Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conceiving while breastfeeding

Options
  • 31-12-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am interested in people's experiences here. I am keen to ttc again soon due to age -I am 41. I have a 3 month old and still breastfeeding. I was concerned to read that this can impair ability to conceive as i don't want to delay too long. Neither do I want to stop breastfeeding my little guy. I've read that if you supplement and /or avoid bfing during the night it can help with resuming fertility. While my fella is almost sleeping thro I still do end up feeding him once some nites about 4/5am . if I was to give expressed bottle/ formula then, should this help?

Has anyone conceived v while exclusively bfing or was it when supplementing etc?

How soon did your cycles return? It's odd even thinking ttc when I have no idea what my cycle is anymore so guessing conceiving while bfing is a complete lottery!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

When you start solids around 6 months you should start noticing a big drop in feeds: particularly of you limit them a but yourself. I got pregnant breastfeeding when my oldest was on solids at 11 months; got period back at 10 months. She was still feeding every two hours even then: I kept breastfeeding until I was 16 weeks pregnant :)

You could try a formula feed for the 5am feed (or am expressed bottle) to stretch out the time at night? That's what I read a lot of people do :)

Advertisement