Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G-Spot codec question

Options
  • 30-12-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was using G-spot to figure out what certain files were as they weren't playing on my telly via usb, as normally i can play mp4 files?

Below is what i got from G-spot:

Codec - Name - Size

mp4v MPEG-4 Video [Before] 2.31GB

avc1 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC [After] 1.55GB

I've not noticed mp4v before?

I've even tried to convert it to mp4 with Handbrake, but to no avail it won't play?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

Can you try opening it with a compatible player like vlc player or wmplayer.exe? mpv4 may not be a video file in the way you think, it could also be a registry key. Can you take a guess from the file name what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Seridisand wrote: »
    Can you try opening it with a compatible player like vlc player or wmplayer.exe? mpv4 may not be a video file in the way you think, it could also be a registry key. Can you take a guess from the file name what it is?

Apologies, i meant to say it was a film, as i can play it no bother with VLC, but usually play it via usb instead.

Oh okay, maybe I misunderstood the question.There both subsets of MPEG4 (mp4v and avc1), at a guess your file player is converting from one format to an internally recognised format or you're trying to play an unsupported format.
    If VLC player is recognising it as avc1, then the video is probably really MPEG2, but h.264 is common for Blu-Ray.

If they have suddenly stopped playing on your TV
    - have you updated/changed the TV
    - have the files ever played
    - have you installed the correct codec(s)
    - can you play similar files

Are you receiving an error message(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Seridisand wrote: »
    Oh okay, maybe I misunderstood the question.There both subsets of MPEG4 (mp4v and avc1), at a guess your file player is converting from one format to an internally recognised format or you're trying to play an unsupported format.
    If VLC player is recognising it as avc1, then the video is probably really MPEG2, but h.264 is common for Blu-Ray.

If they have suddenly stopped playing on your TV
    - have you updated/changed the TV
    - have the files ever played
    - have you installed the correct codec(s)
    - can you play similar files

Are you receiving an error message(s)?

Hi, thanks for the reply,

The VLC Player can play both formats mp4v & avc1, as i've always known it to be multi-format.

but it shows up as unsupported format via usb on telly

It was G-spot that recognised it as mp4v & Handbrake to convert it to mp4, as it's usually h.264 files that i play until i come across something different & usually check it off G-spot to see what's causing it.

- I've not changed TV
    - 1st time i played that file
    - Can you install codecs on a tv?
    - Yes, i can play similar files

Since you've never played the file before on the TV, there is something wrong with the MPEG4 case that the TV thinks is unsupported, so I would try to convert to something like a divx or MPEG1 file. To change or update the media player on the TV, you'd need a firmware update, not something you'd do for a media file.

• Advertisement
Advertisement