Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees

Options
  • 30-12-2014 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

I'm considering going back to college as a mature student next year.

Previously I've dropped out of two courses, one Level 7 and the other Level 8.

I'm guessing I would have to pay full fees if I was to return to a new course. Is this the case? I don't know too much about how the system works in this regard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Minjor wrote: »
    I'm considering going back to college as a mature student next year.

Previously I've dropped out of two courses, one Level 7 and the other Level 8.

I'm guessing I would have to pay full fees if I was to return to a new course. Is this the case? I don't know too much about how the system works in this regard.

It can depend on how long ago you left college and how much of the courses you had completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

paperclip2 wrote: »
    It can depend on how long ago you left college and how much of the courses you had completed.

Would have left in 2013 and done a year of each of the courses I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Sup08

Would have left in 2013 and done a year of each of the courses I mentioned.

You may only be eligible for fees if you are progressing on your new course to a year greater than the highest year of your two previous courses at undergraduate level.
    If there was a gap of 5 years between entering the course from 2013 then it would be progression from the year of the course you last attended in 2013.

Sup08 wrote: »
    You may only be eligible for fees if you are progressing on your new course to a year greater than the highest year of your two previous courses at undergraduate level.
    If there was a gap of 5 years between entering the course from 2013 then it would be progression from the year of the course you last attended in 2013.

I would intend to start a new course from the first year of that course. Given that in 2015, it would be a gap of two years from the last course I was in, what level of fees would they be?

Is it the regular rate around 3000 euro or a higher amount? Apologies, I don't quite understand what you are saying in the second part of your post.

I would intend to start a new course from the first year of that course. Given that in 2015, it would be a gap of two years from the last course I was in, what level of fees would they be?

Is it the regular rate around 3000 euro or a higher amount? Apologies, I don't quite understand what you are saying in the second part of your post.

You would not be eligible for free fees if you are entering the first year of a new course.

If you attended a full year of an approved course, you are not eligible for fees until you progress to the subsequent year.

Examples:
    Done Year 1 you must be entering year 2.
    Done Year 2 you must be entering year 3.

So if you done a course 4 years ago and made it attended year 2 but then left and wen back to year 1 of a new course, then you would not be eligible for fees until you are entering year 3.

It can get a bit messy when you have attended but not complete courses.

A gap of 5 years from studies must be attained before you become eligible for fees for a new course once you have not gained a qualification.

• Advertisement

You would not be eligible for free fees if you are entering the first year of a new course.

If you attended a full year of an approved course, you are not eligible for fees until you progress to the subsequent year.

Examples:
    Done Year 1 you must be entering year 2.
    Done Year 2 you must be entering year 3.

So if you done a course 4 years ago and made it attended year 2 but then left and wen back to year 1 of a new course, then you would not be eligible for fees until you are entering year 3.

It can get a bit messy when you have attended but not complete courses.

A gap of 5 years from studies must be attained before you become eligible for fees for a new course once you have not gained a qualification.

Thanks. Forgot to mention in the last year (2013-2014) I completed a part-time course.

It was affiliated with D.I.T. Since a qualification was gained, does this change the picture in any way?

Thanks. Forgot to mention in the last year (2013-2014) I completed a part-time course.

It was affiliated with D.I.T. Since a qualification was gained, does this change the picture in any way?

What was the qualification?

What was the qualification?

It's a CPD Diploma.

It's a CPD Diploma.

In what field?

Can it gain you advanced entry?

In what field?

Can it gain you advanced entry?

Music.

It would have given the option of continuing with a related degree course if I so wished but I didn't choose to do so at the time.

I would most likely wish to do a course in an unrelated field and in a different college.

• Advertisement

Music.

It would have given the option of continuing with a related degree course if I so wished but I didn't choose to do so at the time.

I would most likely wish to do a course in an unrelated field and in a different college.

Well unless you are progressing from your previous courses then you would not be eligible for fees. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think after you complete first year (which you won't be entitled to free fees for) you may be entitled to free fees for the years after that. It's worth researching anyways.

PLL wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I think after you complete first year (which you won't be entitled to free fees for) you may be entitled to free fees for the years after that. It's worth researching anyways.

Yes once they progress to a subsequent year on an approved course.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It pretty much looks like you would have to pay full fees. Whats the course you are applying for?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

PLL wrote: »
    Yes once they progress to a subsequent year on an approved course.

Yeah, I remember hearing before this is how it works alright.
    It pretty much looks like you would have to pay full fees. Whats the course you are applying for?

Looking at Politics in TCD, UCD or Maynooth perhaps.

What would the full fees be approximately? Can't find any information on the figures online.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement