Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kelly Bikes?

Options
  • 30-12-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at bikes on the cycle to work scheme. I've been shown Trek, Giant and Kelly hybrids.

I can find nothing online good or bad about Kelly. I was told they are cheaper as they come with more standard parts rather than parts made specifically by the company.

I'm hoping to spend around 750 on the bike and the rest on equipment.

Mainly cycling about 10k a day in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's a tough pick between the Kellys Physio 50 and the Giant Rapid 3. I really like the Aluxx alloy used in the Giant frames, same as the Defy range, but the groupset on the Physio seems superior. Both seem completely fine, the Giant name is a good bit more reputable, and I'd say the Giant is somewhat better looking too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently looking at bikes on the cycle to work scheme. I've been shown Trek, Giant and Kelly hybrids.

I can find nothing online good or bad about Kelly. I was told they are cheaper as they come with more standard parts rather than parts made specifically by the company.

I'm hoping to spend around 750 on the bike and the rest on equipment.

Mainly cycling about 10k a day in Dublin.

I've had a Kellys Neos sports hybrid for a number of years now. Very well built, was my main bike for a couple of years before getting a road bike, and has held up well on a couple of 200k+ spins in addition to many shorter ones. Still gets regular outings on rougher terrain such as the canal tow paths that the road bike isn't suited to. Regardless of make, I'd recommend a rigid forked bike rather than anything with suspension, and put a bit of your money towards good tyres. I've Marathon Supremes on my hybrid which are lighter, roll better, and give better puncture protection than any stock tyres you're likely to end up with. (NOT regular marathons, or marathon plus which are heavy)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

It's a tough pick between the Kellys Physio 50 and the Giant Rapid 3.
    That's the two. I can't remember the Trek one.

I was told the maintenance costs would be lower with the Kelly as it used standard off the shelf parts from shiamno (spelling ?) etc

I was told the maintenance costs would be lower with the Kelly as it used standard off the shelf parts from shiamno (spelling ?) etc

Both use very similar standard parts AFAIK.

Who told you that? According to the Kelly's website, the Physio 50 uses SRAM parts, not Shimano. Regardless, there'll be practically no difference in maintenance costs. It won't be hard to get replacement parts for any of those bikes, and it's up to yourself whether you go for a cheaper quality or the top notch replacement parts or anything in between.

• Advertisement

I don't want to sound stupid but I know nothing about bikes. I have a well clapped out Raleigh Manta Ray that's about 16 years old :o

I have to take everything I'm told by the shops as gospel as I don't know much else really. My key requirements are good quality and low weight.

I also want to get some extras like lights, bags on the back, a good lock, mud guards and a helmet.

The bike shop I was in said the Kelly would be cheaper to maintain but the others required parts from the manufacturers to maintain them and that there is no spurious parts options.

I don't want to sound stupid but I know nothing about bikes. I have a well clapped out Raleigh Manta Ray that's about 16 years old :o

I have to take everything I'm told by the shops as gospel as I don't know much else really. My key requirements are good quality and low weight.

I also want to get some extras like lights, bags on the back, a good lock, mud guards and a helmet.

The bike shop I was in said the Kelly would be cheaper to maintain but the others required parts from the manufacturers to maintain them and that there is no spurious parts options.

That's fine, you've come to the right place!

There's really a very small number of parts that would need to be replaced routinely, and they are almost always completely interchangeable. The tubes and tyres are the obvious one, after that there's the chain and cassette. All those would definitely not be bespoke to the manufacturer.

Anyway, don't let the maintenance lead your decision, it's not a big deal. They're all very similar quality, just go for whichever one you're drawn to. Personally, I'd pick the Giant, but there's not right or wrong answer.

I'd probably prefer the Giant myself tbh.

The only other question was that he had two which were pretty popular, one with solid front forks and the other with suspension fitted but it was lockable.

I do mount/dismount kurbs, although not hard and only when I really have to but I imagine fitting suspension would be completely unnecessary for that.

I'd probably prefer the Giant myself tbh.

The only other question was that he had two which were pretty popular, one with solid front forks and the other with suspension fitted but it was lockable.

I do mount/dismount kurbs, although not hard and only when I really have to but I imagine fitting suspension would be completely unnecessary for that.

Yep, completely unnecessary. It's a lot of extra weight without any real extra functionality.

Yep, completely unnecessary. It's a lot of extra weight without any real extra functionality.

Perfect, exactly what I had thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Im not an expert on the whole parts etc but I had a kellys race bike a few years ago and found it fine to ride and service etc. The one I had had standard shimano groupset, the one below 105, cant remember the name

Great bike, as you said not much online about them online or in any magazines, so hard to call

Finally got a chance to go and look this evening.

I had a ride on a Giant Rapid 3. Seemed a lovely bike, nice and light. Possibly a bit over-kill for my usage but I do like it. They had a cheaper one, Rapid 4, but I could feel a noticable difference between them

The only thing that struck me as odd was that it had cantilever brakes. I thought these were done away with years ago?

Anyway, I'm assuming necessary equipment will be lights, helmet, lock and mud gaurds. Anything else I've missed? I'm not sure if a carrier or stand is necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I'm not sure if a carrier or stand is necessary?
    Completely unnecessary especially the stand. Save your money and the extra weight.

Re your concerns about replacement parts - if you are doing 10k a day, most of the parts should last a long time with a little basic care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Are you sure it has cantilever brakes?

I've been looking at photos of, what I think is that bike.
    It has dual pivot calliper brakes.
    If this is the case, it is the usual type of brake on that type of bike.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Are you sure it has cantilever brakes?

That's what it looked like to me, looked like the really old type of brakes. They seemed to work great however.

They are, as I said dual pivot calliper brakes, modern looking, they should work quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They're standard road brakes - Tektro R359 - not cantilever.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    They are, as I said dual pivot calliper brakes, modern looking, they should work quite well.
    They're standard road brakes - Tektro R359 - not cantilever.

Apologies guys, the guy said they were cantilever. They worked very well tbf to them.

• Advertisement

And there we have it folks.

I've ordered a new Giant Rapid 3 from think bike in Rathmines. Very helpful to deal with.

Hopefully the Dept of Education don't take an age to approve my cycle to work application so I can pick it up.

Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Old thread but someone might be interested.....
    Recently got a Kellys Madman 50 MTB on the CTW scheme. Hadnt come across them before. Would definitely recommend. Check the spec on their website. Not a top of the range but very decent for price, under €600. Not sure what final price will be on the CTW scheme. My guess is somewhere around €450 which is serious VFM after having taken it on a few trails. A general note, The wheels are 27's so if you usually get a medium frame the small frame would do. Example, the Kellys S frame is bigger than my old Raleigh M frame. The LBS guy said the frames now with the 27 wheels make the frames bigger.

My old Kellys bike still going strong and still used very regularly for light off road duties and as a general hack. A couple replaced BBs over the years as well as the usual cassettes, chain rings and chains but been very reliable for all that. Surprised its still going for all the abuse that it's had.

Does anyone know if a mtb inner tube (26") will make do for a 27.5" tyre?

Does anyone know if a mtb inner tube (26") will make do for a 27.5" tyre?

Not sure. I imagine you'd get away with it but it may be slightly more prone to puncture. I've used a 24" tube in a 26" wheel on one of the kids bikes before with no issue.

thanks for that info....

Advertisement