Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Read Mod Warning in OP 7/1/15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

If LVG persists with 5 at the back without a complete clear out in centre-backs he won't be there all that long IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

baz2009 wrote: »
    To mark the club’s FA Cup run, 250 special edition commemorative tickets for the third round tie with Manchester United that would have followed a second round replay win at Yeovil are being issued and available to buy for just £20 each

I know they're a small club and every little helps and all but that is just grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Two more injurys to the defence !!
    Wtf !

The price fee for Shaw seems like a joke now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Because of unforeseen injuries? Bit harsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why?
    He has been unlucky with injuries not at lot that can be done about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Deiseboy01

We should have kept Fabio for parts, Rafael has been smashed since he left, were they playing alternative games or something to fool Fergie into believing Raf was an injury free player?

Really need a rb at this point. Whatever happened to that Swiss lad we were linked to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Although we do need RB cover and more CB, I fully expect whoever is signed to be injured within a matter of weeks and we're back to square one

Because of unforeseen injuries? Bit harsh

He showed up fat after the world cup for one!!!
    He hasnt made an impression in the games hes played when fit.
    Think his good season last year was a bit of a flash in the pan imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

untrue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

He hasnt made an impression in the games hes played when fit.
    Think his good season last year was a bit of a flash in the pan imo.

He didn't show up fat and he had more than one good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

He will end up a great buy, he has just been incredibly unlucky with injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I've compiled a list of our players that don't seem to be injury prone.

1. De Gea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I've compiled a list of our players that don't seem to be injury prone.

1. De Gea

You know what you've done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

From losing 4-0 to MK Dons to today.

Im happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Our formation is awful producing awful attacking football and even awful-er defensive comedy sketches

Something needs to change before our luck runs out, some of the performances during our unbeaten run have been putrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Im happy.

You shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

adox wrote: »
    You know what you've done?

Well at least we've had a good run...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Real sociedad just beat barca, delighted for Moyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hococop wrote: »

Caught the second half, they were brilliant defensively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Real Sociedad 1-0 Barcelona

Delighted for Moyes

EDIT: Just beaten there by Hococop

Hococop wrote: »
    Was flicking between the Barca match and the darts - great result for Moyes and Madrid .. Barca manager will be destroyed for leaving players out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

This day last year, Moyes oversaw a United team beaten at home by Swansea in the FA cup. Twelve months later and he's just beaten the 3rd best club side in the world :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is that 3 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss for Moyes. Not too bad

I said when he was appointed I think he'll get them into Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Is that 3 wins, 4 draws and 1 loss for Moyes. Not too bad

I said when he was appointed I think he'll get them into Europe

He set his team up perfectly tonight.

He was helped by Luis Enrique's team selection and general lack of tactical acumen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

irishfeen wrote: »
    Was flicking between the Barca match and the darts - great result for Moyes and Madrid .. Barca manager will be destroyed for leaving players out
    Not just any players, Messi and Neymar.

Delighted for him, but before anyone has any thought about regret in getting rid if him, it was not.

He is a manager of the underdog and he is a good one in that circumstance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Delighted for him, but before anyone has any thought about regret in getting rid if him, it was not.

Agreed. That's why I think Sociedad is a great fit for him. Similar to Everton, a handful of talented players and a lot of game ones who'll put in a shift.

Tonight, as they would say in Spain, he managed to Estacionar el Autobús. Similar to what he has done in England in the past when playing better quality of opposition.

Yep, he will take Real Soc up to 5th or 6th I bet - do an Everton on it... Some players have a level and so do managers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Confirmed that Rafael has a cracked cheek bone , and Shaw had ankle trouble, that's why they were subbed today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

What's this Raf's 4th injury this season already? IMO a RB takes priority over CB in this transfer window, really poor options there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Confirmed that Rafael has a cracked cheek bone

I bet that really hurts! He'll be back looking like Facundo Sava soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Anyone know how Sam Bryam at Leeds is getting on? Leeds are **** so probably not very well but I remember hearing a bit about potential in him

Who plays RB for reserves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Montroseee wrote: »
    What's this Raf's 4th injury this season already? IMO a RB takes priority over CB in this transfer window, really poor options there.

I'd take one of each.

As for anyone in the reserves, I've taken my eye of watching them a little of recent times but only Janko or Verjmil spring to mind, not sure either would be good enough to step up. I found the loaning of Varela to what is effectively Real Madrid's B team very strange. Wonder if he could be recalled to do a job as he looked decent the few games I saw him in the reserves.... Big step up I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I look around the SF and it hits me we have a really good man utd fan community here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Montroseee wrote: »

Raf has been available for a while now, just not selected for whatever reason. A cracked cheekbone is hardly something you can be upset about, its just a freak injury. Nothing can be done to prevent them, could have happened to anybody on the pitch.

Headshot wrote: »
    I look around the SF and it hits me we have a really good man utd fan community here

You mean compared to other supporters or other community's or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Confirmed that Rafael has a cracked cheek bone , and Shaw had ankle trouble, that's why they were subbed today

At least it will mean an end to 352

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You mean compared to other supporters or other community's or both?

Compared to other super threads (fans) on this SF

I don't think there's one trouble maker besides your self Kew ;) among us

Headshot wrote: »
    Compared to other super threads (fans) on this SF

I don't think there's one trouble maker besides your self Kew ;) among us

Haha.

Ya I would tend to agree with you on that.

Good mix of discussion and bit of banter when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Trond wrote: »
    At least it will mean an end to 352

How so? The only hope of a regular back four being played is when both of them are fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Great to see Angel back, badly missed in those recent draws, when we needed a bit of magic.

'3-5-2' is this season's version of 'Young/Clev/Valencia' consistently appearing on the teamsheet last season; It almost makes me get sick in my mouth each time I see it and I can't help but think 'Why?' given the evidence that it just isn't working.

Herrera's goal was sublime. The pass wasn't meant for him given it was a strong deflection which brought it to his feet, but how many of our CMs would have taken that shot on given their back was to the goal, about 23 yards out, and surrounded by opposing defenders? I know it is hard to picture an alternate 'If' reality, but any of our other CMs in that situation I see them trying to secure the ball and make a pass. The only other in the recent past I can think of with such vision and execution is this man...

Of course the goal above is in a different galaxy to Herrera's goal, but there are many attributes of Herrera's game that remind me of Scholsey's and the knowledge of where the goal is and the abilty to plant the ball there out of the blue is one of them. Today's team performance vs fúckin Yeovil was atrocious, but I am delighted to see Herrera back and with a quality goal to hopefully boost his confidence.

The only other positive I'm taking from today is a good performance from Di Maria. Not only did he keep Yeovil from equalising and who knows how that would have changed the game, but he then went and sealed the victory for us with his staggering pace and a perfect chip. I get a little nervous when in one on one situations the player goes to dink it over the keeper; You see so many of these go wrong, but the man on the ball was ADM and his finish was class. Another returning 'new' player who could do with the confidence from a good goal.

All going to plan, Fellaini and Rojo will be back in the squad for the game vs Southampton but whether LVG chooses to start either of them is another thing. I for one will be glad though to see Fellaini back and this should also provide the means to not have to play Fletcher so often. Same goes for Rojo over Evans. I have been a fan of Evans in recent years but he isn't doing the job as of late. While I don't want to see him gone, I feel Rojo will be the far better option when he's back.

All in all, a few utterly crap performances in mind, I have to remember that we've come through an over-packed December/xmas/new year's schedule in pretty good order. The dropped points vs Villa, Spurs and Stoke were disappointing, all the more so when compared to City and Chelsea also dropping points. However we have been lucky to win some games too so it kind of balances out.

The main thing now is to secure third in the league and what happens above us with Chelsea and City is now secondary to that. I would love to see us sign a CB and a RB in this window if the right ones were available, but I'm not entertaining transfer gossip and notions for at least another 2 weeks.biggrin.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

What's peoples opinion on us going for Fabian Schar this month? I know he mightn't be world class but I think he could tide us over until the summer when the likes of Hummels would be easier to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Moyes got 1 player last summer and that was Fellaini. I feel if he'd have gotten Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Blind, Shaw and Rojo it'd have looked a lot better. If Moyes was doing what LVG is now with regards performances he'd be getting dogs abuse after spending so much money. He ultimately never got a chance and was treated disgracefully by players who were the first that LVG shipped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    Moyes got 1 player last summer and that was Fellaini. I feel if he'd have gotten Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Blind, Shaw and Rojo it'd have looked a lot better. If Moyes was doing what LVG is now with regards performances he'd be getting dogs abuse after spending so much money. He ultimately never got a chance and was treated disgracefully by players who were the first that LVG shipped out.

Not sure how anyone can defend Moyes after what happened last season.

Lost 4-1 and 3-0 to City.
    3-1 to Chelsea
    1-0 and 3-0 to Liverpool
    Lost to Spurs at home.
    Lost 1-0 and 3-0 to Everton
    Lost to Newcastle, WBA at home
    Lost to Sunderland at home.

Couldn't beat any of the top teams, forget beating IIRC we only drew against Chelsea and Spurs and Southampton in top 8 teams and only beat Stoke in top 10 teams.

Players didn't help either but that's down to Manager. One year we have a manager who was like fcuk Madrid, we will do them and next year we have uninspiring manager who was like "we will make it hard for Newcastle at Old Trafford". Players who won loads couldn't take any of this loser mentality.

Also there were rumors that most of the players were not happy with his training methods which for most part was without ball.

Moyes had time to make deals, he didn't. He chose not to. Strootman, Thiago, Garay could have been signed but he didn't. He can't blame anyone as ManUtd spent 64 Million on 2 players.

Edit: I have already posted this, but will repeat Van Gaal achieved whatever he did this season with the same old squad minus Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick for most season, Hernandez, Welbeck and Kagawa.

New signings hardly played any games.
    This is one line that is used by opposition fans when talking about improvement. The common line is "yeah he has spent 150 Million so it's hard not to improve" but no one points out that our new signings hardly played. Btw I know your post was sarcastic one. I'm just saying in general.

All the 6 players played combined 4144 mins which is 46 games between them.
    In total (for 11 players) we have played 18810 mins in the league. So that's only 22% of the total mins our new signings played.

So for 11 players total games will be 209 (11*19) and our new players played 46 games between them. Or average of just 7 games per player.

More or less Van Gaal achieved everything with same old players minus Vidic, Rio, Evra, Welbeck, Nani, Hernandez, Carrick who missed around 50% games

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93603700&postcount=9635

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There's probably a reason for without the ball training, United have a lot of technical players but their off the ball pressing is atrocious at times. You say he had time to make deals? I'd argue Woodward shut down a deal for Herrera at least who Moyes clearly wanted and didn't get. He wasn't backed with anything like the money LVG has been.

Mata was an opportunistic signing that made sense for his talent level but I feel if it wasn't for him being Mata there'd probably have been nothing in January. It was clear that more players were needed and Moyes seemed to make deals for the Summer which Woodward was happy to sign off on but then doesn't allow him to use them.

The squad was nowhere near good enough last season and I feel the crap hasn't been weeded out as well as if Moyes had stayed. Only the money spent has Van Gaal's team in the top 4 atm with Di Maria, Rojo and Blind contributing a lot this season even if the others haven't been huge contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    There's probably a reason for without the ball training, United have a lot of technical players but their off the ball pressing is atrocious at times. You say he had time to make deals? I'd argue Woodward shut down a deal for Herrera at least who Moyes clearly wanted and didn't get. He wasn't backed with anything like the money LVG has been.

Mata was an opportunistic signing that made sense for his talent level but I feel if it wasn't for him being Mata there'd probably have been nothing in January. It was clear that more players were needed and Moyes seemed to make deals for the Summer which Woodward was happy to sign off on but then doesn't allow him to use them.

The squad was nowhere near good enough last season and I feel the crap hasn't been weeded out as well as if Moyes had stayed. Only the money spent has Van Gaal's team in the top 4 atm with Di Maria, Rojo and Blind contributing a lot this season even if the others haven't been huge contributors.

Keep repeating it until someday someone believes it.

New players played only 22% of the total mins. Van Gaal is working with same squad minus Rio, Vidic, Evra, Hernandez, Welbeck, Kagawa, Nani abd Carrick for 50% games.

He has made Fellaini somewhat useful and promoted players like Blackett, McNair and working with them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement