Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE returning to a reality-based booking/promo approach?

• 30-12-2014 11:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Of all the wrestling Reddits today this one is the most on the money and poses an interesting question.
    It could just be coincidence, but this week's RAW featured some uncharacteristically excellent promos that nearly all benefitted from being reality based.

Ryback on his journey, Bryan on his injury frustrations, Cesaro on his challenges getting over. I mean, all three of these are real stories, and the latter is borderline breaking kayfabe.

Watching these reminded me of the time Vince told the pre-Attitude locker room that he wanted them to put more of themselves into their characters.

Perhaps, I'm wondering, he has again taken on board feedback and is testing a new reality-based approach.

I think if it means getting anywhere remotely close to Attitude Era standards then Im all for it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's an interesting debate but I think bringing the attitude era into it doesn't exact help your argument.

"Getting real" doesn't instantly lead to gold. Countless angles and characters that shaded kayfabe during the attitude era that were pure crap.

The characters weren't a million miles away from today's talent. Okay Rock and Austin have no peers but you can easily compare the likes of Miz/Mizdow to E&C or the likes of say lower card guys like Santino to D-Lo Brown et el.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

ShagNastii wrote: »
    It's an interesting debate but I think bringing the attitude era into it doesn't exact help your argument.

The Attitude Era was very much reality based and it was excellent, the peak of WWE imho. So why not compare? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Its because half the roster was at a house show at the exact same time so they didnt have as many filler matches and used promos to buy time instead.

Thats it. Wreddit has a tendency to think the core structure of the show changes every week because one person got a match or a promo.

If the promo time continues up to the rumble, then Ill accept things have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'd love to see a return to unscripted promos. Both Bray Wyatt & Dean Ambrose don't work off scripts anymore (according to Austin's and Jericho's interviews with them on the Podcasts)

I think some guys will have a much better opportunity to "connect" with the audience if they are allowed to run free on the mic (i'm looking at you Big Tony), while, other guys may get swallowed up. Interesting to see how Roman Reigns may come across if he's unscripted, becuase when he's reading lines, he's wooden

Advertisement