Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows created a temporary paging file on your PC??

Options
  • 30-12-2014 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If someone can explain the above to me, as i've been meaning to ask this as it's the 3rd time this has happened in the past 2 weeks.

As only today, i had the browser open & then a dialog box comes up & says i've to close it & save what i'm doing.

As i've not seen this come up before, so i've included a few screenshots of the dialog boxes to show.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

It looks like your running low on disk space on your c drive, meaning less room for virtual memory which may explain why youve been getting these messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How much RAM do you have. What OS is it. What are you mainly doing with the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz
    Ram: 2038 MB, Screen: 1280x800

I couldn't remember where to get them, but i had Handbrake open y'day & remember seeing it in the encode log.

But at the moment i see the Virtual memory is now set at 581MB in

Control Panel\System and Security\System

R/click on System Properties on the Advanced tab, click on the settings below in Performance & then on the Advanced tab (sorry if you know the path)

Btw I've only got half a dozen tabs on Firefox open that's all, but i've included pics of Task Manager that may explain more.

Also Is it better to let the system manage it or did i hear somewhere that you have to set it for 3x the RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

As gouche said you're probably low on disk space on your C drive. How much space is available on that disk? You could try set the page file to use your E drive though that appears to be an external disk and it may not be a long term solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You're very low on ram for what you are doing. It must be hammering the disk hard. The paging file be getting corrupt or the disk might be failing. Make a back up before you do any more.

Is there much space free on the disk when you are using handbrake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Gyck wrote: »
    As gouche said you're probably low on disk space on your C drive. How much space is available on that disk? You could try set the page file to use your E drive though that appears to be an external disk and it may not be a long term solution.

There's about 1.5GB left of about 186GB, gonna move more over to E Drive, how much do you need to have on C: Drive?
    beauf wrote: »
    You're very low on ram for what you are doing. It must be hammering the disk hard. The paging file be getting corrupt or the disk might be failing. Make a back up before you do any more.

Is there much space free on the disk when you are using handbrake?

I've noticed no matter how many tabs you have open on firefox, whether it's 2 or 10 it's still the same, even then when you close out of it, as i've known it to be a memory hog.

I wouldn't know much on the paging file to get corrupt, what's the first sign of it as i'm having problems with Win updates not d/loading, will upload pics of that.

I don't use handbrake much, but dont have any browsers open for that, as its cpu intensive i've heard.

Advertisement