Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mail order brides

• 30-12-2014 7:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

Whats AHs thoughts on these?. An older guy in his 40s up the road from the family home has bagged one of these. She's a quality Asian lady probably in her late 20s. Would you ever consider going down that route?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tugboats wrote: »
    Whats AHs thoughts on these?. An older guy in his 40s up the road from the family home has bagged one of these. She's a quality Asian lady probably in her late 20s. Would you ever consider going down that route?

Jaysus they even package them for you too, nice! Do you get a receipt?

Hope he didn't get 10% extra free ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Is there a catalogue of them or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Howard Marks in his book said he started the mail order bride thing by bringing women in from Thailand via contacts in the criminal user underworld there when importing weed into Britain. Allowed gay men to get a beard and Thai women a British passport back when Thailand was dirt poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is there a half decent returns policy if you're not 100%happy, and what's the warranty length if so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Is postage included??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Can't be any worse than Irish women....

*Sits back and waits to be torn alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think it's awful actually. Men wanting nursemaids for when they're older, mostly. Poor women coming here to get away from poverty and ending up changing nappies for the rest of their lives. That's not a marriage, it's just hired servitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

HAPPY NEW YEAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Love how Irish people automatically assume an Asian bride is a mail order one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How much would the stamp cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭omerin

Top tip: Look out for the Adams apple before any purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think it's awful actually. Men wanting nursemaids for when they're older, mostly. Poor women coming here to get away from poverty and ending up changing nappies for the rest of their lives. That's not a marriage, it's just hired servitude.

I don't see how it's any different than any other business relationship.

I don't support human trafficking or slavery, but if someone *wants* a better financial situation, to live in another (more desirable) country, to provide a better life for their children, in exchange for a service....why not?

My Mom wanted those things, so she got a job. Now she's a nurse. And if she ever decides to stop going to work, they stop paying her. She makes good money, but she also has to hurt herself trying to move 160kg patients and literally clean up human waste.

It's not pleasant.
    She certainly doesn't enjoy it.

But she's doing it because she wants to and can quit whenever she wants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I don't love how you're assuming that I'm only assuming she's one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Love how you assume that because one person thinks that way, "Irish people" think that way. Are you Irish yourself? If you are, then you would have to include yourself in the above generalisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Not to mention servicing their husbands in the bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Love how you assume that because one person thinks that way, "Irish people" think that way. Are you Irish yourself? If you are, then you would have to include yourself in the above generalisation.

It's not an Irish thing either, if you go Thailand and your with a Thai girl they all think she's a prostitute, happened a friend of mine when we were there. He was seeing a girl from Australia who had Thai heritage. We got looks from locals (even though it's common) and westerners so definitely not an Irish thing. It happened when we went to a wedding in London aswell.

Can't beat a good generalisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I recently watched a documentary hosted by Jodie Marsh about it.

She met a couple who were married as part of a mail order bride deal. They ran a mail order bride business together now.

So basically men pay and they went over to the Ukraine where they did a kind of speed dating thing with Ukrainian women. the women and men then mark on a sheet which men they would possibly go on a date with. The men only have like two days on the trip to click and find a bride.

One man was in his 50's a bit slimy. Said the reason he wanted a mail order bride was because American Women were basically too independent and he wanted a more 'traditional wife'. It was a bit ugh when he was slow dancing and oogling a 20 something year old woman who clearly did not want to be there.

Another man who was in his 60's had been divorced 3 times said he couldn't find a woman so this was another try. He said that he felt uncomfortable because the only women available to him were in their early 20s. Another man in the group said to him 'that's great sure youl get 15 - 20 years with her' and he said that it wasn't just him he was concerned about but the girl. What would happen her. I think he knew that there was no way she was really interested him.

Another guy was from wales. He seemed kind of shy and socially awkard. He met a girl and I think they stayed in contact.

Another weird guy who was young and not bad looking but there was something off about him. He proposed to a woman on the weekend trip after meeting her just twice and they were set to get married.

She then interviewed some of the Ukrainian women. We seen their homes, how they lived and why they wanted to get out of Ukraine. Basically they were on a mission to get out at the cost of giving up finding real love and settling for an arrangement and better lifestyle. There was something sad about that.

There's also something kind of selfish on both sides. The man and the woman are together for their own needs.

She interviewed a mail order couple who seemed very happy. He was in his 50s and she was in her 30s same age as his son. They seemed genuinely in love.

She interviewed a woman who had married a man who switched the minute they married. He became controlling and abusive. She left him and he stalked her. He ended up shot and killed by the police I think. She went on with her life but was traumatised. it seemed he thought he owned her.

I suppose it can work and maybe love can develop between two people but I would say that this is rare. I think it is definitely a business arrangement which is kind of sad to me but if it works then each to their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Kim Kardashian wasn't a mail order bride was she?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

No, there's no way her arse would fit in an An Post van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not in the traditional sense, but she is Kanye West's cover story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Saralee4 wrote: »
    She then interviewed some of the Ukrainian women. We seen their homes, how they lived and why they wanted to get out of Ukraine. Basically they were on a mission to get out at the cost of giving up finding real love and settling for an arrangement and better lifestyle. There was something sad about that.

I think I saw the dame documentary. People think it's horrible but arranged marriages have been around for centuries. In a lot of countries you barely meet the bride before you get married.

I knew an arab girl who knew she was going to have an arranged marriage someday. She was ok with it. Her view was that romance is a very western idea and the arranged marriage was more practical. Her family would pick someone nice and they would build a family together.

When you see how the Ukrainian women live, some in what we would consider abject poverty, you can see the attraction in an arranged marriage. Romance is all well and good but when your option if you stay is Oleg the tanners son (Who isn't that great a catch) and abject poverty, you can see the attraction in trying to find some nice foreigner who'll take care of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My next wife will be mail order as soon as i find a foolproof and environmentally friendly plan on how to dispose of this one first.

She will be thai.

Hopefully with the age that's in it they will be customisable

PayPal preferred method of payment. I can dispute the transaction if she disappoints

Grayson wrote: »
    I think I saw the dame documentary. People think it's horrible but arranged marriages have been around for centuries. In a lot of countries you barely meet the bride before you get married.

I knew an arab girl who knew she was going to have an arranged marriage someday. She was ok with it. Her view was that romance is a very western idea and the arranged marriage was more practical. Her family would pick someone nice and they would build a family together.

When you see how the Ukrainian women live, some in what we would consider abject poverty, you can see the attraction in an arranged marriage. Romance is all well and good but when your option if you stay is Oleg the tanners son (Who isn't that great a catch) and abject poverty, you can see the attraction in trying to find some nice foreigner who'll take care of you.

yea I agree in some cases it can work. And some people are living so badly that they wouldn't ever have a romance or happy ending as such anyway because their life is so miserable due to poverty.

My main issue is the expectation.

It seemed to me on that documentary that a good few of the men wanted submissive women and I feel that with mail order brides there is a risk of the woman being objectified since she is essentially bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

There's still a sizeable chunks of Western males who will only be happy with the old fashioned notion of a wife that is, one who stays home cooks cleans bears and looks after children while he works and controls family finances.
    Problem is, finding a western woman to comply.
    My own 17 year old daughter or any of her huge gang of galpals will never ever be beholden to any man , or woman for the lesbians among them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭niamhstokes

Imagine if Irish women had no choice but to become mail order brides and marry old men in far off lands. If you put yourself in the shoes of the mail order brides it puts things into perspective. Really horrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

I would not feel to sorry for them they no exactly what they're doing, i know a man who met a girl in Thailand, he visited a few times sent money over looked after her family, They finally got married and moved over here, It did not take long before she changed her colours, After a few months she started to complain about everything and she wanted to move, They ended up moving to a new house and thats when she wanted a divorce and she was entitled to 50% of everything, Before in the other house she was entitled to nothing, She's probably back in Thailand living it up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Imagine if Irish women had no choice but to become mail order brides and marry old men in far off lands. If you put yourself in the shoes of the mail order brides it puts things into perspective. Really horrible :(

There is a place in Clare for these women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I might ask the missus to get me one for my birthday. They sound like great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Does anyone wonder why there's no mail order husbands? Surely there's some drop dead gorgeous Thai/Ukrainian men who'd be prepared to marry a slightly creepy Western woman & escape a life of poverty. Why is it only women who seem to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Again while I don't support trafficking or people doing something against their will one has to look at this objectively. Many women (and perhaps some men) chose to 'marry-up'. We all overlook flaws in our partners because of other positive attributes. People really need to get this ridiculous idea of 'Hollywood love' out of their heads, it's the reason IMHO so many marriages fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Again while I don't support trafficking or people doing something against their will one has to look at this objectively. Many women (and perhaps some men) chose to 'marry-up'. We all overlook flaws in our partners because of other positive attributes. People really need to get this ridiculous idea of 'Hollywood love' out of their heads, it's the reason IMHO so many marriages fail.

I'll have you know I get my ridiculous notions of love from novels, not hollywood. :P

Anyone else now got an ad for Russian brides at the bottom of the screen? :pac:

Custardpi wrote: »
    Does anyone wonder why there's no mail order husbands? Surely there's some drop dead gorgeous Thai/Ukrainian men who'd be prepared to marry a slightly creepy Western woman & escape a life of poverty. Why is it only women who seem to do this?

Different needs in men and women for their mates. I doubt any of this has much to do with looks (beyond a basic level). It's generally men that can't find mates here for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

They will be fine until they start on the curried chips. Then they get rough and lazy like the irish birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

They will be fine until they start on the curried chips. Then they get rough and lazy like the irish birds
    Not true in my case.

Taco-fries are my preference to curried chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Different needs in men and women for their mates. I doubt any of this has much to do with looks (beyond a basic level). It's generally men that can't find mates here for whatever reason.
    Well, also because women and men are physiologically different. If you paid for a husband, what is to say he wouldn't become violent and hurt you? I'm not saying it's impossible for a wife to be the violent one, just that it would be seen as less of a threat.

As to the OP, I think mail order is incredibly sad. Enslaving someone for companionship, particularly a person from a different country? It's no better than prostitution, arguably worse. Marriage should be between willing participants who love each other and want to be together. I can't fathom why anyone would do something so shallow, disrespectful and pathetic.

I didn't even know I had a opinion on this until just now, sorry about the vitriol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It seems to be mostly Turkish or West Indian Men for the older Irish or British Lady.

I worked in the far east for a few years and have seen some of these "arrangements" become real relationships and others descend into abusive disasters (money, jealousy, exploitation - on both sides!).

I was talking to one guy recently and he and his wife are very happy, but is planning to retire in his 50's, not because he can really afford to but because he's already paid for 8 nieces/nephews schooling and want's out before they expect him to pay for their college fees. It's tough on her as well being so far from her family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

MadsL wrote: »

So what happened in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Mail order? Can you not do that on the internet now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

can you try the item before you buy

is there 30 day return policy

if you don't have credit card how do you order one

can you order 2 in case you don't like one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So what happened in the end?

Search for Bubbles, it doesn't end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

There's actually a pretty big industry in this too except it usually involves the 50+ western woman going on holiday and falling for her 20 year old toy boy who promises to love her forever so that she'll bring him back to the UK or wherever.

Strangely enough in the tabloids its the men who are portrayed as the exploiters in this case. Double standards no?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well more and more people are meeting with online dating, so if you just add an international flavour... That said the economic differences are the issue when it comes to imbalance. It would depend on the cultural differences too I suppose. I would imagine there would be fewer with say a Russian and Irish pairing than a Thai and Irish pairing. The silly age differences are another major issue. And educational differences too.

I'm sure such relationships can and do work out. I've known a few down the years and a couple did work out well. In those cases though, the people had less than a ten year age gap and were about the same level in looks and education. I recall reading somewhere that in the US at least these "mail order" relationships were less likely to divorce.

I would depend on the women's background culture. EG in certain areas and demographics in Russia women outnumber the men and are better educated and early death and alcoholism is a major problem in the men(I gather Ukraine can be similar), so the pool of available local men of a similar background and stature is quite small and much smaller than in say Ireland. I could well understand a Russian woman looking farther afield for potential partners. It's less of an economic thing than a practical thing. Thailand would be very different on that score. So while you might find well educated "middle class" Russian women with careers signing up to local marriage agencies, well educated middle class Thai women sighing up would be far less likely as they would have much more choice locally.

The problem then is the men who sign up for such agencies. Of the documentaries I've seen down the years and of the couples I've known locally, the men were, well, not to put too fine a point on it, a dead loss in the local dating scene(except for the two I knew were the marriages worked. Big shock). If you see any of the documentaries on this subject, the guys involved are either decrepit, major uggos, or social misfits to some degree, or all of the above. The pool of halfway decent looking, well sorted in life and socially aware 35 year old guys are very thin on the ground it seems.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

My wife - acquired in the normal way by flowers, chocs, meals out and a huge dick - is quite into genealogy.

Looking way back to the Greats or Great Greats, it was quite common for the husband to die relatively young. Through war, accidents or poor health care.

The women always remarried quite quickly and you had to wonder why. Then you realised that there was very little social welfare or widows pensions - they had very little choice :(. Its not like that could pick up the graphic design business where they left it 15 years ago.

you do get foreign men especially with tourist women. They often scam women but they do it in a way where they kind of con the woman with flattery and romance.

I don't think women will go down the mail order route but often they go to certain destinations probably in search of a man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Saralee4 wrote: »
    you do get foreign men especially with tourist women. They often scam women but they do it in a way where they kind of con the woman with flattery and romance.

I don't think women will go down the mail order route but often they go to certain destinations probably in search of a man.

It certainly happens though I do wonder why these men are often perceived as scam artists while mail order brides are seen as victims. I can only assume old fashioned notion s of chivalry and the respective roles of men and women are the major factor. And yet in both cases there's a clear trade of affection for economic stability.

tritium wrote: »
    It certainly happens though I do wonder why these men are often perceived as scam artists while mail order brides are seen as victims. I can only assume old fashioned notion s of chivalry and the respective roles of men and women are the major factor. And yet in both cases there's a clear trade of affection for economic stability.

It could be that the men seem to be looking for submissive woman (not all of them but this can be about a control thing) and the woman are looking for confident men who sweep them off their feet.

I have no doubt there are women in the mail order who are not submissive and in fact conning the men like the men con the women but that's what happens when you mix business with pleasure!

I just think especially when it's an older person with a significantly younger one then it's almost like "a few more years and he'll be dead" kind of mentality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement