Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing a Garage Project

Options
  • 31-12-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Toying with the idea of building a small garage out the back in the new year and just wondering if anyone could give me a ball park figure of the cost of materials involved.

It would be a timber frame with internal dimensions of 16' x 11' with 16" on center stud walls maybe 8' high (rough dimensions, doesn't have to be exact). Vaulted ceiling with 4/12 pitch. (If my maths are correct I would need about 160' of timber for the roof.) Roof shingles on top and some sort of cheap cladding outside that looks nice.

On the inside walls, I want to be able to hang cabinets and shelves that support a lot of weight pretty much anywhere so was thinking of cladding in 1' plywood or OSB. Would that be strong enough?

For the floor, I was thinking of poured concrete. The garage will be used for woodwork and metalwork hobbies and occasionally working on cars. I'm guessing if the slab is 1 foot over in all dimensions that would suffice? That would be about 18' x 13' at 4" deep. Any ideas on a cost of the concrete alone if I were to do it myself and how much it would cost the professionals to come in and do it for me?

I definitely want to build the garage myself, it's the concrete floor I'm not sure of. I have no particular interest in it and from reading online it can be difficult to get right so depending on the cost, I may leave it to the pros.

Finally I'm a novice at all this so please excuse my ignorance if I'm not making any sense or using the wrong terms somewhere and certainly point out anything I'm missing! Also I'm based in Carlow if location can effect material prices.

Thanks for reading!

Brian

:EDIT: Also, would I need planning permission?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0600.html#sched2
    Refer to Schedule 2, part 1, class 3
    The floor area would be ok but the finishes should really match the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Thanks. Looks like I'm ok with the finish as the garage will be behind the house. Would that be correct?
    4. The external finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Depending on the car, a depth of 16 foot might be a bit tight. You certainly wouldn't have any room for shelving or storage along the back wall.

Assuming you want to be able to close the door while working on the car of course.

Good point. I've no problem extending the length a couple of feet as long as it doesn't take the building over the 25m2 limit for planning permission.

And if it will cause a load of hassle, well like you say, I'll just have to leave the door open! :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

4. Theexternal finishes of any garage or other structure constructed, erected or placed to the side of a house, and the roof covering where any such structure has a tiled or slated roof, shall conform with those of the house.
    If you wish to be exempt take note.

• Advertisement

Thanks I'll have to get clarity on that. Regarding the price though, anyone care to hazard a guess at the cost? A grand? €3k? €5k?! Although that would be a pipe dream! I'd say a realistic budget would be €2k max but obviously the lower the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

BryanF wrote: »
    If you wish to be exempt take note.

But the shed is to the back of his house not the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I would say you are looking at 4k, and that would probably not include an up and over door. I would park the car in the area where you plan on putting the garage, lay out your 16 feet and then work out from there. I just did a garage/shed and 20 feet is just enough to have the car in and if I want to have it in and be able to do some work on the bench as well. Just food for thought, I would rather lose a foot on either side than the length, to stay within the allowed area....

Thanks Pat. I've taken on board the suggestions and realised that 16' wouldn't cut if for a car so have been doing some calculations and if I extend the length of the garage to 22' x 11' I'm still only at 22.5m2 so within allowances.

Advertisement