Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half marathon advice

Options
  • 01-01-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

I want to do a half marathon this year. What one would people recommend for a first one? I'm based in maynooth. Also any training tips? I currently run 10k in just over an hour!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

In the same boat - was going to do the Connemarathon half purely because of the scenery/location however the logistics seem a bit of a pain. Also you are not allowed earphones etc for safety reasons. Not sure if this is common however I'd need my music to get me through.

Thinking about the Kinvarra half instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

@ lmullen - What time of year are you thinking of?

Connemarathon has a fantastic rep but a very tough course.

Earphones may not be banned in every race but they are certainly seen as very bad etiquette, and I personally believe that they should be banned in every race. Lots of us here have nearly been wiped out by someone with headphones because they have no idea what's going on around them and that there's someone passing them or behind them.

I always wear earphones when running on my own but you just won't need them in a race as you'll be surrounded by people and the company will get you through the race. Plus, it's a social occasion!! Don't pay good money to run with 1000 people and then shut yourself off from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

pointer28 wrote: »
    @ lmullen - What time of year are you thinking of?

Connemarathon has a fantastic rep but a very tough course.

Earphones may not be banned in every race but they are certainly seen as very bad etiquette, and I personally believe that they should be banned in every race. Lots of us here have nearly been wiped out by someone with headphones because they have no idea what's going on around them and that there's someone passing them or behind them.

I always wear earphones when running on my own but you just won't need them in a race as you'll be surrounded by people and the company will get you through the race. Plus, it's a social occasion!! Don't pay good money to run with 1000 people and then shut yourself off from everyone.

It's a fair point about earpones however I suppose those of us that have little to no experience would like copy as much as possible the approach we use when training/jogging on our own....at least for the first few official races. As you say they may not be needed after that. I certainly wouldn't have the music on so loud as I'm not aware of whats going on around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

TheBazman wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't have the music on so loud as I'm not aware of whats going on around me.

:D:D:D

I have yet to see a single person say "oh yeah, maybe I'm not aware of what's going on around me when I'm wearing earphones"
    I see them in races a lot, but none of them seem to post on boards!

you could try Bohermeen as a first half marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

bohermeen is fairlrly flat .so good for a first time.

car parking a bit hairy as last two years it s been wet,so cars were getting stuck in the farmers field/car park

re training plan google mcmillan running race calculator,there will be a half mara plan for various speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭mjp

What date is 2015 bohermeen race as can't seem to find 2015 dates on their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

March 8th
    (there's a Meath Road Races thread below)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

I'm signed up for the Wicklow "gaol break" half marathon on March 22nd ... looks like a bit of fun, much simpler logistics for me than trying to figure out the travel & accommodation awkwardness of the Connemarathon.

Other than that, I've done the Dublin Rock'n'Roll half the last two years, and would recommend it as a first half ... very well organized, easy enough course, lots of drinks/gels provided, and a bit of music along the route which gives another reason to leave the earphones at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I was thinking about doing my first this year too and am leaning towards the Rock n' Roll half.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Last year I ran the dublin race series half in the phoenix park as my first half marathon. I'd recommend it if you're based near dublin and prepared to wait until September. You have the race series 5 mile, 10k, and 10 mile as stepping stones from late June. There are good transport links, with a shuttle bus from Heuston, it's very well organised, and you get the benefit of running down Chesterfield avenue which is a long, gradual descent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 colin31

clontarf in July is suppose to be a fast course. shall be looking to do this one myself

Advertisement