Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled Eircom account-still being charged

Options
  • 31-12-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi

I gave notice back in August that I would be switching broadband suppliers in September. I received a letter from Eircom saying that my account was cancelled etc.

Stupidly, I never thought to cancel the DD coming from my account. I just noticed now that I've been charged every month since September, despite the fact that I'm not using the service and had cancelled with you.

How do I go about getting this money refunded? I have instructed my bank to cancel that DD from today.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You see your rights under the SEPA dd scheme here - bit down the page and also here

Debtors can :

• Request a refund for any SEPA Direct Debit within eight weeks from the date on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from your account. Within the eight week period your bank must refund you on a no-questions asked basis.
    • Request a refund for any unauthorised SEPA Direct Debit after 8 weeks and within 13 months from the date the on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from your account

If Eircom deducted money from your account without complying with the rules of the dd scheme this is a very serious matter and you should make a formal complaint to you bank - there is a word for taking money without a person's permission.  A company is obliged under the rules of the dd scheme to notify a customer 14 days in advance of any proposed debit. No company would tolerate an individual accessing its account so why should any ordinary person put up with such behaviour.
    Advance notice of the date and the amount of each direct debit, this must be provided by the Creditor. The advance notice period is generally fourteen days, or in some cases seven days or less if agreed by all parties, before the direct debit is applied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

yaya* wrote: »
    Hi

I gave notice back in August that I would be switching broadband suppliers in September. I received a letter from Eircom saying that my account was cancelled etc.

Stupidly, I never thought to cancel the DD coming from my account. I just noticed now that I've been charged every month since September, despite the fact that I'm not using the service and had cancelled with you.

How do I go about getting this money refunded? I have instructed my bank to cancel that DD from today.

Thanks
    Hi yaya*

Please PM me your eircom account number & I will look in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

Hi yaya*

Thanks
    Al

Hi Al,

I PM'd you there a few days ago. Any update on this yet?

Thanks

Yaya

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Hi Al,

Thanks

Yaya

Don't bother. Contact your bank immediately tomorrow. They're breaking the law. Give your bank details of the cancellation (e.g letter or email) if you have it.

As pointed out above, they wouldn't tolerate someone "accidentally" debiting their account, there's no reason why you should, especially after such a delay.

Don't bother. Contact your bank immediately tomorrow. They're breaking the law. Give your bank details of the cancellation (e.g letter or email) if you have it.

As pointed out above, they wouldn't tolerate someone "accidentally" debiting their account, there's no reason why you should, especially after such a delay.

I've already cancelled the DD with my bank but I want the money that was taken to be refunded. I presume I have to go through eircom for that? Not sure how my bank would recoup that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I've already cancelled the DD with my bank but I want the money that was taken to be refunded. I presume I have to go through eircom for that? Not sure how my bank would recoup that?

Whatever was taken in the last 8 weeks can be recalled by telling your bank to recall it, no reason necessary.

As for the rest, I'd be reporting eircom to comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Whatever was taken in the last 8 weeks can be recalled by telling your bank to recall it, no reason necessary.

As for the rest, I'd be reporting eircom to comreg.
    Exactly.

Your bank treats this as a dispute. You have a cancellation letter from Eircom, so your bank refunds you directly. They then chase Eircom for the completely accidentally taken money.

Hi yaya*

Thanks
    Al

Hi Al,

Thanks

Yaya
    Hello yaya*

Thanks for PM'ing your account details,

I have looked in to this and I can confirm that there is no history of a cancellation letter (or any other form of concordance) being sent from eircom.

Could you please PM a mobile contact number for you and I'll call to discus this case further?

Thanks
    Al

Hello yaya*

I have looked in to this and I can confirm that there is no history of a cancellation letter (or any other form of concordance) being sent from eircom.

Could you please PM a mobile contact number for you and I'll call to discus this case further?

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan

I'm holding the page in my hand as I type. I'll PM you my number now but I will also be ringing my bank. Thanks to the others for their input and advice on this thread.

Hello yaya*

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan

I'm holding the page in my hand as I type. I'll PM you my number now but I will also be ringing my bank. Thanks to the others for their input and advice on this thread.
    Hi yaya*

I've just tried calling but if PM me a time that suits you I'll call again then.

Thanks
    AL

• Advertisement
Advertisement