Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EMT choices ahead

• 31-12-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all,

I welcome any answers to this from anyone who's done an EMT course - or is otherwise familiar with pre-hospital duties:

I'm thinking of taking an EMT course in Dublin - and doing this without having worked for vols/done CFR/OFA/EFR previously.

I've noted that many people on these forums suggest getting experience over quite a long time (about 3-5 years) in a vol org and then doing the EMT training. I can see the sense in this and I don't doubt that a newly qualified EMT with substantial 'lower course' experience will be far better prepared (all other things being equal) than a freshly-qualified EMT without the earlier experience.

However, there are also many people who say that doing your EMT training earlier (if you're willing to pay for this, which I am) can then go and develop their experience - but in an EMT role in which they will likely be allowed to take on certain duties specific to EMTs. I know many people who've said that doing things this way is also very acceptable - and involves gaining experience after their EMT course at a faster rate than the 'from scratch' vol org people.

It seems to me that doing my EMT first (and saving a vol org the cost of training me) and THEN getting more and more experience in said vol org would be a good way to go, no? At least that's what I'm planning on doing at this point.

Like I say, I respect those who take the 'long route' but I genuinely think I'd be very committed to gaining a lot of post-course experience as soon as I'd take the private route. And that way, I can get into the more complex duties (under proper supervision, of course) without having to wait 3-5 years (and costing already-strapped vol orgs further money) - and I like the prospect of doing this.

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

if you want to do the emt course then do it but i would say this if you join a volunteer org before you do you will pick up alot of what will be on the course before you start making it easier to do.
    also i know the order of malta want there emts to do the orders basic first aid course before allowing them to practice as a emt so if you join after becoming a emt you would need to spend months before being let loose to use the skills you learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

if you want to do the emt course then do it but i would say this if you join a volunteer org before you do you will pick up alot of what will be on the course before you start making it easier to do.
    also i know the order of malta want there emts to do the orders basic first aid course before allowing them to practice as a emt so if you join after becoming a emt you would need to spend months before being let loose to use the skills you learned.

Thanks for the input. I'll try not to allow my wish to get started sooner rather than later result in a hasty choice. Another option I've been considering is to do an EFR course with the IRC and then begin duties from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Hi all,

I welcome any answers to this from anyone who's done an EMT course - or is otherwise familiar with pre-hospital duties:

I'm thinking of taking an EMT course in Dublin - and doing this without having worked for vols/done CFR/OFA/EFR previously.

I've noted that many people on these forums suggest getting experience over quite a long time (about 3-5 years) in a vol org and then doing the EMT training. I can see the sense in this and I don't doubt that a newly qualified EMT with substantial 'lower course' experience will be far better prepared (all other things being equal) than a freshly-qualified EMT without the earlier experience.

However, there are also many people who say that doing your EMT training earlier (if you're willing to pay for this, which I am) can then go and develop their experience - but in an EMT role in which they will likely be allowed to take on certain duties specific to EMTs. I know many people who've said that doing things this way is also very acceptable - and involves gaining experience after their EMT course at a faster rate than the 'from scratch' vol org people.

It seems to me that doing my EMT first (and saving a vol org the cost of training me) and THEN getting more and more experience in said vol org would be a good way to go, no? At least that's what I'm planning on doing at this point.

Like I say, I respect those who take the 'long route' but I genuinely think I'd be very committed to gaining a lot of post-course experience as soon as I'd take the private route. And that way, I can get into the more complex duties (under proper supervision, of course) without having to wait 3-5 years (and costing already-strapped vol orgs further money) - and I like the prospect of doing this.

Any thoughts/opinions/experiences on this?

I went the long road iv been in the IRC years and iv been all levels at one time or another from basic first aid all the way up to now EMT I think all the experience I gained all the way along really stand to me now treating patients because most duties I would do I'd use more of my basic skills than EMT really
    I believe I could have passes the EMT without any prior experience paying for it it's very doable but getting it for free kind of helped :)
    Only problem I have seen for myself is some EMTs who have no experience before qualifying is that you take away all the fancy machines an equipment they are stumped iv even seen one "EMT" who was struggling bandaging a leg.....
    But on the other hand iv seen great EMTs with no experience
    So like has been said if it's what you want to do go for it!! But join a vol aswel in the meantime and get experience while you are doing the course even you may also find it helpful for training for exams to talk to people who have done it

Thanks, sjb25.

I think what I'll do is complete the EFR course but then start to get experience in a vol and wait a while to do the EMT. As it happens, I did a CFR course today - really enjoyed it - and the EFR course will add nicely to this.

But I appreciate the point of view (of people such as yourself) that the vol experience will stand to me. I'm in the process of joining the RDF (Reserve Defence Forces) at the moment and I may well get plenty of experience of EMS skills of various levels if I join the Medical Corps. If not, I think I'll join the Red Cross or another vol - I don't think I'd hold on to these skills long if I don't practice them regularly.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

Just go ahead and do it. You obviously have the interest to go for it. Cfr, efr are good to do but if you've the money just do the best course.

It's a must do if you want to be a paramedic or firefighter as everyone is doing it lately.

• Advertisement

Tintin8 wrote: »
    Just go ahead and do it. You obviously have the interest to go for it. Cfr, efr are good to do but if you've the money just do the best course.

It's a must do if you want to be a paramedic or firefighter as everyone is doing it lately.

Thanks, Tintin. I'm not actually planning on changing career for the foreseeable future but I would like to join one of the voluntaries - and if I can do a qualification which would allow me to progress to more responsibility and more advanced duties to help out, that'd be great.

Advertisement