Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals on Groupon, livingsocial etc

Options
  • 30-12-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi, one of the voucher sites has a deal I am interested in, its for a car service, however I remember hearing a year or so ago that this particular garage was caught "clocking" cars, so am not sure if they would be ok for a service. I know a lot of you will know where I am talking about its on a main road out of the city, dont want to mention the name in case I get in trouble;) Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

I've used this groupon before, without any issue. They even diagnosed a problem with brakes, which at the time I thought they were just trying to bleed me for some more money. Got it checked at another garage who agreed and ended up costing me €20 more. I also recently bought a car from a garage outside of Galway who people told me to steer clear of, done for clocking, etc. Bought the car anyway and couldn't be happier with no issue. You have to assess these things yourself as everyone seems to have a story about every garage.

You've got the groupon so use it, worst that can happen is they use cheap parts/oil(which they must for these prices).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So thread isn't about deals, it's about whether to use a certain garage or not when they've been caught clocking?
    Tbh, I would not use them myself but just because they clocked doesn't mean they won't do good car service.
    Make sure it's specified beforehand each item that will be done during the service and what oil they will use for your car (also of course check this is the right oil to use).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Used them once for some work and they generated a list of other things that they insisted needed doing. I am mechanically savvy and know they were talking crap so declined. Based on this experience i would hazard that they use the cheap groupon offers to get customers in and upsell a load of work on top of the oil change. If you take the offer, get a second opinion from another garage before getting additional work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PYRAS13

Same me. Have bad experience with this garage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm not a fan of dishonesty, so no, wouldn't use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Could be a coincidence, but my car has never run right after availing of this. Felt stupid for abandoning my regular mechanic to save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Could be a coincidence, but my car has never run right after availing of this. Felt stupid for abandoning my regular mechanic to save a few quid.

What model car do you have? Any specific symptoms? Perhaps they used the wrong grade oil on your car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement