Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Dev in Finance

Options
  • 30-12-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

So Guys,

Bit of a reach out for some guidance here.

I've a little over 3 years experience. Mainly mobile (iOS/Android) and some .NET.

For a while i've been thinking about getting into the financial sector, very broad, I know.

I would have a genuine interest in the Capital Markets/Investment Banking areas and would be interested to hear how you can break into it. I don't have a very good maths background which leads me to believe that this will make things very difficult.

And more importantly, what the work is actually like? I'm interested to hear about others already in the area.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

This might be worth a look after a quick google search: http://www.efinancialcareers.ie/jobs-Information_Technology.s019 If you're on LinkedIn, I'd try and make a few contacts in the industry as well as a few recruiters who may be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

techguy wrote: »
    So Guys,

I've a little over 3 years experience. Mainly mobile (iOS/Android) and some .NET.

For a while i've been thinking about getting into the financial sector, very broad, I know.

I would have a genuine interest in the Capital Markets/Investment Banking areas and would be interested to hear how you can break into it. I don't have a very good maths background which leads me to believe that this will make things very difficult.

And more importantly, what the work is actually like? I'm interested to hear about others already in the area.

Thanks.

Investment banking is generally split into 3 silos front middle and back office. The majority of the IT work exists in back and middle office where the software surrounds trade booking, pricing and risk analysis. The most exciting and interesting work imo is pricing and most of the big banks solely do this in London.

Most banks leverage a trading platform eg ION marketview and the dev work would be writing plugin components publishers/subscribers (market data) via the vendors API.

The languages most in use are Java and C#.

High Freq trading is another interesting area.

You can break into it in various ways eg Assoc Programmer with any of the big banks in Canary Wharf or Belfast.

The work itself.. well your work will be a bit part in a very large machine. Most of your day is meetings and email only 30% of your time coding. Your colleagues are driven by bonus and the level of churn is huge.

There is very little respect in banking for the work of a software engineer. You are simply a cost a number in a headcount. The only real guys wo count are the monkeys on the trading desk.

For Belfast roles contact CPL in Belfast for London there are 100s of recruiters on LinkedIn. Put your cv up on jobsite.co.uk and get yourself another phone for this cos they will hound you for the rest of your days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

techguy wrote: »
    So Guys,

Thanks.

Are you looking to stop working as a Software Developer? Or just to focus on a combined IT & Finance career?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Itzy wrote: »
    This might be worth a look after a quick google search: http://www.efinancialcareers.ie/jobs-Information_Technology.s019 If you're on LinkedIn, I'd try and make a few contacts in the industry as well as a few recruiters who may be helpful.

Thanks, this is a great site that I hadn't come across.
    magooly wrote: »
    Investment banking is generally split into 3 silos front middle and back office. The majority of the IT work exists in back and middle office where the software surrounds trade booking, pricing and risk analysis. The most exciting and interesting work imo is pricing and most of the big banks solely do this in London.

Most banks leverage a trading platform eg ION marketview and the dev work would be writing plugin components publishers/subscribers (market data) via the vendors API.

The languages most in use are Java and C#.

High Freq trading is another interesting area.

You can break into it in various ways eg Assoc Programmer with any of the big banks in Canary Wharf or Belfast.

The work itself.. well your work will be a bit part in a very large machine. Most of your day is meetings and email only 30% of your time coding. Your colleagues are driven by bonus and the level of churn is huge.

There is very little respect in banking for the work of a software engineer. You are simply a cost a number in a headcount. The only real guys wo count are the monkeys on the trading desk.

That's a the best condensed overview I have read yet, thanks. Which are is most interesting and easiest to get into? By that I mean, least emphasis on maths.

I guess it really is a matter of just calling up a bunch of recruiters in London and seeing whats what. Btw folks, it's London I plan on applying to. I am also considering First Derivatives in Newry, who can place you anywhere which is fine by me. Would it be silly for me to apply for their graduate program?

I would like to continue as a software developer within the Finance sector. I would be keen to develop my self in a business/finance context also (eventually) if that makes sense?

• Advertisement

Highly recommend FD .. be prepared for a tough interview and the possibility of moving abroad.

You say your maths are not great.. thats a worry for these guys as they are known for only taking 1.1 degrees.

That said I would say def go for them as they are highly rated ww and their training is top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Ok, I will try that.

My situation with maths is unfortunate really. In LC, I thought I had an A in Ordinary but only a B3 >.<. That was when I wasn't really motivated and didn't bother.

I actually have a 1.1 in Computing Science from GCD. Hmmm. I've nothing to lose I guess and only experience to gain from applying.

Actually, Is there anyway I can redeem myself in the maths area? For example, certifications that I can study for and get tested on? Is this even possible or if i've blown it in LC then is that the lot?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Long shot, but do a Post Grad in Maths.

Itzy wrote: »
    Long shot, but do a Post Grad in Maths.

Nope

A 1 1 gets you past HR. Prepare properly and youllbe fine.

London is amazing for a young person. .. fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pakb1ue

Very good post by magooly.

I've been working as a Developer (did 6 months in Support) for nearly 4 years now for two different investment banks.

I applied to FD with two other guys from my Uni and I was the only one invited to an interview which I think it was because I already knew someone working there and put him down as a reference. I felt I did a good interview but while I had a 2.1 in Computer Science from Maynooth my Leaving Cert wasn't great. I got an emailing saying they were keeping my CV on file but then a few months later they sent me a rejection email. I think because I didn't have a great LC lost me the job.

I've known a good few lads who worked there since and the reviews are not great tbh. When you start they have you sharing a computer with someone else. Yeah you get to travel around the world and all expenses paid but once they find you a client they stop caring about you. One guys was in New York doing a support role and was begging for development but FD wouldn't move him, you don't have much choice on where you go or the job you will be doing tbh. They have a 3 months notice period as well.

I got my first job via a graduate scheme in Citi Belfast (think magooly helped me prepare with it actually), they give you 3 months training before placing you in a team. During this training they give you tests at the end of every week and by week 6 they decided if your are going into development or support. Then the last 6 weeks will be support or development geared.

I learned a hell of a lot during my time here and I don't just mean technical stuff. It was a great place to kick start my career but there was a downside but you can read them here. They have moved a lot of the tech jobs for Belfast from London so you get to do very interesting work (I worked in Front Office) but then again you also get the pressure and long hours. Place had a high turn over.

I now work for Bank of America Merrill Lynch in Back Office but like another posted said most of the interesting work in done in London for this place.

The graduate schemes in London are hard to get into IMO Belfast would be your best bet and they take in 40 odd graduates each year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement