Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to stay at NUIG for first year?

• 30-12-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have NUIG down as my first choice for September but I haven't a clue where to stay. I know Corrib Village is where most 1rst years stay but it is quite a rip off considering the state of the place. Is there anywhere else that first years stay that isn't too far from campus. My main problem is that I don't want to get thrown in with older years. Dunaras doesn't look too bad but is it very far and would you be put in with other years?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Corrib Village is where the majority of first years stay and where you will meet friends you will have for life. Not the best quality place to live but certainly the best place to LIVE in first year if that helps. I'm from near the college and even wish i lived there in college :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Don't worry. Its early yet to be worrying about accommodation
    Why do you not want to be in same place as other years? First years could be everywhere and anywhere
    You could be in same house as other years in Dunaras

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I would recommend from personal experience that you're better off going into student accommodation for 1st year. Doesn't have to be Corrib. It's on campus and practically anyone who lives there can crawl to college, that's the great thing about it. Actually there's a shuttle bus for them, so they don't even have to walk 20 meters from their block. They've gotten strict on it with new management following what happened in the past but it's still great craic.

I've heard good things about Dun Áras, there's a shuttle bus to and from NUIG. If you're a first year, they'll usually put you in with other first years. Most are first/second years, that's not to say there aren't final years. I live a good bit from college and tbh in first year it's better to be near college.

One word of advice: Don't leave it until the CAO comes out. It's very early now to arrange accommodation though. If you think you will get it from getting seeing your Leaving Cert results, don't leaving it until the last minute. This year Corrib had a waiting list before the CAO was published.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Corrib is an overpriced sh1t^ole but you cant put a price on the friendships you'll make there :P I lived there a few years ago and it made it so easy to meet people and make friends for pre-drinking sessions and even helped to get talking to people in your course as living in corrib is always a good conversation starter :P Dunno if its still the same but when I was there (2 years ago) there was constantly parties to go to,.... Unreal and glad I paid the ridiculous amount of money, definitely have memories for life from that place! If your not as keen on partying then Gort na Coiribe is a better option. Nicer houses and you can be as quiet or as lively as you like there!

*p.s. if you do live in corrib, from day 1 make sure to hide the fire extinguishers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

My son is in corrib village at the moment. I remember when we went to look around the collage and the acc we were not that happy with acc at all, but went ahead anyway. When he was starting collage we went again and I was surprised the apartment was fine no palace but ok and near hand the collage. But be aware if anything gets broken in the appartment you will pay well over the odds to replace it. In fact my friends son stayed there a few years ago and she sent a dinner set with him and put all the corribs crockery away she reckoned it was cheaper to break your own than break corribs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

lulu1 wrote: »
    My son is in corrib village at the moment. I remember when we went to look around the collage and the acc we were not that happy with acc at all, but went ahead anyway.

And that's when they were trying to show it off to prospective students. Imagine what it's like during the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

I'd rather make a post here than write a new thread.

Do you reckon it's cheaper to rent out a house for the year with a group of trustworthy friends or go into Corrib etc? I think Corrib is a bit on the expensive side, but I don't really know Galway enough to know whats a good price or not on accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Eazzah wrote: »
    I'd rather make a post here than write a new thread.

Do you reckon it's cheaper to rent out a house for the year with a group of trustworthy friends or go into Corrib etc? I think Corrib is a bit on the expensive side, but I don't really know Galway enough to know whats a good price or not on accommodation.

As has been stated in probably hundreds of threads at this point...

Landlords are unlikely to rent to first years. Generally ye cause havok.

Corrib may look expensive, but you don't have any bills to worry about. There are other student residences that you can consider.

Advertisement