Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACL Reconstruction Again

Options
  • 30-12-2014 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi guys

I got ACL surgery on my knee around 5 years, sadly the graft stretched and I never had full confidence in it but about 2 months ago I was climbing and fell awkwardly on my knee and I have ruptured the old ACL graft and I need surgery again.(bummer)

I am from the south east and I am wondering if anyone has any advice on who to go to in the south east or am I better off going further afield to get the surgery done and also a rough price on how much it will cost. I have seen prices on boards from 3 to 6 thousand I just want to confirm what the average price is. I went public the last time but it took 2 years to get done and I am not waiting that long again.

also any advice from people who have had it done twice on same knee?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Shane
    p.s Happy new year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Ray Moran in Santry clinic widely regarded as the top guy.not sure of cost as it is a long time since mine. McGoldrick is another name I hear often. Health insurance cover any of it?

It is possible to be operational without getting reconstruction. Kieran McGeeney and Conor Mortimer are two names that come to mind.

RE advice. It's likely your rehab wasn't as good as it should have been which is common amongst non-professional athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Had it twice on the same knee, done by mcgoldrick in the hermitage. Yeah, he is very very good. The main thing is the rehab, rehab and more rehab. Can not stress it enough.
    I had the same thing as you, had the first op, spent 10 months in rehab, went back playin ball, really happy, always warm up properly but about 3 months later was cycling to work, bike slid on a man hole cover, I put the foot down to save myself falling off, the bike twisted under me with the knee planted and the patella graft stretched and pulled out of the pegs. agony.
    He was able to re-use the graft though so I didnt need another one out of the other knee or the hamstring. 3 months rehab that time.
    I went in on the VHI so most of it was covered so cant tell you costs but his receptionist will give you the costs over the phone, I picked mcgoldrick as moran was booked for months and was happy enough with the decision even with the second tear. The hermitage is a very nice place but I imagine it would be costly if paying private. He'll need the MRI obviously, I think its cheaper to get it yourself in santry and send the CD to him. any other Qs, post here or pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Paul Murphy in the Beacon did mine. I thought he was excellent. He did a MCL and an ACL reconstruction on the same knee for me. It was covered by my VHI though, so I have no idea of the cost. He used tendons from my thigh for the ACL and the thigh still cramps easily 3 years on. I don't know if that was bound to happen tho.

Advertisement