Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Read Mod Warning in OP 7/1/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Keep repeating it until someday someone believes it.

New players played only 22% of the total mins. Van Gaal is working with same squad minus Rio, Vidic, Evra, Hernandez, Welbeck, Kagawa, Nani abd Carrick for 50% games.

He has made Fellaini somewhat useful and promoted players like Blackett, McNair and working with them.

Right because Moyes didn't have any issues with players unable to play. A lot of that 22% number is due to his reluctance to play the new signings so how can that be used as a plus for him? Having midfield options of Carrick, Cleverley, an unfit Fellaini and Fletcher is a bit different to having Blind, Carrick (between both have been fit about the entire season), Di Maria, Herrera and Fletcher. Are you honestly trying to say that Di Maria, Blind and Rojo aren't responsible for points so far this season? Heck, Falcao has been responsible for 2 points which would have United on the cusp of falling out of the top 4. 37 points from 20 is just 3 more than last season at This stage, it's just lucky for now at least the competition isn't as high.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »
    Right because Moyes didn't have any issues with players unable to play. A lot of that 22% number is due to his reluctance to play the new signings so how can that be used as a plus for him? Having midfield options of Carrick, Cleverley, an unfit Fellaini and Fletcher is a bit different to having Blind, Carrick (between both have been fit about the entire season), Di Maria, Herrera and Fletcher. Are you honestly trying to say that Di Maria, Blind and Rojo aren't responsible for points so far this season? Heck, Falcao has been responsible for 2 points which would have United on the cusp of falling out of the top 4. 37 points from 20 is just 3 more than last season at This stage, it's just lucky for now at least the competition isn't as high.

He had issues with injuries, I was talking about new players only and how many mins they played.

Blind is injured, Shaw was injured, Herrera was out and not fully fit for many weeks, Rojo is out injured, Di Maria missed few weeks due to injury. Only player he was reluctant to use was Falcao.

Moyes had Carrick, Fletcher, Cleverley, Fellaini as options? So whose mistake was that to reject Thiago, Strootman and Garay? He had all the time in the world to sign midfielders and he chose not to.

Blind, Herrera are not world beaters, could have signed last year but we didn't because Moyes was not sure about Herrera at first and only during last few days he wanted him (as per few reports).

So how many points did Welbeck, Hernandez, Kagawa won last season? How many options did Vidic, Evra, Rio provided for Moyes as defensive cover?

If one player acted like **** then I would say it's player's mistake but when whole team wanted Moyes out then I know where the issue was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Moyes got 1 player last summer and that was Fellaini. I feel if he'd have gotten Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera, Blind, Shaw and Rojo it'd have looked a lot better. If Moyes was doing what LVG is now with regards performances he'd be getting dogs abuse after spending so much money. He ultimately never got a chance and was treated disgracefully by players who were the first that LVG shipped out.

You could also argue that LVG injury list is off the scale .

I can see your point in fairness, but I can see the progress and can see what LVG is trying to do.

With Moyes, I never felt he had any type of positive tactical plan. The Fulham home game was a example.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I like Moyes as a person, and I was delighted to see him win against Barcelona.
    I think he was in a no win situation, the transfer window was a disaster to start with and one can point the blame at him there, he put too much faith in the existing squad given they had won the league easily enough.

The job was too big for him, and it was like Fergie was always looking over his shoulder, then that chosen one thing didn't help with the perception of things.
    He needed to have a winning record, and that didn't exist.

LVG in contrast has a winning record, an air of control and the charisma needed for the job. We can disagree with some of his choices but deep down there is a trust that he knows what he is doing and will h=get the club to where it should be in world football.
    He was the architect behind the success of Barcelona and Bayern Munich, and no reason why it won't be the same for us.

Moyes had no success to fall back on, and the game play was not exciting to watch.
    The thing is the whole Moyes experiment might in the long run have been a positive for the club: the need for investment and the best possible, proven is better than potential if one wants success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Fergie has been to just as many United home games this season.

"Fergie looking over his shoulder" was one of the most annoying, bull****ty excuses made for Moyes last season.

Do we even need to reopen this debate ? onwards and upwards under a manager that can actually take the club forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

people are on about our lack of creativity yesterday and it was appaling. but, how can anybody (including LVG) be surprised when the starting 10 outfield players consists of 5 defenders plus Darran Fletcher in the team?

this nonsense of 3 center halves has to stop, its not working - they either hoofed the ball into the stands or kept giving it away time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

people are on about our lack of creativity yesterday and it was appaling. but, how can anybody (including LVG) be surprised when the starting 10 outfield players consists of 5 defenders plus Darran Fletcher in the team?

this nonsense of 3 center halves has to stop, its not working - they either hoofed the ball into the stands or kept giving it away time and time again.

10 outfield players consisted of 5 defenders, Fletcher, 2 #9s in Falcao and Wilson.

Only Herrera and Rooney are capable of passing or creating chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

beno619 wrote: »

"Fergie looking over his shoulder" was one of the most annoying, bull****ty excuses made for Moyes last season.

Do we even need to reopen this debate ? onwards and upwards under a manager that can actually take the club forward.

That is not the point I am making.

Moyes was the first after Fergie, a legend in the game, the media played to this. Moyes had no record of success but was being compared to one of the most successful managers in football.
    For LVG he has the success that rivals Fergie, he comes in after Moyes, so it doesn't matter if Fergie attends the same number of games. LVG has his own record and one could argue more in the Fergie mould than Moyes ever was.

Moyes had no excuses, and when things went south he had no record to say he could turn things around to win things.
    We all saw how the cameras would turn to Fergie when things went wrong in a game, it was like a game the media played.
    I don't see it as an excuse, it didn't influence individual games, but the chosen one was like a curse on the club, sure Moyes got sacked and then both Liverpool teams started losing... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

beno619 wrote: »

In fairness, the media had a getgo story from the first ball was kicked, never mind the TV producers being able to go to a steady shot of Ferguson when things weren't going well.

I don't think there was any issues with Ferguson, and I don't think Moyes felt any pressure in that regard, or there was any meddling.

Noticeable how it doesn't happen this season, bar when another team score, the odd time the director flicks the camera on Fergie.

I think that was a myth spun up by the media, moreso then there being any actual substance to it. Considering most clubs have their absolute legends and icons watching home games, I don't see how it was a unique situation for Moyes.

Especially when you consider Beckenbauer and Munich, and how he isn't afraid to let the world know what he thinks of a manager or player. Ferguson handled that well keeping relatively quiet throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    10 outfield players consisted of 5 defenders, Fletcher, 2 #9s in Falcao and Wilson.

Only Herrera and Rooney are capable of passing or creating chances.

And Rooney had one of his games where he just can't execute a short simple pass... then goes and plays an inch perfect 60 yarder for the 2nd goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Look, this 3-5-2 formation would work with the right players.
    The back 3 yesterday consisted of 2 novices and a fella who essentially came from non league football. The wingers were essentially 2 full backs. The centre of midfield had Fletcher who is finished. And Herrara, Rooney, Falcao and another rookie in Wilson in front of that.
    For the formation to work, you need 3 experienced ball playing quick centre halves, 2 attacking wingers who are willing to work back, a general in the holding role and 2 creative players in front of him and then 2 strikers, one of whom must have pace in spades.
    The current side is a mile off that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And Rooney had one of his games where he just can't execute a short simple pass... then goes and plays an inch perfect 60 yarder for the 2nd goal.

It's Rooney for you; games where he's useless for 89 minutes, 55 seconds are more and more common, but there'll always be 5 seconds that he'll do something like that. Issue comes when that moment comes too late in the game after the other team has conceded, or if everyone else isn't ready for it and those 5 seconds are waste....

RobertKK wrote: »
    That is not the point I am making.

Thats fair enough then, I mostly agree with your post.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    In fairness, the media had a getgo story from the first ball was kicked, never mind the TV producers being able to go to a steady shot of Ferguson when things weren't going well.

Thats true,my issue was with people on the thread being sucked into the propaganda machine. There were lots of posters in here last season complaining about Fergie's presence in the stand.
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    It's Rooney for you; games where he's useless for 89 minutes, 55 seconds are more and more common, but there'll always be 5 seconds that he'll do something like that. Issue comes when that moment comes too late in the game after the other team has conceded, or if everyone else isn't ready for it and those 5 seconds are waste....

A he's just not a midfielder at the end of the day. Formation and his use of our forwards would be my biggest criticism of LVG so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Ive probably said it already in here but in regards to the 3-5-2 it isn't LVG's preferred formation.

If/when he gets the defence and midfield sorted with both fully fit players and new signings we wont see 3-5-2 from him. At both Barca and Munich he played a 433 or a version of it.

Its been used this season as a damage limitation formation given the weakness in midfield and injuries at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Trond wrote: »
    Ive probably said it already in here but in regards to the 3-5-2 it isn't LVG's preferred formation.

If/when he gets the defence and midfield sorted with both fully fit players and new signings we wont see 3-5-2 from him. At both Barca and Munich he played a 433 or a version of it.

Its been used this season as a damage limitation formation given the weakness in midfield and injuries at the back.

So we are playing fucking horrible in it and he doesn't like to use it anyway, so why do we continue to play it?

We had the personnel available to play 4 at the back yesterday, so why did he start with 352?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Said it myself too - LVG said recently he was playing 352 because Young and Valencia are not full backs, so couldn't play them as full backs. Was hoping with Shaw and Raf getting back to fitness that we would be looking at a back 4 again, but that didn't last long! Though it wouldn't explain why both Raf and Shaw started yesterday and we still played 352. Can only hope it was because LVG either didn't have, or was protecting, the midfield options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He had full backs and midfielders yesterday to move away from 3-5-2 so i don't know why your sure he will move away from 3-5-2.

His persistence with playing Rooney in midfield is really annoying me. Playing players out of position so he can get as many big names on the field as he can. Which is unbalancing the team and making the side so slow and unproductive going foward.

Play a midfielder and let Mata, Rooney, RVP and Falcao rotate for the top 3 positions and play Herrera ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

DDG

---Raf
    Smalling----Rojo
    Shaw

Carrick

Di Maria
    Herrera

Rooney

RVP
    Falcao

Nuts102 wrote: »
    He had full backs and midfielders yesterday to move away from 3-5-2 so i don't know why your sure he will move away from 3-5-2.

His persistence with playing Rooney in midfield is really annoying me. Playing players out of position so he can get as many big names on the field as he can. Which is unbalancing the team and making the side so slow and unproductive going foward.

Play a midfielder and let Mata, Rooney, RVP and Falcao rotate for the top 3 positions and play Herrera ffs.

Possibly:

Fellaini injured, Blind injured.
    Carrick being rested, Mata being rested.
    Herrera only coming back to fitness.
    Fletcher doesn't have the engine to do more than sit anymore.
    Di Maria being eased back.

It is possible that LVG didn't feel he had the options (through either injury or fixture list induced resting) to start with the 4 in midfield - and that he felt the players put out would show more capability in retaining and moving the ball around than they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Been saying this all season. If Moyes had been at this he would have been labelled as bowing to player pressure or something, but LVG gets away with it.

And I'll also repeat what I said a few weeks ago, Wilson has done absolutely zilch to justify the gametime he is getting.

So we are playing fucking horrible in it and he doesn't like to use it anyway, so why do we continue to play it?

We had the personnel available to play 4 at the back yesterday, so why did he start with 352?

I never said he doesn't like to use it.

Its an option he turns to in certain scenarios. He used it with the Dutch team during the world cup. He certainly didn't have the personnel in midfield to play 433 yesterday.

Only when we sign someone like Strootman/Vidal will you see him trust a 433 with United....

I never said he doesn't like to use it.

Its an option he turns to in certain scenarios. He used it with the Dutch team during the world cup. He certainly didn't have the personnel in midfield to play 433 yesterday.

Only when we sign someone like Strootman/Vidal will you see him trust a 433 with United....

Not sure he would trust the wingers either, and is top heavy on strikers for a 433.

I reckon the 442 diamond we have breifly seen is the plan, the one Nuts posted above. It is the only formation I think makes sense for the squad we have.

Not sure he would trust the wingers either, and is top heavy on strikers for a 433.

I reckon the 442 diamond we have breifly seen is the plan, the one Nuts posted above. It is the only formation I think makes sense for the squad we have.

Yeah big time, none of them are really suited to anything other than the central role in a front 3. Wilson could be an option long term for one of the other slots (on the right of a front 3).

At this stage anything other than a 352 suits me! Poor De Gea has had more back passes this season than the rest of his career to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Been saying this all season. If Moyes had been at this he would have been labelled as bowing to player pressure or something, but LVG gets away with it.

And I'll also repeat what I said a few weeks ago, Wilson has done absolutely zilch to justify the gametime he is getting.

you are clearly not seeing any utd reserve games so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I might be in a minority here but i don't think falcao has done enough or shown enough to be bought for the kind of money that's being talked about.I'd prefer to see united go after a striker who would offer more physical presence and pace.

• Advertisement

Rooney's goals are covering things up a bit.

Since he see's Rooney as a Midfielder that effectively make Wilson our 3rd choice striker along with injuries to Di Maria and Herrera which may explains why he has gotten so many games

I might be in a minority here but i don't think falcao has done enough or shown enough to be bought for the kind of money that's being talked about.I'd prefer to see united go after a striker who would offer more physical presence and pace.

Dont think your in a minority on this one.

I'm with you there. A few friends are saying I'm being harsh and that he needs match fitness etc. Sorry, that's not really the sort of excuse I'd buy for a guy on 300k a week and will cost in excess of €40m.

It was no secret he was suffering serious issues after he was rushed back to try make the world cup, and then rushed back for Monaco exasperating his injury. In his Athletico days he had explosive pace, that I havn't seen yet.

His first touch thus far has been absolutely shocking, with balls bouncing off him like he is a brick wall. That might be down to rustiness, but when exactly does that wear off? Surely he gets balls fired at him in training with back to goal to work on it. He had some nice touches yesterday but still had some very loose ones.

Unless he hits a vein of uninterrupted form for the rest of the season, scoring and assisting, I don't think his wages or transfer fee would be justified.

As I said previously, Cavani is someone who would probably be more appealing if Falcao doesn't meet expectations, and your looking at outlaying 40m+ on a striker.

I had a feeling Rooney didn't look particularly arsed yesterday. Very slow and laboured in his approach. I think it stemmed from De Gea, who was very slow in his distribution and slowed the game down.

Blackett was the same, with only Smalling really looking to drive forward. Not sure if it was a managerial call, or if the players took the game too lightly.

Unfortunately Fletcher actually looked like he was trying, but was still pretty terrible.

Rooney seemed to saunter and really not exert himself in anyway shape or form. Big risk, considering you can't just flick a switch and turn it on at an instant.

Typically lower league teams give you a burst of energy in the first 20 minutes, so fair enough if you want to slow that down and take the sting out. But we never stepped up after that. Would have felt it better to match them early and just go hard at them to get a few goals up, then coast the game.

Don't think we were in any real danger yesterday, but it looked a slack performance from certain individuals, Rooney being one in particular.

Falcao has looked more like Andy Carroll than Falcao for a lot of his time at United. His touch has been horrendous.
    It would be foolish to write him off completely though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

3-5-2 is used to get extra defensive players into the team and make up for the number of central attackers that have to be picked. It also makes it easier for the wing backs to go forward as they have back up behind them so United can still have width.

As a formation it can work well when Carrick is one of the defenders as he is good with possession. Generally it could be a successful formation with better players brought in at the back.

I expect that won't be a move United make though and will be trying to improve the options for Wide players, another MF, right back, to give the team more balance and move to four at the back on a regular basis.

DDG

---Raf
    Smalling----Rojo
    Shaw

Carrick

Di Maria
    Herrera

Rooney

RVP
    Falcao

Jones for Smalling
    Swop Di Maria with Herrera
    Mata where Rooney is.
    Drop RVP and put Rooney up front with Falcao.

That's probably the team I'd come up with. The persistence with Van Persie is starting to look a bit like favourtism. I think putting Rooney in midfield when there is a perfectly viable slot for him beside Falcao, or RVP, is freaking me out no end.

Rooney should be first choice striker, and then companied by either Falcao or Van Persie, whoever is in best form. At present, Falcao.

I don't find Rooney as intricate as Mata can be, and Mata is just as adept at coming in to find a goal.

Falcao has looked more like Andy Carroll than Falcao for a lot of his time at United. His touch has been horrendous.

The only thing holding me back from making my call now is that he is a global name and has a well deserved reputation for being a ruthless striker with an insane goal record.

But he has essentially missed half a season, and now has 4-5 months ( only league and FA cup games) to somehow show he is worth the money and worth a spot in the squad.

Falcao is a player you expect 20+ goals a season from. The very fact you have to adjust that tally because he missed the first half of the season, is a big part of the problem.

Really think he needs to bag atleast 15 goals to warrant the club sheding out the big money for him.

The team doesn't play to his strengths. The same reason RVP hasn't looked good the last year and a half and Wilson has failed to get on the score sheet with his time so far. It can't be a coincidence imo. He gets into the positions to make a run on defenders while off the ball but when the ball is played it either goes wide or stagnates. There's absolutely no reason why Falcao should ever get the ball in a position where he has to take more than 2 touches before he's in a position to shoot and yet he's picking it up 40 yards away from goal with his back to the defence. Just pure ridiculousness really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

DDG

---Raf
    Jones----Rojo
    Shaw

Carrick

Rooney
    Herrera

Mata

RVP
    Di Maria

I think we may see something like this over the next while. Don't agree with it myself.

The team doesn't play to his strengths. The same reason RVP hasn't looked good the last year and a half and Wilson has failed to get on the score sheet with his time so far. It can't be a coincidence imo. He gets into the positions to make a run on defenders while off the ball but when the ball is played it either goes wide or stagnates. There's absolutely no reason why Falcao should ever get the ball in a position where he has to take more than 2 touches before he's in a position to shoot and yet he's picking it up 40 yards away from goal with his back to the defence. Just pure ridiculousness really.

The chance creation frequency is absolutely shocking of late but it's no excuse for such heavy touches and just generally looking quite poor on the ball.
    He has shown flashes of what he's all about but not nearly enough, he's actually looking worse now than he was earlier in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lucas Hood wrote: »

DDG

---Raf
    Jones----Rojo
    Shaw

Carrick

Rooney
    Herrera

Mata

RVP
    Di Maria

I think we may see something like this over the next while. Don't agree with it myself.

well raf and shaw are currently injured so don't think we will be seeing that team, also di maria up front??!

The chance creation frequency is absolutely shocking of late but it's no excuse for such heavy touches and just generally looking quite poor on the ball.
    He has shown flashes of what he's all about but not nearly enough, he's actually looking worse now than he was earlier in the season.

It's because he's not a back to goal type of forward. His strengths are getting on the end of through balls and finising quickly. Something else I've noticed from when he gets subbed is that he may not have the best eyesight, maybe an irrelevancy but would be ridiculous to not be wearing contacts or something if that is the case.

bangkok wrote: »
    well raf and shaw are currently injured so don't think we will be seeing that team, also di maria up front??!

Yep he played there yesterday and against Arsenal. Van Gaal could have easily put Rooney up front when Di Maria came on but didn't so I'm reading into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Wouldn't mind Winston Reid on pre-contract.

• Advertisement

Agree about Wilson. I like him and think he will make it. Hes sorta getting thrown in the deep end now. Thats why I didn't like loaning out Chica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We were being outplayed completely against Southampton last time out if I remember correctly and LVG had to change the 3-5-2 after half an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Agree about Wilson. I like him and think he will make it. Hes sorta getting thrown in the deep end now. Thats why I didn't like loaning out Chica

I always have a chuckle to myself when I see people writing Chica for Chicarito. In certain Latin American countries 'chica' is slang for a lady's front bum..my missus gets a giggle when she see's it mentioned on here.

Sorry, slow day in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

ElChe32 wrote: »
    I always have a chuckle to myself when I see people writing Chica for Chicarito. In certain Latin American countries 'chica' is slang for a lady's front bum..my missus gets a giggle when she see's it mentioned on here.

Sorry, slow day in work.

Thinly veiled "I have a Brazilian girlfriend" post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sorry, slow day in work.

I certainly heard him being called a something something next Tuesday around Stamford bridge a time or two !

Sorry, slow day in work.
    I thought it meant "pea".....oh dear.

I thought it meant "pea".....oh dear.
    Chícharo is pea
    Chicharito is little pea.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Chícharo is pea
    Chicharito is little pea.

Ahhhh I see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I have a Brazilian girlfriend" post...

Close...Puerto Rican!

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    The only thing holding me back from making my call now is that he is a global name and has a well deserved reputation for being a ruthless striker with an insane goal record.

But he has essentially missed half a season, and now has 4-5 months ( only league and FA cup games) to somehow show he is worth the money and worth a spot in the squad.

Falcao is a player you expect 20+ goals a season from. The very fact you have to adjust that tally because he missed the first half of the season, is a big part of the problem.

Really think he needs to bag atleast 15 goals to warrant the club sheding out the big money for him.
    Whats holding me back on calling him a flop is that United are farily useless as a creative force.

There have only been a couple of chances that I feel he should of scored from that he didn't. For the most part we aren't creating chances for anyone.

He is brilliant at getting tackled though, I have noticed that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement