Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to college

Options
  • 31-12-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

How hard have people found going back to college to do a masters or whatever after working for a period of time? I've planned to go do an MSc in September and I'm only finished college since last May. The thoughts of it are killing me already. It's worth all the hardship surely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

It doesn't really sound like you enjoyed your time. I mean, I loved my degree and was filled with nothing but excitement about starting a Masters. It was a lot of work, sure, but there was nothing hard about it, not in the sense I think you mean. I wasn't dreading it, wasn't looking at it as a hardship. It was brilliant, every second of it, but mostly I think because I loved my subject.

Are you sure going back is something you really want to do? Because if it's not... chances are you won't dedicate yourself to it enough to do your best. And so you might regret it in the long run if you don't get the result you may well be capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

mickstupp wrote: »
    It doesn't really sound like you enjoyed your time. I mean, I loved my degree and was filled with nothing but excitement about starting a Masters. It was a lot of work, sure, but there was nothing hard about it, not in the sense I think you mean. I wasn't dreading it, wasn't looking at it as a hardship. It was brilliant, every second of it, but mostly I think because I loved my subject.

Are you sure going back is something you really want to do? Because if it's not... chances are you won't dedicate yourself to it enough to do your best. And so you might regret it in the long run if you don't get the result you may well be capable of.

I loved my degree. It was great. I'm just trying to move into a different area of the business that I really have a lot of interest in. The MSc I want to do is 14k though and I have to self fund it. That's the part I'm dreading really. I need this MSc to bridge that knowledge gap. I think I'm just stressing myself out because it's costing so much and id hate to get bad results. Don't get me wrong I will work super hard at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Ah ok, didn't realise it was one of the expensive ones. Have you looked into maybe getting some funding? If you check out the department website of the university you're applying for, they may have information on that. Or the graduate studies website of the university. Failing either of those, I'd recommend mailing the department postgraduate co-ordinator, or whatever they're calling themselves. He or she could fill you in on funding opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

mickstupp wrote: »
    Ah ok, didn't realise it was one of the expensive ones. Have you looked into maybe getting some funding? If you check out the department website of the university you're applying for, they may have information on that. Or the graduate studies website of the university. Failing either of those, I'd recommend mailing the department postgraduate co-ordinator, or whatever they're calling themselves. He or she could fill you in on funding opportunities.

Unfortunately my MSc is a taught one. I've already spoken to the postgraduate coordinator and there is nothing they can do except point me towards some websites. I'll probably have to get a loan of about 8k. I was going to meet with HR in work but I really don't think they'll help me as its full time with no hope of me working during it and also I'm doing an MSc in an area that I'm not fully working in. It's partly related. It would be a serious weight off my shoulders if it was funded via work and I paid them back if they had a position for me in my new area or even my current area until something else came up. Tough situation. I also have the option of just deferring for a year and save the money fully but I'm just in the mindset now if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I did a full time MSc after working for three years after college. I really enjoyed it tbh, found it very worthwhile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement