Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC2 Oíche na Gaoithe Móire - Night of the Big Wind

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

Also Tues 6 Jan 10.15 pm RTE 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541

Did ya see the picture they used to advertise it, a bunch of peasant looking Irish ! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

6541 wrote: »
    Did ya see the picture they used to advertise it, a bunch of peasant looking Irish ! Thanks.

About right for 1839.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

6541 wrote: »

Would you prefer if they showed the gentry? :confused: Poor things, they must have suffered so much more than them pesky, worthless peasants..

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They should have showed people coming out of a starbucks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

At the start i was like what am i watchin reminded me of those movies on the syfy channel:pac:

Its turning out to be a decent enough documentary....until the comment at the end lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

well done RTE, the fairies are to blame....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Of course they couldn't end it without mentioning the demon climate change which is all our faults :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

and don't forget god. I was a bit disappointed but that last bit took the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oh god, where did they get man with the hair??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

he posts on here in the f1 and the snow thread by the look of him and the crap he was spouting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

he posts on here in the f1 and the snow thread by the look of him and the crap he was spouting

My my, we got us a bad ass in da house. :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Not really OT but slightly to the side.........:D

I have wondered did Oiche na Gaoithe mor contribute to the famine occurring?
    There was so much devastation to land and crops(so many trees destroyed etc) and the vast majority of people depended on the land.
    And also, people had to rebuild/re roof etc that any spare money went so when the bad times rolled round the household purse was empty.

As anyone who gardens will know, soil can be fickle and that kind of disruption makes you think..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

You won't find F1 discussed here, you'll have to go to this forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=271

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Smidge wrote: »

I'd say not, there was plenty of food available, it just wasn't given to the people who needed it.

Not really OT but slightly to the side.........:D

There was so much devastation to land and crops(so many trees destroyed etc) and the vast majority of people depended on the land.
    And also, people had to rebuild/re roof etc that any spare money went so when the bad times rolled round the household purse was empty.

As anyone who gardens will know, soil can be fickle and that kind of disruption makes you think..
    The blight came from America in ships and seed potatoes they exported to Europe, the famine was caused by Irelands dependency on the potato crop even though Ireland still exported enough food to feed the nation during the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Disappointing programme - too much fairies not enough weather!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The old and new fairies, the new fairies are using hocus pocus to predict inclement weather ;)

Of course they couldn't end it without mentioning the demon climate change which is all our faults :rolleyes:

Well given that 2014 looks like it will be the warmest year on record
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/2014-officially-hottest-year-on-record/

The climate change 'skeptics' might need to re-think their position on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Akrasia wrote: »
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/2014-officially-hottest-year-on-record/

The climate change 'skeptics' might need to re-think their position on the matter

The antarctic recorded their coldest temperature on record in 2013 and record breaking ice cover also.....

And we had coldest winter in 100 years here in ireland just few years ago dont forget

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think they deserve a little leeway, we are talking about 1839, there wasnt much science to go on. The population were much more ignorant and superstitious, I thought the assessment of the winds by the contemporary accounts of damage contrasting with how spooked the people were by God's Wrath and fairies was fair approach.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Trowing stones at the wind was a great insight. :) Tried it today...it didn't stop it. :(

Since records began, which isn't that long ago ;) amazing how every year nowadays it either the warmest, wettest, coldest and any flood and storm is caused by climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

It was indeed disappointing , there was little information to go on for obvious reasons but would there not have been some kind of archive footage of old-timers whom would have memories of that night being passed down through generations ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

yep, when i saw the gombeen with the big beard i switched off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

The blight came from America in ships and seed potatoes they exported to Europe, the famine was caused by Irelands dependency on the potato crop even though Ireland still exported enough food to feed the nation during the famine.

I know what caused it :)
    I more meant did it contribute to making it worse.
    Anyway, back on topic :)

Hooter23 wrote: »
    The antarctic recorded their coldest temperature on record in 2013 and record breaking ice cover also.....

And we had coldest winter in 100 years here in ireland just few years ago dont forget

Cherry picking regional anomolies does not disprove climate change.
    The global average temperature is the headline figure and the trend is unambiguous

However, this thread is not appropriate for global warming discussion
    try here instead
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056351053

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think they deserve a little leeway, we are talking about 1839, there wasnt much science to go on. The population were much more ignorant and superstitious, I thought the assessment of the winds by the contemporary accounts of damage contrasting with how spooked the people were by God's Wrath and fairies was fair approach.
    I don't think the folklore should've been ignored, it was/ is an interesting aspect. Fairy trees are certainly still evident around the Irish countryside. Even around me where hard-nosed businessmen have totally changed the landscape with in filling and knocking ditches, single tree's are left. It just went too far - every re-enactment seemed to have fairies/ wisps flying around.

Also, I don't recall man made climate change being referenced. Climate change yes, man-made no. However, I could be wrong (I was falling asleep, so may have missed a reference).

Cherry picking regional anomolies does not disprove climate change.
    The global average temperature is the headline figure and the trend is unambiguous

However, this thread is not appropriate for global warming discussion
    try here instead
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056351053

How would you go about calculating such an average?

• Advertisement

I know what caused it :)
    I more meant did it contribute to making it worse.
    Anyway, back on topic :)
    It didn't contribute to it ;)

Advertisement