Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stoke vs Manchester United Match Thread 1/1/2015 k/o 12.45 Sky.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Cue LVG talking about fixture congestion when it's the same for every team and most teams don't have the resources of Utd.

Yep

Same for Chelsea too, if they don't beat spurs they'll have only won 1 of the last 5 away games I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Cue LVG talking about fixture congestion when it's the same for every team and most teams don't have the resources of Utd.
    Dayum wrote: »
    Disgusting really.

With the resources Utd have they should be salivating at the prospect of having an advantage over the minnows...

You two should just kiss and make it official

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Never got going after the changes.

Conditions por but that's not an excuse for the way Utd played.

Even with all the signings there are still a lot of passengers in that team. And until we get ADM back there is no pace in that midfield. Carrick is a necessary settling influence in front of the defence but he doesn't kick anything off and Mata and Rooney are predictable enough in their midfield play.

Feel sorry for Januzai, he's only a kid but he really needs a loan out somewhere.

Any sign of Rojo & Blind coming back?

Peist2007 wrote: »
    So fixture congestion doesnt exist then? Is that what you're saying?

The school holidays continue.

Exactly. We've 8 injuries now counting Young today

Crouch says draw was fair result, lol nice guy

Thought Stoke shaded it with two good chances and a pen

No surprise they're on a good run

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Trilla wrote: »
    Yep

Same for Chelsea too, if they don't beat spurs they'll have only won 1 of the last 5 away games I think.

Won 2, draw 2, lost 1.

8 points from teams including Liverpool and Southampton. Not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Timmyctc wrote: »
    You two should just kiss and make it official

Why do you assume we aren't already.

Peist2007 wrote: »
    So fixture congestion doesnt exist then? Is that what you're saying?

The school holidays continue.

Oh of course it exists, but it doesn't give any team and advantage. Even though Utd should have the advantage given they have all the money to buy a big squad. Oh and didn't they sell/loan out lots of players?

LVGs own fault sounds like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Some weird subs from LVG and the 532 clearly not working. He's causing some the problems for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Lvg's stubborness re 3 cbs is costing utd points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Oh of course it exists, but it doesn't give any team and advantage. Even though Utd should have the advantage given they have all the money to buy a big squad. Oh and didn't they sell/loan out lots of players?

LVGs own fault sounds like it.

It doesn't give any team an advantage and yet none of the top 3 won in the last round of games. Hmm...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is a poor premier league this year where United can maintain third after the last few performances and after a poor start. There are Champions Leagues spots up for grabs imho for some of the 'lesser' teams. Southhampton and West Ham are giving a good go. I doubt they will be in the shake up at the end but it would be nice to see.

Lvg's stubborness re 3 cbs is costing utd points

I agree. The formation looks alien to the players still and midfield is being bypassed as Rooney and Mata are not conventional midfielders. Too many square pegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Dropped points for Stoke but they would have taken a draw before the game.

Utd looking clueless going forward as usual and no Van Persie to rescue the result today.

Won 2, draw 2, lost 1.

8 points from teams including Liverpool and Southampton. Not bad at all.

I said if they lose or draw to spurs today which is possible...then that would be 2 wins from last 6 away. With no injury worries!

Its a tough period over Xmas

I said if they lose or draw to spurs today which is possible...then that would be 2 wins from last 6 away. With no injury worries!

Its a tough period over Xmas

Chelsea will win handily enough.

Liam O wrote: »
    It doesn't give any team an advantage and yet none of the top 3 won in the last round of games. Hmm...

Top 6 played each other in the last round that's why :rolleyes:

Some weird subs from LVG and the 532 clearly not working. He's causing some the problems for himself.

Just one, and it was a bad one.

Top 6 played each other in the last round that's why :rolleyes:

Didn't know Burnley were in the top 6 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

K4t wrote: »
    Dropped points for Stoke but they would have taken a draw before the game.

Utd looking clueless going forward as usual and no Van Persie to rescue the result today.

What United fan would have taken a draw before a game against Stoke?

There shouldn't be any excuses for that performance. United were dire and the situation is becoming dire.

• Advertisement

Just one, and it was a bad one.

Nah, replacing Shaw with Januzaj was a risky one as well. Should have moved to a back 4 and stuck Evans out left. In the end it didn't matter but it could have backfired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

United were dire and the situation is becoming dire.

Lo****ingl.

adox wrote: »
    Lo****ingl.

A win for Arsenal today will bring them within one point of United. Draw's may seem reasonable after the nightmare of last season but if United don't start pulling up their socks they won't be looking over their shoulders for much longer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So how did stoke have an advantage over utd because of the fixture congestion?

So how did stoke have an advantage over utd because of the fixture congestion?

Because players in the league all have similar fitness but not similar abilities. Being tired makes it more about fitness than ability.

Because players in the league all have similar fitness but not similar abilities. Being tired makes it more about fitness than ability.

You just said they have similar fitness? :confused:

You just said they have similar fitness? :confused:

Which means the smaller teams have an advantage over the bigger teams in such situations.

Liverpool are playing in case you didn't know btw...

Which means the smaller teams have an advantage over the bigger teams in such situations.

Liverpool are playing in case you didn't know btw...

I know, I am watching it. Boring enough game though and I'm eating my dinner.

How do the smaller teams have an advantage??>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

sky88 wrote: »
    Terrible performance draw was a fair result no team played well or threatened much

Not sure about that.
    Stoke had a clear penalty not given , also Diouf had a 1-on-1 with the keeper called back wrongly for an offside

Also they hit the post

Think Stoke will feel aggrieved to not get the win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

A win for Arsenal today will bring them within one point of United. Draw's may seem reasonable after the nightmare of last season but if United don't start pulling up their socks they won't be looking over their shoulders for much longer....
    Explain how 32 of 45 points (including games against Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Southampton as well as Everton, Spurs and Stoke away) and/or 24 of 33 (including Arsenal, Liverpool, Southampton, Spurs, Everton, and Stoke away) in the midst of a nothing-short-of-comical injury crisis at the back is 'dire'.

Nah, replacing Shaw with Januzaj was a risky one as well. Should have moved to a back 4 and stuck Evans out left. In the end it didn't matter but it could have backfired.

You're right! I had a brain fart there. The kid needs games, not good enough, yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

We were very lucky with that result to be honest, Stoke did look dangerous at times and that was a definite penalty from the hand ball by smalling.

I was unhappy to see falcao coming off it didn't make sense, rvp should have made way for Herrera without question Falcao was our only striker that looked like scoring.

I'm not sure of this formation , I see people complaining about shaw not going forward here, for what I saw he made a good few runs resulting in a corner and some throw in up stokes end. He's a left back, I don't think the wing back position suits him, if we're going to be playing off the wings then we should be playing to wingers with either rvp or falcao up front and Rooney playing off them, keeping our back line in good strength for any counter attacks that come our way.

rvp and falcao are two out and out finishers why play both? At Tottenham last week both had good chances to lay each other on and they wouldn't. They want to score them selves and it's pretty non effective playing both if they don't link up .

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Can everyone please spare a thought for gits bone, poor chap took time out from supporting United to visit the Liverpool match thread, he was looking for 4 or 5 goals at one stage, delighted for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Can everyone please spare a thought for gits bone, poor chap took time out from supporting United to visit the Liverpool match thread, he was looking for 4 or 5 goals at one stage, delighted for him

There was 4 :D

and his predictions!

You were saying? Nothing is black and white.

Stoke were marginally better today - they didn't dominate.
    Chelsea may well still nick a draw or even win, they won't win handily enough!

• Advertisement

Nice of you to stalk me. :confused:

Get it right at least. :rolleyes:

Quoting again for the lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've had a few "whoosh" moments myself today. It must be in the air.

Says exactly what it's supposed to say

• Advertisement

Says exactly what it's supposed to say

I support Liverpool lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I support Liverpool lad.

Should you not be discussing Liverpools inability to score without relying on penalties to beat Leicester?

I support Liverpool lad.

My point exactly... Sarcasm and jokes are beyond you I see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Should you not be discussing Liverpools inability to score without relying on penalties to beat Leicester?

What's that got to do with Stoke V Man Utd?

Quoting again for the lolz

Hoofball.

lPEHuV0.png

maybe he meant not in this thread :)

Anyways this draw seems to be a good result considering Crouch and Dioufs chances and the obvious penalty

Uniteds penalty cries were weak and the RVP chances weren't as clear cut

I come in here to discuss the Stoke - Utd game and it all comes down to Liverpool. Hashtag obsessed.

And when did Utd last beat Leicester?

I come in here to discuss the Stoke - Utd game and it all comes down to Liverpool. Hashtag obsessed.

Pot, Kettle, Black

And seeing as you don't seem to be the sharpest, here's a link to what that means

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pot_calling_the_kettle_black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

And when did Utd last beat Leicester?

I knew this would be your answer. Notice what I said. United managed to be creative and skilled enough to get 3 past Leicester.....Liverpool had to rely on two penalties. One of which was bull**** as the ball hit Morgan's face.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement