Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising a hedge

• 31-12-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I planted a berberis hedge with some holly in it two years ago. The holly is about 4 ft now and berberis 2 ft.
    I concreted around the house this year which means my hedge is now 6-8 inches under it. Would it do any harm now lifting them and raising soil level to match concrete and replant it. Would it work if I raised the soil level without raising hedge.

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If they were only planted 2 years ago you would probably get away with it. Lift the bushes with as much soil as possible on them and just ease them out a couple at a time, put in the new soil and fill round them. Don't recommend raising the soil more than literally a couple of inches without raising the hedge. On the other hand, as the bushes get bigger you probably will not notice the height difference, depending on the circumstances you might be better to just leave them. A pic would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

As the attached photo hopefully shows hedge is well below the concrete.
    I was intending banking up behind them and then putting spent mushroom compost with a good topping of topsoil.
    Would this be the best option if I can get it done now in dormant months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, I would tend to agree with you on that. Don't just put compost or soil round them without lifting them as you could rot the stems. They do not look too big to lift I think.

Advertisement