Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bones!

Options
  • 31-12-2014 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea where I could get some pig, sheep or similar sized leg bones? I have been trying for a while with no success. Now it is getting urgent.

They are for a historical project and will be boiled clean and cut up (unless someone is willing to cut them for me, which would be great).

Butchers are doing less and less butchering that produces bones, and I have now been told there will be no slaughtering for the next week.

They need to be leg (marrow) bones that will clean up to have a hole through the middle.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Have you asked the butcher in Johnstown? As far as I know they have their own farm and do their own butchering? Other than that what about going over to the countrystyle factory shop over the bridge? they might be even able to put you in touch with someone?

what about the farming forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks for the suggestion of the butcher in Johnstown, that would be Michael Kearney? I will try there.

The countrystyle shop appears to be a meat processor and would most likely get in meat already boned. The factories are apparently not working this week - if I had realised how difficult it would be to get someone to actually follow through with promises I would have gone directly to a factory. Farmers are very unlikely to be slaughtering.

When I think of how many ham bones will have gone into the rubbish this week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

you could give the premium butcher a shout... he might be able help

http://thepremiumbutcher.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

How many marrow bones do you need? If one or two you can try luck in good quality restaurants - we use marrow bones every few days to cook beef stock:) Restaurant suppliers like Pallas or La Rousse get them from Netherlands. I'm not sure about the price but it should be 1- 1,5 eur/kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

How did you fare out with the bones?
    were you able to get what you were looking for?

• Advertisement

Lol, I had forgotten I had a contact in one of the processing factories.... Sorted, thank you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

They sell packets of bones in some pet shops.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    They sell packets of bones in some pet shops.

These needed to be quite specific bones :)

OK, in the end the pet shop was the best suggestion! I got beef bones which were very helpfully cut to size and cleaned for me, unfortunately it seems that modern cattle are MUCH bigger than medieval cattle! So I got pork bones from a pet shop and they seem to be just right (I sound like your one in the Three Bears story). Good suggestion fiachr_e !

Advertisement