Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castle in West Cork?

Options
  • 30-12-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I happened to watch the movie "War of the Buttons" (1994) shot mainly between Unionhall and Castletownshend.
    About 1 hour into the movie, these two bands of kids fight among the ruins of a castle that I presume is in the area where the movie was shot.
    Please, could anyone give me some more details about this castle?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Hi there. I haven't watched that movie in a long time but I think it is Castlefreke, near Long Strand. Nearest village is Rathbarry but can also be approached from the Rosscarbery side.

If you google Castlefreke I'm sure you'll get plenty of pictures/info.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 HenryCrun

Tourism Ireland has a brochure on "The Atlantic Film Trail" with locations for a number of films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The Peanut wrote: »
    Hi there. I haven't watched that movie in a long time but I think it is Castlefreke, near Long Strand. Nearest village is Rathbarry but can also be approached from the Rosscarbery side.
    If you google Castlefreke I'm sure you'll get plenty of pictures/info.

Thank you, it seems the right spot!
    I had checked the internet but that castle looked too elegant in the aerial photos. But looking at the photos better reveals a wing of the building not restored, the northeast side, and I may assume that 20 years ago the conditions of the castle were even worse.
    Thanks so much, happy new year!
    HenryCrun wrote: »
    Tourism Ireland has a brochure on "The Atlantic Film Trail" with locations for a number of films.

Yeah, I know that website, but it says nothing apart from the fact that Unionhall was one of the locations.
    Thanks for replying, happy new year!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Just to make you aware that if it is Castlefreke, it's been restored, mostly, and is in private hands. It's not publicly accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Castlefrek is more of a stately home kind of a castle then a castle castle.

• Advertisement

reic wrote: »
    Just to make you aware that if it is Castlefreke, it's been restored, mostly, and is in private hands. It's not publicly accessible.

Thank you, very helpful of you!
    Balmed Out wrote: »
    Castlefrek is more of a stately home kind of a castle then a castle castle.

Yes, I have seen photos on the web of it. As a matter of fact I was more intrested in the side that is shown in the movie that, according to the aerial images from Google Maps, is more or less unchanged.

But, as Reic says, if now it's privately owned I think that getting close to it and having a look could be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

im not sure its the castle in the movie but there was at least once in the last few years when they held an open day
    You could try asking here
    http://www.duchasclonakiltyheritage.com/index.php/contact-us.

im not sure its the castle in the movie but there was at least once in the last few years when they held an open day

It seems that the castle is the one featured in the movie, all visible details match.
    I have just sent a message to the link you have given, I'll let you know.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

if you need any other info ,pics etc i live nearby and could help out ..

if you need any other info ,pics etc i live nearby and could help out ..

Thanks a million, FluffyAngel, thanks a million!!!
    Only if you happen to go there (don't go there on purpose), please, could you take two or three photos and see if the place can be visited?
    I am quite sure that the part of building shown in the movie is the northeast wing, with two corner turrets and an arched doorway in a recessed wall.
    Again, thanks a million! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah got excited when I saw that link as I have been searching for ages fro the name of a movie that a few clips were shot down in Kilcrea abbey. but typical the link or page doesn't work

Milly33 wrote: »
    Ah got excited when I saw that link as I have been searching for ages fro the name of a movie that a few clips were shot down in Kilcrea abbey. but typical the link or page doesn't work

Can I ask you what link you're referring to, and what the movie was about?

Wasn't the movie "Caoineadh Airt Ui Laoire" (Lament for Arthur Leary)", 1975, by the director Bob Quinn, with Seán Bán Breathnach?
    This is the only thing I found so far linked to Kilcrea Abbey.

Hello oh it was the The Atlantic Film Trail when you look it up the link is dead

No that wasn't the movie.. I only heard about it when someone said could I find the false headstone in the abbey, that it was done for a movie that was shot there. Found it anywho and then one day it was on TV but I had missed the start.

There was also a shot of them on the cobh ferry.. I thought at the time it was Brendan Gleeson in the movie he was playing a guard with a bit of a drinking problem, helping out this lady who had come looking for some information.

Hello oh it was the The Atlantic Film Trail when you look it up the link is dead

Just checked the link

http://www.discoverireland.ie/getmedia/62055fe3-79d7-45de-a3b5-db3af0a6d2c9/Atlantic-Film-Trail-Brochure-FINAL.aspx

and it works fine. It's a PDF page, a 25-page brochure with 20 movie titles.
    Have a try :D

I will look for info about that movie.

Hey yep that is the one, can you actually scroll through the document. I have tried twice no on this PC and have tried on three others and it just jams

Hey yep that is the one, can you actually scroll through the document. I have tried twice no on this PC and have tried on three others and it just jams

Yes, I can actually scroll the pages to the last one.
    If you need it, I have downloaded a copy of the file and can send it to you (it's 3.5 MB).

That's odd I tried it again at home and it just jams.... Well if you could that would be great as it would be something that would interest me..Shucks your just too nice. thank you

It's more than ten days now since I wrote a message to that link, no answer so far.
    But that doesn't surprise me. I wrote several emails in the last 6 or 7 years to county councils and heritage offices around Ireland, but never, never, got a word of reply.
    I might think that nobody is behind those addresses or that they don't like to be bothered by people :mad:

Advertisement