Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco arkeen turing customers away at 20:45 official closing time is 21:00

Options
  • 31-12-2014 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I realise its new years and people want to get out for the new years celebrations but Tesco Arkeen has advertised to be open until 21:00 this evening and yet the guy on security was turning away customers at 20:45 and ushering people already in the store out the emergency exit door, I think this is an absolute disgrace, business hours are business hours and the time for workers to finish up comes after 21:00, I'm not ranting because I was turned away. I luckily got in at 20:30 but when I saw an old man get turned away at 20:45 it made my angry, new celebrations are for everyone

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can't blame them, I'd imagine most people who show up at 8.45 won't be out in 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

I realise its new years and people want to get out for the new years celebrations but Tesco Arkeen has advertised to be open until 21:00 this evening and yet the guy on security was turning away customers at 20:45 and ushering people already in the store out the emergency exit door, I think this is an absolute disgrace, business hours are business hours and the time for workers to finish up comes after 21:00, I'm not ranting because I was turned away. I luckily got in at 20:30 but when I saw an old man get turned away at 20:45 it made my angry, new celebrations are for everyone

A lot of retail outlets do this on new years and xmas eve. A lot of customers come into small stores 45 mins before closing and will still be there after closing so I imagine in a bigger store like tesco it's even worse. Bad form really but not uunusual at this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Almost put money on it staff didn't walk out at 20.59

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

irish_goat wrote: »
    Can't blame them, I'd imagine most people who show up at 8.45 won't be out in 15 minutes.

The ol lad said he only wanted to get 1 thing, probably just wanted to get a few cans of Guinness or a bottle of whiskey. I think most people going in at this time know their time is limited

rasper wrote: »

that's besides the point, business hours are up to 21:00 end of story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

If there was something that you really needed why would you leave it til when the shop is nearly closing to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

that's besides the point, business hours are up to 21:00 end of story

Get a life ffs. If you saw the old man laying into the security guard, you would'nt be on here ranting about it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭titchy

I think most people going in at this time know their time is limited

Then you've never worked in retail

The staff are people too, with families...don't begrudge them trying to get home to their families on NYE (they won't get out at 9)
    I'm sure they've worked Christmas Eve, St. Stephen's Day, NYE and are probably back in again tomorrow....give them a break.

deise08 wrote: »
    If there was something that you really needed why would you leave it til when the shop is nearly closing to get it?

I dunno sh1t happens, perhaps it was something I just wanted it in the last half hour or perhaps it was something I didn't really need but heck since I have an option to get it in a shop that says its open until 21:00

titchy wrote: »
    Then you've never worked in retail

The staff are people too, with families...don't begrudge them trying to get home to their families on NYE (they won't get out at 9)
    I'm sure they've worked Christmas Eve, St. Stephen's Day, NYE and are probably back in again tomorrow....give them a break.

Then thats between them and their bosses at Tesco to officially put the closing time at 20:30. I am sorry their is no argument here a business states its open until 21:00 should do so

• Advertisement

Get a life ffs. If you saw the old man laying into the security guard, you would'nt be on here ranting about it

OMG face palm. No I wouldn't and yea he'd be in the wrong but what's your point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

procrastinators locked out of tescos

beerless

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

They probably mean the store closes at 21.00, not that the doors stay open till 21.00. Ergo, in order to close the store at 21.00, the doors will have to close to customers some time previous to 21.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I thought ever Lidl helped were they closed too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

OMG face palm. No I wouldn't and yea he'd be in the wrong but what's your point?

My point is you should have minded your own business. Its not as if Tesco was doing sfa business all day. Today was one of their busiest days of the year, and you are begrudging the staff getting a few minutes off.

My point is you should have minded your own business. Its not as if Tesco was doing sfa business all day. Today was one of their busiest days of the year, and you are begrudging the staff getting a few minutes off.

I'm sorry but your wrong and I did mind my own business. The simple fact remains is that a business has advertised to be open until 21:00, if it had advertised closed at 4pm, 6pm, 8pm or closed all day I'd be fine with that but they didn't. My complaint is with the business not with the workers , oh and for your information I am on call for what I work at all night so if I'm called I'm called tough sh1t, the workers in tescos aren't forced to be there but when they are they need to comply with what's asked of them. God knows there's plenty of people to take their place in this town

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I'm sorry but your wrong and I did mind my own business. The simple fact remains is that a business has advertised to be open until 21:00, if it had advertised closed at 4pm, 6pm, 8pm or closed all day I'd be fine with that but they didn't. My complaint is with the business not with the workers , oh and for your information I am on call for what I work at all night so if I'm called I'm called tough sh1t, the workers in tescos aren't forced to be there but when they are they need to comply with what's asked of them. God knows there's plenty of people to take their place in this town

I think I've spotted your real issue.

Whosthis wrote: »
    I think I've spotted your real issue.

No its what I signed up and agreed to before hand so no issue at all, making big bucks anyway so its grand ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Opening hours are what the shop has to be open for, not the time they have to permit customers to enter up to.

Many shops do not take customers in 15 minutes before closing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

If your intellect is to be based on this on this post I wouldn't bother, I don't imagine you earn much

Ah come on now what has that got to do with anything? If you have an issue with Tesco why are you resorting to personally abusing people who don't agree with you?

Asmodean wrote: »
    Ah come on now what has that got to do with anything? If you have an issue with Tesco why are you resorting to personally abusing people who don't agree with you?

Because the guy posted the exact same post twice which is taking the piss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ah jayyyysus first world problems. If the store had served people up untill 20:59 -WITH THE FRONT DOORS STILL LETTING PEOPLE IN- then you can be guaranteed that there'd be still folk dothering up to the till at 21:15.

And then what would happen?

cue "Tesco arkeen turning customers away despite letting them in at 20:59" thread. Oh the inhumanity.

Same excuses as the folk rocking up to the pub ad the doorman says no sorry "shur I'll just be going in for the one and I promise I'll be quick".

The only essential thing I can think of is medicine (or baby food!). If your dad is sick OP then away with himself to a hospital. If not then tell him go home and man-up without his .... well actually what was it that was so important?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Pretty common practise OP, especially this time of year. The alternative is to leave the doors open to 2100 but close the tills down and order everyone out of the shop, which I'd imagine you'd be equally indignant about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No sympathy.

There were still transactions going through the tills at 21.07.

Those customers were in well before 20:30.

Everyone says they only need one thing.

Everyone says they'll be quick.

Everyone says they will be well gone by 21:00.

There's announcements at 20:30 and 20:45 to make you way to the tills as they are closing.

Still there's a straggler at the tils 5 mins after they have closed with a trolly of shopping to be put back.

If you think you have a complaint to make:

http://www.tesco.ie/contact-us/customer_service_contact_form/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Stopping new people coming in at 15 minutes to close of business is hardly unreasonable tbh, there are people inside already who will have until 9 to get their **** done, you can be sure the staff are not going to be getting out at 9 anyway, nor 9.30 for plenty of them either I would bet.

If something was that important to you go earlier next time and make sure you get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Although if it was johnnies he was after then I'd make an exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

curioser wrote: »
    They probably mean the store closes at 21.00, not that the doors stay open till 21.00. Ergo, in order to close the store at 21.00, the doors will have to close to customers some time previous to 21.00.

Have you not read the rules?!? You're not allowed bring common sense to a thread like this. Get with the program.

On a serious note, I worked in Dunnes in the late 90's. Closing up at 10 to 9 there'd always be some aul wan or aul fella come in and potter about like we were open all night. "Now will I get white or brown bread, hmmm....".

The guy coming in for his six pack of Guinness or bottle of Paddy would have walked with purpose to the section with the booze and been at the checkout before the security guard noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

They do the same when it's a bank holiday and I've seen them not letting people in at 6.35pm when they've advertised to be open until 7pm.

I think they should advertise the earlier closing time if they want to finish earlier and not mislead people considering when they advertise their regular closing time they don't stop you going in 15 or 25 mins before the advertised closing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I just wanted it in the last half hour or perhaps it was something I didn't really need but heck since I have an option to get it in a shop that says its open until 21:00
    You think **** it, I'll rock up at 9pm instead of 7pm even though you have needed it since like 5pm???

This is whats wrong with humans and a sense of what's known as "consideration"...

Advertisement