Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local store selling alcohol to minors tonight

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

My local busy and popular convenience store is selling alcohol to minors. In the queue a kid (the only way he could be described) bought two 8 packs of Bavaria no questions asked and straight after him, this time a girl, bought a naggin of Vodka. No ID, no nuthin. I reckon she was no more than 16 and the other kid looked about 14.

This is just across the road from a garda station too.

I said to one of the two behind the till that they were minors and they shrugged it off.

This was so blatant it's obvious policy for the night.

I will be reporting it to the garda station tomorrow morning and I think others should do the same when they see this. Don't get me wrong i'm not a spoil sport and if it was one off I wouldn't but this was ridiculous. Allowing it in front of a queue of adults too probably shows they think most would not complain.

Would you say anything, do anything or just leave it be?
    i'd leave it be. you reporting it is a waste of the gards time. more important things for such a small force with not enough resources to be doing then sorting someone selling some drink to a kid

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bluewolf wrote: »
    you can drink underage in a private premises with parental consent

No you can't. It is an offence to provide alcoholic beverages for consumption by any minor whether in public or private and it is also an offence to allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors in any premises owned by you.

No I don't think so. We have a serious problem with under age drinking in this country and your attitude is partly to blame for that because you think it is ok for an Off License to be feckless with the laws.

well, that is debatible. any problems with drink are over hyped, or way way over hyped, so we don't know what the true situation is . his attitude is not in any way shape or form to blame for it. he just realises this will happen no matter what. if he thinks it is ok for an Off License to be feckless with the laws so what? these laws don't and never will work. no need to abolish them, but a small, barely resourced police force have better things to do.
    But then by and large the people who say "let them be" won't have to deal the consequences. That will be the emergency services and the gardaí.

how do you know some of those who say "let them be" don't infact work for the emergency services? and have based their opinion on the realities of what they see? that this will happen no matter what.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

kneemos wrote: »
    At least they're not doing drugs.
    you mean illegal drugs. alcohol is a drug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

OP: Garda, I'd like to report that shopkeeper for selling alcohol to minors last night.

Garda: How do you know they were minors?

OP: Eh they looked young.

Garda: Ok thank you I'll just type that up on my invisible typewriter. *tap tap tap tap tap*

foggy_lad wrote: »
    No you can't. It is an offence to provide alcoholic beverages for consumption by any minor whether in public or private and it is also an offence to allow the consumption of alcoholic beverages by minors in any premises owned by you .

newp
    can drink in a house/private residence with permission

It is an offence to buy alcohol for people under the age of 18. It is also an offence to give alcohol to anyone under the age of 18 unless in a domestic home and they have parental consent. If found guilty of any of these offences, you could be liable on summary conviction in a District Court to a class B fine for a first offence and a class A fine for a second or any subsequent offence.

Young people under the age of 18 are not allowed in licensed premises during extended hours (except in certain circumstances). It is the responsibility of the licence holder to make sure this does not happen.

If you are under 18, you cannot legally buy alcohol. Also you cannot drink it unless you are in a private residence and have permission from your parents. It is also an offence to pretend that you are over 18 in order to buy or drink alcohol. If you are found guilty of these offences, you are liable to a class E fine on summary conviction in a District Court.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html

Course that still doesn't mean they were legally allowed buy it or be sold to, I just thought I'd throw that in there before we get all the OMG UNDERAGE DRINKING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Teenagers will get it either way from someone. The fact that the shopkeeper is selling it directly to them means the kids aren't disturbing an adult who could possibly be having sex with his woman which could eventually lead to some man/woman being born and possibly going on to become a scientist and find cures to deadly diseases.

So the shopkeeper could be saving the world by selling beer to the teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

OP: Garda, I'd like to report that shopkeeper for selling alcohol to minors last night.

Garda: How do you know they were minors?

OP: Eh they looked young.

Garda: Ok thank you I'll just type that up on my invisible typewriter. *tap tap tap tap tap*

"We can't be like "policing" the whole neighbourhood." Chief Wiggum

So what's the punishment for shops which are caught doing this? What would happen to the workers?

Seeing the grief shopkeepers suffer even on good days, I'd probably avoid the aggro and not ask rough looking teens for their proof of age as well.

Advertisement