Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for a list of quality documentaries

Options
  • 31-12-2014 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 10 year old who is quite bright and I wanted to start building up a library of cosmos related documentaries. Can anyone point to a list of recommendations or have any yourselves? Khanacademy have a good primer set of videos and am searching around Ted videos.
    Does anyone rate the Discovery channel stuff? "How the universe works" doesnt seem to bad but a lot of their stuff is of dubious quality.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

You could check out http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

Lots of documentaries to look through there. Each one is given a rating out of 10 by users so you can gauge whether a doc might be worth your time looking at or not.

Also, keep an eye on BBC4. They have some really good docs from time to time.

You might find this and this useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 d1sc0d3v1l

Similar to GreedyGoblins link, try searching for "moviesfoundonline", first hit is a great site for documentaries. (Sorry, my account is new so can't link)

If your looking for a recommendation for an actual "cosmos" documentary, I reckon one of the best series I've seen is: "When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions". (So long as you can tolerate a little American style commentary/editing)

It can be acquired in HD in various ways ;), and although I'm not normally one to care about HD all that much, this one really deserves it.

As an aside, one war series that rarely gets a mention but I found to be brilliant is: "Vietnam: A Television History"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

If you want to question the universe in a multiplication of many scientists/astronomers and astrophysicists regarding theories for and against, then this documentary should be interesting for you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Brian Cox ones are very good, Wonders of the Solar System & Wonders of the Universe. There's also a very good one I seen on Nat Geo several years back called Journey to the Edge of the Universe (but make sure to get the one with the English guy narrating).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage is an oldie but a goodie. As it was made in 1980, there will doubtless be plenty of outdated info in there, but Carl Sagan is such an inspirational person that it's probably worth watching anyway.

Then, there is its recent follow up series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Definitely one for the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage is an oldie but a goodie. As it was made in 1980, there will doubtless be plenty of outdated info in there, but Carl Sagan is such an inspirational person that it's probably worth watching anyway.

Then, there is its recent follow up series Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, with Neil deGrasse Tyson. Definitely one for the list.

I'd particularly recommend the latter for a ten year old. It has animated sections for the likes of Newton, they are very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks guys, I have downloaded some of the individual suggestions now and the online collection sites look great

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement