Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started

Options
  • 30-12-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am 16 and interested in doing my firearms training certificate .. I would like to know how I would go about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Everything you need is in the BIG RED ANNOUNCEMENT at the top of the forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you dont need to do the training cert you are entitled to apply for a full licence at 16. you will need to do a safety course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

juice1304 wrote: »
    you dont need to do the training cert you are entitled to apply for a full licence at 16. you will need to do a safety course though.

Training cert and safety course is the same thing.
    Same course.

No they're not. One is a course and the other a "provisional license" for a firearm.

A training certificate is given to someone of any age, but usually for those under 16 and above 14, to allow them to possess a firearm while uner the supervision of the originally licensed person. With a training cert they may not actually possess or store the firearm without the "owners" supervision.

A safety course is also called a competency course and is done by people who are seeking their first firearms license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    No they're not. One is a course and the other a "provisional license" for a firearm.

A training certificate is given to someone of any age, but usually for those under 16 and above 14, to allow them to possess a firearm while uner the supervision of the originally licensed person. With a training cert they may not actually possess or store the firearm without the "owners" supervision.

A safety course is also called a competency course and is done by people who are seeking their first firearms license.

Hi Cass I know the difference of the two my son and I went through the process last summer, ( I was not seeking my first licence but did it to be there to give the lad a hand and just to have it done for my self).
    The NAGC course had a mixture of experienced shooters doing the course for differing reasons and a couple of lads there for their training licence.
    My point was the course ran by the NARGC is all the one

• Advertisement

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Hi Cass I know the difference of the two my son and I went through the process last summer, ( I was not seeking my first licence but did it to be there to give the lad a hand and just to have it done for my self).
    Then you done a safety/competency course.
    The NAGC course had a mixture of experienced shooters doing the course for differing reasons and a couple of lads there for their training licence.
    My point was the course ran by the NARGC is all the one
    You don't understand. The NARGC, no more than any other body, is legally not allowed to hand out training certificates.

They may provide training courses on game, guns (these are their safety/competency courses), but in terms of what the OP is asking for the NARGC cannot give training certificates for firearms.

So i think the confusion lies in the name.

Then you done a safety/competency course.

You don't understand. The NARGC, no more than any other body, is legally not allowed to hand out training certificates.

They may provide training courses on game, guns (these are their safety/competency courses), but in terms of what the OP is asking for the NARGC cannot give training certificates for firearms.

So i think the confusion lies in the name.

Ah Cass I know the NARGC can't give out training certificates.
    I ment the course that had to be done to get the the cert from the "guards", is the some course sat by a 14 year old looking for his training cert and a 16 year old looking for his first licence in his own Wright or for that sake someone doing it because he wants to become the club safety officer or just because he just wanted to have it done( like me)
    My point was all need to do the same course.
    I may have put it down wrong very sorry

That is all it was. Confusion in what was meant.

I done a couple of those courses, had to for club reasons, and frankly i knew more than the instructors (that is not being big headed, most lads there were the same). For first timers there not bad, and to my ever lasting annoyance a necessity.

I have pretty strong feelings on the whole competency curse debate. I think it's a shame. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can put himself out to do these courses and because they're not regulated the Garda accept most without question or checking the credentials of the instructor.

That is all it was. Confusion in what was meant.

I done a couple of those courses, had to for club reasons, and frankly i knew more than the instructors (that is not being big headed, most lads there were the same). For first timers there not bad, and to my ever lasting annoyance a necessity.

I have pretty strong feelings on the whole competency curse debate. I think it's a shame. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can put himself out to do these courses and because they're not regulated the Garda accept most without question or checking the credentials of the instructor.

Well we're on the same wave length then. We had a practical part shooting clays, in our course it was more of a slagging and having the crack with the lads session than a proficiency course.
    Don't get me started on the NARGC (and the regional game councils even worse) I could rant on all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 junior12g

Thanks for that lads. I don't own a fire arm as of yet but I would like to be able to fire one legally.. The reason for this is my neighbour has shotguns and will let me use them. I know that on the licenceing form it asks for specifcations of the gun.what I would like to have is that I can be liecenced to fire a shotgun and not own it.. Is that possible?..

• Advertisement

junior12g wrote: »
    The reason for this is my neighbour has shotguns and will let me use them....................................... what I would like to have is that I can be licenced to fire a shotgun and not own it.. Is that possible?..
    Yes.

You get a joint license on his gun. Fill out the FCA1 as normal with the details of the gun, your details, etc. In section 3.3 fill in your neighbour's details, in section 3.5 tick no and then tick the other box to show the neighbour will still store the firearm. In section 4.1 fill in your neighbour's firearm certificate number.

Then write out a separate sheet of paper explaining the above sections, and that you will be using a neighbour's gun. You will also need a letter of permission from him to say he is giving you permission to license and use his gun, and that he will have it stored at his address, and not yours. You might be asked to get a gun safe and this is not voluntary. If asked you must comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 junior12g

Thanks Cass ..👍

Advertisement