Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invest €100k for 6 months

Options
  • 30-12-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So I think the crazy entrepreneurs of this forums could drum up some suggestions. I tried the people in finance and investments but they were no craic.

The bulk of the story is below, would be good to get some heads around the possibilities...

Hello,

After a house sale, I have €100K deposit for the purchase of my next home.
    However, as the sale went through quickly and I need to apply for another mortgage, I now have to show the banks I can save for 6 months, meaning this deposit will sit in an AIB 7-day online account for 6 - 7 months. The return I will get is quite small.

I think its a good opportunity to use some of this cash to invest, however I will need to have the 100k in my account for when I begin to apply for a mortgage (6 months).

Has anyone had experience of any options I could invest in or any ideas to get some ideas from a different angle? I am not looking to get anything too large back, but if there was say a 5 - 6% return then its better than it just sitting there. This could be in the form of importing for resale, an event, refurbishing something to sell on, etc.... The crux is that 100K needs to be sitting back in my account in 6 months

Ideas welcome....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

So you inherited a share in a house that sold quickly ? Why would an existing borrower need to show savings ability for 6 months? Info does not stack......
    In investment terms, 100k is chickenfeed. A return of 5-6% in today's market is very high so you are looking at righ risk investment. But never invest something you are not prepared to lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

CFDs and bank shares is the way to go. Your 100K should get you the bones of a million in shares in a bank. Six months down the road you could be in clover. Some great deals out there right now on Greek and Russian stocks, it is all about getting the timing right, as Sean Quinn found out.

But never invest something you are not prepared to lose.

Never a truer word spoken. I could take your 100K and give you a variety of different possibilities, but all of them have a chance of losing the 100K!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

Totally agree. Investing can be extremely tricky and you have to be prepared to lose what you put forward. As regards getting a 5-6% return on investment in 6 months, that would carry a serious amount of risk. You could look at putting your into a Mutual Fund with the likes of Fidelity or Davy's but this is normally a 3-5 year investment and these funds also charge a management fee and possibly an entry and exit fee. You can see the fund fact sheets on their sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

Totally agree. Investing can be extremely tricky and you have to be prepared to lose what you put forward. As regards getting a 5-6% return on investment in 6 months, that would carry a serious amount of risk. You could look at putting your money into a Mutual Fund with the likes of Fidelity or Davy's but this is normally a 3-5 year investment and these funds also charge a management fee and possibly an entry and exit fee. You can see the fund fact sheets on their sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Buy €100k worth of prize bonds :) worst case you don't win anything and just get the €100k back

Advertisement