Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pillow??

Options
  • 31-12-2014 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi all just looking for some advice/experience. Our 8.5 month old had a bad cold over Christmas. Runny nose, cough etc along with top two teeth!! The only way he would settle and sleep well was his head raised on pillow as it stopped his nose blocking up. The problem now is he's having trouble settling without it.
    Just wondering is he too young to use a pillow?? He will be going to his own room in the next few days and just want to make sure.
    Had anybody else had this experience? I've tried raising the mattress other ways but it's not the same. Maybe he likes the comfort of it too. :)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I think it's not recommended until they're over 2 or out of the cot. Check SIDS Ireland for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Have you tried putting the pillow under the mattresss so that it raises it up at the same angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

deh983 wrote: »
    Hi all just looking for some advice/experience. Our 8.5 month old had a bad cold over Christmas. Runny nose, cough etc along with top two teeth!! The only way he would settle and sleep well was his head raised on pillow as it stopped his nose blocking up. The problem now is he's having trouble settling without it.
    Just wondering is he too young to use a pillow?? He will be going to his own room in the next few days and just want to make sure.
    Had anybody else had this experience? I've tried raising the mattress other ways but it's not the same. Maybe he likes the comfort of it too. :)

Thanks in advance

We used pillows for the same reason, my first from about 14 months ande second from 5 months! The second had an awful cold and it was the only thing that helped her sleep. She could roll and lift it so I didn't worry about it - although I completely understand that it's not recommended but she wasn't giving it back. Now at 10 months she'll crawl all over the cot but always returns to the pillow for sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Thanks for replies. We have numerous night waking a here and I'm at wits end. I took it off him last night after reading SIDS Ireland and I was up at least 4 times. I'm tempted to give it back but think if be awake worrying then anyway especially when he's in his own room and I can't hear him.
    I put the pillow under the mattress but it was too much of an angle with the thickness of mattress aswell.

Oh the joys of it all :(

Thanks for replies. We have numerous night waking a here and I'm at wits end. I took it off him last night after reading SIDS Ireland and I was up at least 4 times. I'm tempted to give it back but think if be awake worrying then anyway especially when he's in his own room and I can't hear him.
    I put the pillow under the mattress but it was too much of an angle with the thickness of mattress aswell.

Oh the joys of it all :(

It's a legitimate reasonable concern that you'd be worried about using it. Yes there are kids out there who use them and are fine but you never know.
    I was up myself last night with my lo and her stuffy nose so I know how you feel. If there's anything other than holding them upright for a while, baby Vicks etc I'll try it (just not the pillow!). I'm gonna try the saline drops through the day today and see if it helps. Poor kids :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Clevamama do a foam pillow suitable for babies and toddlers, got mine in smyths toystore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Rose35 wrote: »
    Clevamama do a foam pillow suitable for babies and toddlers, got mine in smyths toystore

I have the baby one as I was a bit obsessed with flathead :eek:
    I rang a physio about it and they told me HSE don't recommend them because of SIDS however NHS do recommend them and Scandinavian countries all use them :confused:

Turned out child does not have flat head and wouldn't lie on a pillow anyway as he is a bit of a gymnast in his sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My guy was always very congested since birth and also developed a flat head. We discovered the clevamamma sleep positioner when he was about 2 months but he was already too big so decided to try the baby pillow. the difference was great. He still doesnt always sleep the night but much better with that. I wouldnt use an ordinary pillow as they are too big i think. also the clevamma has air breathable holes.
    Its totally up to i wouldnt do anything against the grain with no 1 so she didnt have one until she moved in to a bed as i was a worried wreck all the time but by no 2 and have relaxed a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

What about a folded towel rather than a pillow under the mattress? It would be a much flatter angle.

I definitely wouldn't risk using a pillow at that age, myself.

Yea I'm too nervous of it now anyway after reading up a bit on it.
    I'm just at my wits end with the numerous night wakings and I'm back to work on the 28th :(
    I might try the clever mamma one if I can't get him to settle without one. His nose is clear now anyway so hopefully he'll be easier to settle.
    Thanks a million for all the replies. Xx

• Advertisement

Hope he gets well soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Have you tried the saline and snot-sucker for his nose? It's a horrible contraption - just awful - but it works.

Yep the nose comes with teeth so we have that cleared up now. Unfortunately the night wakings have been happening a long time :( and I can't figure out why so I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We used the clevamama one from early enough to, although most times the baby would wriggle to be anywhere but the pillow!
    We used to prop the legs of the cot on booksto tilt it a bit.
    Would the pillow fit between the sheet and mattress?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

sillysocks wrote: »
    We used the clevamama one from early enough to, although most times the baby would wriggle to be anywhere but the pillow!
    We used to prop the legs of the cot on booksto tilt it a bit.
    Would the pillow fit between the sheet and mattress?

That's what I did....put it under the sheet!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I used the clevamama one and found it very good. It's memory foam and quite solid - almost the same consistency as the mattress - so it's not like a regular pillow where they could nearly sink into it.

Hi all. Thanks a million for all the replies. Sorry haven't been on for a few days.
    When ye put the pillow under the sheet did ye use that at night aswell?? I've tried that today for naps even though he sleeps fine during the day. So fingers crossed xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

You can get a baby pillow in Ikea for under a tenner, it's very flat so dont think it would be much use for helping relieve conjestion but it helped in getting our little boy to sleep in the one place, he used to be all over the cot.
    We started using it at 13 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We used the clevamama one too - it definitely improved his sleep. I don't know why but I didn't care, anything that helped was just a miracle!

He's a great sleeper now, he's 18 months and last week I switched the clevamama pillow for a cot pillow from Mothercare and switched to a cot duvet. He loves it, makes him so happy going to bed. I wouldn't have done it any earlier than this though.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Millem wrote: »
    That's what I did....put it under the sheet!

That's what I did too, though baby was a little older than yours. Gave me peace of mind that he wouldn't burrow under the pillow and suffocate anyway!

• Advertisement

Tried it under the sheet. No difference.
    Really don't know what to do now. Was up 7 times last night. Can't take it anymore. Back to work in 3 weeks. Myself & partner argue the whole time as we are so tired.

Am at my wits end :(:(:(:(

Advertisement