Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speeds

Options
  • 30-12-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi,

I was hoping I could get some help or just an answer in here. We have Eircom broadband in our home house (Business Lite Plus Next Gen) which says it has speeds up to 8 Meg. I have checked everything inside the house (cables, connections etc.) but the speeds are still quite poor. I done the speed test from your own site and got the following results:

Test date 30/12/2014 17:53:25
    Download Speed 0.87 Mb/s This is equal to 866 kbps
    Upload Speed 0.09 Mb/s This is equal to 86 kbps
    Latency 235 ms

Would these poor results be down to the cable coming into the house so there's nothing we can do about it? Also, I know there is a set series of steps you usually have to go through with the spiel "try turning the router on and off, check connections etc" but I have done all of this so no point doing it again. I just want to check if there's something more "advanced" I am missing or if it is just the cable quality that has us at poor speeds. Cheers. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi,

I was hoping I could get some help or just an answer in here. We have Eircom broadband in our home house (Business Lite Plus Next Gen) which says it has speeds up to 8 Meg. I have checked everything inside the house (cables, connections etc.) but the speeds are still quite poor. I done the speed test from your own site and got the following results:

Test date 30/12/2014 17:53:25
    Download Speed 0.87 Mb/s This is equal to 866 kbps
    Upload Speed 0.09 Mb/s This is equal to 86 kbps
    Latency 235 ms

Would these poor results be down to the cable coming into the house so there's nothing we can do about it? Also, I know there is a set series of steps you usually have to go through with the spiel "try turning the router on and off, check connections etc" but I have done all of this so no point doing it again. I just want to check if there's something more "advanced" I am missing or if it is just the cable quality that has us at poor speeds. Cheers. 
    Hi IR1SH RANGER
    as you say there are a number of elements which can affect speeds there. It may be distance from exchange, profile setting or internal wiring.
    As you have done some troubleshooting already, I would suggest giving out tech support team a call on 1890260260 and have them troubleshoot with you.
    Before you call, ensure that you are connected by ethernet, rather than wi fi as this offers better test results.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

I feel that they turn the speeds down after they win your business ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

I feel that they turn the speeds down after they win your business ??
    Hi leinsterdude
    I can absolutely confirm that this is never the case. I have responded to your previous mail also, if you can send on details I will have this investigated for you.
    Tony

Advertisement