Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSF Health Insurance duration

Options
  • 01-01-2015 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm probably a total idiot and have shot myself in the foot, but here we go.

December 2013 I registered myself and my spouse for a HSF health plan. HSF took monthly deductions every month via direct deposit. I was just checking my bank account now and noticed that no deduction was made for this past December (2014). I was of the understanding that I would continue to be enrolled so long as I didn't call to cancel (the term for this escapes me now, perhaps "yearly recurring subscription"?). Judging from the fact they didn't charge me, however, I suppose that means it was a 12 month contract and it isn't automatically renewed. I've checked all the documents I have from them, and see nowhere any information on this point one way or the other.

I find it weird as any other company that uses fixed-term contracts has always contacted me either via email or telephone to tell me that my contract is about to finish, and ask whether I'd like to continue on for another year (e.g. my telephone provider, car insurance provider, etc.). HSF never contacted me.

If I'm now uninsured, my spouse and I are left in a horrible position. I've already tried calling, but logically the offices are closed until tomorrow. I'll call them again tomorrow, but just wanted to see if I could have a heads up from here before I get in touch with them. My questions are:

1) Are HSF health plans on 12 month fixed-term contracts?
    2) If so, does HSF not normally contact people when the contract is coming to an end?
    3) If the cover has finished, is it too late to simply re-enroll without causing us to reset the mandatory waiting periods for making a claim?

I know the obvious answer is to call them directly, but if anybody has been in this position or is knowledgeable in general about how it works, I'd greatly appreciate any input. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No, mine always just kept going. I missed about 10 payments on mat leave because they were coming from payroll and I just called and paid what I owed.

Again when they changed offices I missed a few payments and I called and fixed up, no issues or break in cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 raspberrypie

We've been with HSF on one of their low cost options since late 2013, it has been recurrent billing. Not just for 12 months. We've never had to claim to date but will have to shortly.

By the way, you might notice they have a supposed 24 hours GP Line, you get a call back from a UK based GP after phoning an 1890 number and booking a phone consultation. However that is not entirely true, we phoned in the early hours of the morning and were told there was no doctor available until 7am, even though in the HSF literature it will tell you, "the HSF health plan GP Telephone Consultation Service is available 24 hours a day, every single day of the year". Not true.

mypolicy.hsf.co.uk/PDF/HSF_Assist_ROI.pdf

Advertisement