Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why wont a dvd player play mp4 files?

• 30-12-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If someone can please tell me, as it says it can play MPEG4 files, but not mp4 files?

What is the difference between the two?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is an LG bluray player in Power city's sale at the moment for 49.95 plays avi mkv and mp4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

spurious wrote: »
    There is an LG bluray player in Power city's sale at the moment for 49.95 plays avi mkv and mp4.

May not solve his problem as not all AVI files are the same. AVI is a container so the video inside may have different codecs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Have bookmarked that link for future use & it explains a lot, inc a lot of head-scratching! especially those Lidl Silvercrest mp4 dvd players with usb function when out, now unused redface.png

Does that one have a usb function? as my older brother who's player won't play the files, he got an upscaled LG DVD player for my other brother for xmas, but unbeknownst to him, he already got a Samsung dvd player in Tesco that won't play them either!

But according to that link, looks like most dvd players will only play avi files & would be better off swappin the dvd player for a bluray player
    May not solve his problem as not all AVI files are the same. AVI is a container so the video inside may have different codecs.
    They're all .mp4 files, as i don't find many .avi files as was told that ages that mp4 is far better afaik.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes it has a USB slot in the front and so far, it has played anything I've thrown at it burnt to Data DVD or via the slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Yes it has a USB slot in the front and so far, it has played anything I've thrown at it burnt to Data DVD or via the slot.

Thanks, can i get the link of the one described, so i can get him to swap the LG dvd player for the LG BD player if there's one similar in Tesco L'kenny, if not get it in Curry's.

On a related note, i told my other brother to get a saorview box, not only to get RTE/TV3, but i found out by accident (when helping a neighbour) it can play anything as well in the USB section in it too.

It's this one: http://powercity.ie/?par=10-15-BP240
    Bah. Their sale ended yesterday and it's gone up a fiver. Might be worth a haggle back to the 49.95.

Advertisement