put maybe 30 mins max into each. Damn sales are killing my wallet haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Have finsihed **** games just because i bought them.

If i buy it, i play only reason i wont if its buggy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm playing games for 35 years and I still don't know.
    I rarely buy new games, just released.
    I'll wait a month or two and let the hype settle, then judge of its for me before spending.
    Some games are designed to entertain from the start but can get monotonous rapidly, Destiny did that for me.
    Some games are more interested in a slow burn and then keep your attention, Fallout 3 was like that in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

When a game gets a hook into you. Some combination of thinking about it when you arent playing and actively making time to get back into it. A game with that effect on me is worth it.
    I don't mention money because I very rarely buy newly released full priced games, usually only when I know what they'll be like (a sequel to a game I loved, like Far Cry 4)

I have a lot of steam sale purchases that I wade through just because I feel Im obligated but they don't really do much for me. Those really arent worth it to me, but its the age old "OMG, its going for a tenner now, ya can't pass that up!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

This is something I ask myself all the time.

I think the easiest way of measuring is the amount of time you get out of it. So for me the annual fifa, call of dutys and bethesda games are a good investment as I get over 100 hours out of each of them, working out at less than a euro an hour. That kind of return is rare in any entertainment medium.

Then there are special games like journey that I've spent way less time with but quality over quantity in these cases.

If that fails then I just remember how much money I've wasted on other ****e over the years and then even a decent game isn't bad value once it isn't bought at full price.

As long as I don't get bored TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Enjoyment and longevity [vs cost].

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

As agricola said, if I'm thinking about it when I'm not playing, that's usually a good sign, coupled with how many hours I end up investing. Battlefield 4 has finally ended up as a great game , and the 150 hours I've sunk into that has justified the initial financial investment.
    sunset overdrive on the other hand, I got through in about 25 hours, but they were so enjoyable that I'm not bothered about the relative cost per hour of gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

If I find myself coming back to playing the campaign on a higher difficulty setting or trying to get as many achievements as possible it is a good indication to me.

Also a game that has both a great campaign with good online play is another factor for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Enjoyment and longevity [vs cost].

This, via the pint scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you enjoy something I don't think penny pinching is the way to go.

I was perfectly happy to get all the DLC for Civ5 because I put nearly 1400 hrs into it. Take the €120 or so on that and compare it to a cinema ticket. Pretty good value.

It's the same with charging full price or nearly full price for Blizzard's expansions and playing them for hundreds of hours.

It pays to be informed and you can avoid the serious stinkers with a bit of research but on the whole games provide a huge amount of value for money, even if they're short and even if they're on console or from a bricks and mortar shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I only buy games when they are under 5 euro on steam so it isnt hard to make it worthwhile. I've learnt with my limited time that if Im not enjoying it after half an hour move on. If I dont move on then I generally feel it was worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

All of these or 2 of these:

Playing 30+ hours
    Paying nothing for it (or less than 5)
    Re-playability

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Time played and or enjoyment from said game.

Advertisement