Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold subscription for a child, can I still download free games?

• 31-12-2014 5:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

My 9yr is getting xbox live gold from and I set up child account on xbox for him, I have authorised it from my email and xbox live sign in so that he can have his own gamertag etc.
    but I tried to download a demo yesterday under his name and it says that games can't be downloaded by child accounts.
    If I give him the gold, will we be able to download the free games from gold through my account or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'm not sure, to be honest, but I would be surprised to find that they stopped you from buying games. Is the game you are trying to download a mature game perhaps?

The parental control settings can include a content restriction, so perhaps that is currently on. The settings are different for Xbox 360 and Xbox One, so check the 360 version here, and the One version here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah it's a parental control thing I'd imagine. I found the parent/child account setup very cumbersome to use and set up, & regretted not just setting my own age on my sons account just to leave me to do the monitoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,612 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just getting my head around how xbox works, I have a 10 year old and he has a gold account but he knows the rules, no downloading games or apps unless we have agreed before hand. Just use it as a way to build up trust. When you are setting up the account it asks for age so I guess that works with the content?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

silverharp wrote: »
    When you are setting up the account it asks for age so I guess that works with the content?

It does, but it limits a lot of other things too. Multiplayer games that use 3rd party servers don't allow some child accounts, even if the game is something like Need for Speed. I'd to phone EA a while back, & they worked some type of solution between the child/parent account so my son could play NFS online. Downloading & buying content too can be problematic, despite the settings in the parental controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭loopymum

Ok. Thanks. I might need to get creative and start again with a new Microsoft account for him or just let him use mine and change the gamer tag

• Advertisement
Advertisement