Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How was 2014 for you?

• 31-12-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭

Total for me was 10,947km... Just didn't get the opportunity over Christmas to get out enough to get past the 11,000km mark.
    So it's 12,000km for 2015 starting tomorrow!

Happy new year everyone and stay safe out there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Got to 8,500km - 500km more than target. Would have done bit more but for a dose of manflu over the past few weeks.

Highlights include my longest ever spin at 310km and a tough SKT.

Next year hope to do a few days in Spain. So plenty of hills between now and then.

Enjoy your cycling in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayquinn1

My first full year cycling. Came in at 6044 km having started the year with a target of 5000. Highlight of the year has to be the An Post Rebel Tour - definitely one to repeat next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Set myself a target of 3,000km for 2014, a number I just pulled out of the air as such, and finished with 3514km. So hopefully somewhere in excess of 4000km for 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

11,340km for me. Didn't set a target, but it's a nice jump from 6,720km last year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

2,999km on the road, supplemented by over half as much again (time-wise) on the Wattbike. Hoping 2015 will be a bit of an improvement on 2014.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

A good year 10,000+ km. Highlights included riding at least one 200km ride per month. Riding the full Liege-Bastogne-Liege sportive 284km (and getting back first from my club). Longest ride was 454km in 24 hours as part of a 600km audax. I completed all my long distance goals. I also raced club league, the odd open race and women's crit league. I was privileged to take part in Ras na mBan and I wasn't last!

2015 will be more of the same, I'll be riding a 200km ride tomorrow ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

A good year overall, but certainly room for improvement. Chuffed that I was able to cover several thousand km in the first half of the year alone [when the weather was decent!]. Furthest in a single day was a 102km spin back in July. Pleasure also meeting a few faces through jersey sightings, including Alek and Hmmzis.

But my recreational cycling stagnated to a large degree over the latter months of 2014 due to an extremely busy schedule coupled with technical issues with my bike and also over not having enough adequate winter gear. Don't want to let that happen again.

Haven't set any particular targets yet for 2015 but my main cycling priorities are as follows:
    • Fully set-up and integrate my Strava account.
    • Purchase a Racer.
    • Purchase a Garmin so as to be able to plan and record my spins better.
    • Keep more updated on and where I can, become more involved in local sportives and boards spins.
    • Become more self-sufficient in bike servicing & repairs.
    Happy New Year & safe cycling!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

4k on strava plus 2k or so commuting...up from 5000km in 2013..hoping for 10k next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Absolutely rubbish. I probably spent more time watching cycling on TV then been on my bike. Reckon I did lot less then 400km over the year, Biggest ride was a 75km spin around wicklow on Halloween day. A wasted year to be honest roll on 2015.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just over 10,100km that took in most of Wiclow, rides in the UK, Belgium, Holland and San Francisco. In the process raised about €2000 for charity. I had a good year on the bike which I'm greatful for the opportunity to get out and cycle.

2015 might not be as great but I can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just one spill in 2014 (with no real injuries) - which makes it a good year for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

could have done without blacking out (small intestine bleed) and spending 8 days in hospital and 5 weeks off work and longer off the bike.
    all about 2015 now (consultants permitting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

Bought my first new road bike in April. (Had an old racer in primary school in the 80's)
    Did about 2000km from May and completed 6 sportives. New baby and weekend work severely curtailed me but have a target of 5000km for 2015 and the Wicklow 200. Proudest moment of 2014 was doing 3 repeats of Cruagh/ Viewing point in the rain a few weeks ago. I had to stop twice on same hill in March.
    As a bonus met Sean Kelly and Marcel Kittel

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

My best year in a long while as in last few years i lost my wife and mum to cancer. so at 50 decided to do a bit of cycling, weighed 17 stone 7lbs in february and very unfit, started with short spins and worked up to a 70k charity cycle in april, 90k cycle in june, treated myself to new carbon bike in june also , did ring of kerry in july, also have done skt 160k and an post rebel tour 160 which i found more difficult than the skt despite the glorious weather on the day. As the year has progressed i have become somewhat addicted to cycling to the point that i am thinking of doing a bit of racing this coming year. my weight has reduced from a high of 17 st 7 lbs to a low of 12st 10lbs currently 13st 2lbs. i have 10105 kms clocked up and 88759 meters climbed,now i have the energy and the will to live that i had nearly lost and to that end i thank cycling and the cycling community for, i owe ye all a great debt of gratitude. thank Ciaran.

ciaeim wrote: »
    My best year in a long while as in last few years i lost my wife and mum to cancer. so at 50 decided to do a bit of cycling, weighed 17 stone 7lbs in february and very unfit, started with short spins and worked up to a 70k charity cycle in april, 90k cycle in june, treated myself to new carbon bike in june also , did ring of kerry in july, also have done skt 160k and an post rebel tour 160 which i found more difficult than the skt despite the glorious weather on the day. As the year has progressed i have become somewhat addicted to cycling to the point that i am thinking of doing a bit of racing this coming year. my weight has reduced from a high of 17 st 7 lbs to a low of 12st 10lbs currently 13st 2lbs. i have 10105 kms clocked up and 88759 meters climbed,now i have the energy and the will to live that i had nearly lost and to that end i thank cycling and the cycling community for, i owe ye all a great debt of gratitude. thank Ciaran.
    Jesus, that's impressive Ciaran. Well done.

could have done without blacking out...
    On the bike? :eek:

Beasty wrote: »
    2,999km on the road..
    P - Could you not have found another 1km somewhere? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

A year full of the best of intentions. Finger positively removed after seeing the mileage some of ye have racked up.

Onwards and upwards for 2015. Best wishes to all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

On the bike? :eek:

nah luckily just knocked me out on sat aft. hospital put 5 units into me to get my heamaglobin from 6 to 10 to get the rest of the way up was down to iron tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

+1 I was thinking the same thing! :)

• Advertisement

youve still got 90 minutes go for it :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

07Lapierre wrote: »
    +1 I was thinking the same thing! :)
    Did that Strava summary thing and saw it gave me 2,999km. Didn't want the extra km, as it will hopefully allow 2015 to look even more impressive in comparison ("2014 I did over 2k, whereas in 2015 I made a massive improvement and hit 3k":pac:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Or round it up!

neris wrote: »
    youve still got 90 minutes go for it :D
    Was thinking about heading out to the Wattbike around 12.30 to get the new year off to a good start.....

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

ciaeim wrote: »

Some achievement - well done.

Did 2000 Kms before the cat eye gave up, probably 600 or so after, before I gave up. Which will be doubled, at least, in 2015.

Beasty wrote: »
    Was thinking about heading out to the Wattbike around 12.30 to get the new year off to a good start.....

12:30 sounds good where as 00:30 just sounds like you need to get out more :p

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

P - Could you not have found another 1km somewhere? 

You still have 1 hr 1 hr 20 mins left, left go it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

317hours sitting on a saddle in fresh air and rain
    Summer bike bought. N+1 rule
    Good mates located in new club

Roll on 2015

rushfan wrote: »
    You still have 1 hr 1 hr 20 mins left, left go it.

Only 30 mins now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

I managed about 2500km this year, mostly done in the first half of the year, have done SFA since ROK which has really bugged me TBH!! I'm not setting a goal for 2015, I'm just gonna get out on the bike a lot more🚴🚴🚴

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

After a dreadful 2013 (less than 1000km on the bike as my dad died, my mam got very sick and I got knocked off the bike) I set a target of 3000km for 2014. On December 15th I hit 3010km and have taken a break since-so I'm itching to go again on my now spotless (new) winter bike.

Delighted with that figure as I also tried out home spinning this year (waste of time) and, due to injury, had to retire from running in September (though I harbour hopes of doing a Take That and starting again in 2015).

This year? Not sure yet but one thing I am sure of is that I will set a target/resolution, because that was the one thing that got me in the saddle last year on days I'd have preferred to have stayed inside in the warm and dry.

Best wishes to all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

I was going to post a bunch of stats but in the end they boil down to this -

I was out on my bike a lot. Some of it was hard. Some of it was fast. Most of it was much slower than I would have liked.

But all of it was wonderful.

And I get to do it all again next year. Which is a privilege and a gift.

So right now I'm raising a glass to a friend and a great cyclist who we lost recently and to all of you lot.

Many happy spins in 2015. See you on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Did less than 2013, due to a slightly in attentive car driver and three months off the bike.

But otherwise it's been a good year, gone from a lone commuter, to joining a club and meeting a great bunch of cyclists. Looking forward to more miles and maybe more bikes.

Happy 2015 to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭ChainWhip

A year of firsts!

First carbon bike
    First viewing of a pro stage in real life
    First time up Kippure without stopping
    First time discovering porridge
    First time I saw a heard of deer on the way up Viewing Point and remembered why I love getting out so much ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Managed just under 3000 km, but had no targets set. First half of the year was grand as I had my off-shift days to get out on the bike. Now, frustratingly, have moved to Switzerland with all the great routes on tap but have to spend my off shift days child minding my two kids as creche fees here are astronomical. Once they reach school going age, things will improve. Also, a 2 month work course didn't help as I didn't cycle at all then.
    Best ride was 100km round lake Zurich and longest was 115 in Monaghan
    Happy new year all. Here's to a great 2015

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Just under 2500Km having started in June and then taking 2-3 months off due to tiredness later in the year with a newborn in the house. New bike arrived a month ago and have new thermals on the way. Goal for 2015 is 7500km and hopefully a couple of sportives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Happy New year everyone. Wishing you all many happy and safe KMs for 2015.

I managed to rack up 7,640 KMs in my first full year of cycling. A lot of it doing Super'mutes. Even managed to get 3 or 4 Strava Gran Fondos done too, with the longest ride being 160km.

Low light has to be crashing into a warehouse. Yes, a HUGE warehouse. :o
    They have absolutely zero respect for cyclists tbh.
    Broke 3 ribs but still ('cos I'm stupid) managed to cycle for a week to get the Strava Spring classics done.

Another low light is calculating last night how much money I wasted on cigarettes this year :( I'm too embarrassed to even say.

Highlight though has to be doing some wheeling and dealing over the last few months which made all my bike related purchases over the last year cost neutral and with a fair bit to spare, as well as actually managing to get out there and cycle, even when the weather was atrocious.
    Doing the 90K Leinster Loop in just over 3 hours with an average of 29kph was cool too! [EDIT- oh and getting my Dad into cycling to. He did about 900KMs!)

Plan for 2015 is not to waste as much time during the summer as I did in 2014. I'd like to do a minimum of 8,000 KMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I had great ambitions at the start of the year but I got doored by a car in February. I was knocked out cold but when I was told later that I took the door the off the hinges and the guy needed to be towed away I had a snigger!

After a month out I got back in the saddle and managed to rack up 10,000km excluding my commutes.

Been cycling many a year and with the setbacks on the bike/personally I appreciate every pedal stroke, hopefully there will be plenty in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I planned on doing a lot more than I actually did . Total for the year was 4808km , quite disappointed with myself , I've really only gotten back into cycling in the last 18 months after being off the bike for over 7 years , I packed in racing back then and stopped cycling altogether , over the last year I've been contemplating getting back into racing but with work and family commitments I've been set back in my training and don't want to join a club to race unless I can give it 110% , in 2014 I've done a few sportivs and charity cycles aswell as cycle marshaling a couple , so for 2015 I plan on training hard and getting as many kms into my legs at any free opportunity .
    I hope to see a few boardsies on the road , happy new year to you all and may it be a safe and enjoyable 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

Mileage wise 2014 was ok but could have done a lot better, looking forward to achieving better results in 2015 a new bike and maybe try some racing

Highlights were completing the Orwell randonee a really great event and also completing a charity cycle of 450km coast to Coast and back over two days

In terms of the sport the highlights had to be watching the Giro pass through my home town of Malahide and also travelling to the Pyrenees to follow the tour for a week, couldn't quite complete a trio to attend the Vuelta but there is always next year :):)

Happy new year to all and best wishes for 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

7.5K for the year, up from 4K in 2013.

Keeping up with the A2's to finish my 4th Wicklow 200 rolling in @ 7h24m which I was chuffed with.

Raised another €3K in the process bringing my charity bike rides for Temple St to €15K over the last few years.

Some great interval sessions commutes with the Skerries arm of SwordsCC and some great craic & suffering in the club league with a great bunch of lads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not sure of the distance covered last year, as my cateye died twice, but somewhere in excess of 7k at a guess. Work and family commitments had me missing the few planned sportives and audaxes, but having an ageing father living alone 175k away had me doing plenty of long solo commutes. No faster last year than previously, but I've found at a steady pace, I don't really need to stop that much any more.

Highlights were a few pre-dawn runs up the sally gap to catch the day breaking on the mountains, and managing a dawn to dusk solo spin on the winter solstice. Also really enjoyed a few forays down the canals.

Plans for this year involve losing about a stone to make the Kilmashogue / wall / mt leinster climbs less of an eye popper, and to try and get an average of 200k per week between the road and turbo for a 10k yearly total. If this goes roughly to plan, I'll try and get in a few of the shorter audaxes and just maybe try a 300k if I can get my shít together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

2014 was my first year fully focused on cycling and my first year racing. Got through my first two A4 races unscathed (but a mile behind everyone else!). My first women's race in March was a different story and I made my debut on the Stickybottle website - for all the wrong reasons! http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/stickybottles-2014-in-12-great-photos-and-the-stories-behind-them/

After recovering from that smash I managed a good run of training and racing and hit nearly 7,000km by the start of July when I broke my left collarbone on a training spin. 5 weeks later I fell over my dog and broke my right radius!! Missed a long time training and gained a heap of weight. Back on the bike in October and was just getting into regular training when I was called for surgery for the collarbone in December so I'm sidelined again since :mad: 9220kms for the year.

Thank god 2014 is behind me. All I want for 2015 is to not fall off my bike or break any bones :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

no where near as good as a i had hoped, between a crash, resulting time off the bike from injuries and two separate bouts of vertigo that lasted weeks i lost about 40% of the year. Had 1200km in one month between commuting, training club spins and sportifs so that the defo highlight.

2015 will be my first year doing the club league so changing my plans from this year and cycling in a completly different way. last year it was about the hours/kms this year its all about productivity and hoping to finish more races than not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

2013 was an epic year on the bike for me and looking at the positives 2014 was not far behind it.Lets get the numbers out of the way first 14,675km for last year ,what can i say i love to ride my bike,

My main plan was to enjoy my racing and swapping my motorbike for a so called super bike and putting in a super winters work i was mad for road
    I ride A3, old age and lack of talent mean i will never be a world beater but i have to say i was motoring early season and i was very hopeful of a decent season
    But then at the Boyne gp a moments bad luck i was over the bars and found my self in a+e with a fractured collar bone and a dislocated shoulder,the worst part was watching my bike hopping off the road

Its hard to keep me down and within a a week i was back on the turbo and besides poping the saddle of the rail the bike was ok,i could have done without the 4 weeks off work but on the upside my medical guys told me i would be off 6 to 8 weeks, the human body is amazing

So after the inforced brake i started to build again, i had missed one of my main seasons goals of getting round the Gorey in good form, so within a few week of starting racing i was off again in one of the navan races, by chance it was about 2km up the road from where a had my first fall,cracked ribs this time and another 10 days off the bike and back to the build

It was now club league time and with the problems with running races ncd a big thanks has to go to the guys from swords for working so hard to put the league on

The racing in the league was savage with one A1 rider doling out the pain making wendays a proper suffer fest but a super workout,i think i scored points in all the races i rode bar one

I got to follow the ras again this year seeing first hand what the county riders go through leaves me in awe of them, i have big respect to any man who can put themselves through it and the ones that mix it with the pros are super men

With the body in good shape again i was hopeing to have a good finish to the season and so it was i picked up a couple of unplaced pots and finished 8th in a handicapped open race when we managed to stay away from a quality field,it sure was a nice way to finish

One more twist was when we had our training bikes stolen from the house and because of the circumstances they would not pay out on the insurance,but on the plus side their is now new stuff i like new stuff :)
    One of the bikes has since turned up but that needs its own thread,watch this space
    So with a slightly different approach for 2015 i think the over all mileage will be down a bit,but I'm in rude health and still mad for road
    Happy 2015 guys and girls see you on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

First full calendar year on the bike. Not a bad year. A bit lighter, a bit stronger and injury free, thank god.

Love the bike, absolutely love it. I get on it and everything else fades away. If I have a problem when I get on the bike I either solve it, find an alternative or decide I don't give a feck about it. Just a real gift to be able to do it.

Another year like this year would be great. Hardest part will be convincing herself that I need another bike, a second carbon one for training. Any convincing arguments are gratefully accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Did around 3800 in 2014, mix of commuting and leisure. Had issues with strains etc which were sorted out with great help from fellow boardies. Low was bike getting nicked with high getting it back within hours, thanks to all concerned. Strange thing happened when my bike computer fell off last week and got smashed by a car, instead of being pi$$ed off I felt quite happy, that little fecker who had been ruling my cycling life was now kaput. So this year I'm foregoing all recording, I'm just going to enjoy the experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

In terms of fitness, my 2014 was a disaster from the very start. In January I broke my neck, chest and shoulder as well some other stuff in a collision with a car. Spent several months recovering and after some initial roll around the estate type adventures to get my nerve back, i got stuck straight in the hills and my fitness came back fast and was able to enjoy a few hundred km's in the nice weather we had in May untill... I was once again admitted to hospital for several weeks in June with post op septicemia which knocked the **** out of me for a long while, energy levels really took a beating in the following months. But recovered from that and got back out again and tried to get back into a consistent weekly or bi weekly long spin routine but the universe just seems to have conspired against me and my cycling for 2014, but did well considering. Haven't been to the gym since before the accident either but feeling good, what little cycling I have been doing seems to be keeping me ticking along. Reckon about 3000 odd kms for the year on the 'fancy bike'. Bought some nice new gear, saw the giro italia too. Hoping 2015 will be a little luckier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

In terms of fitness, my 2014 was a disaster from the very start. In January I broke my neck, chest and shoulder as well some other stuff in a collision with a car. Spent several months recovering <snip>

Jay.

Sus.

Beasty doesn't have a look in tbh.

Hope you have a great and safe 2015!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Did almost nothing. For some reason after a year break I decided to start by cycling every day for a month. Not a good idea. The legs felt like lead every day, even only doing a few kilometers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement