Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Read Mod Warning in OP 7/1/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jeez that was pretty dire stuff. We're absolutely blessed to have won that game. I remember with 5 minutes to go there was no urgency and the players just walking around and delaying throws ins. So much wrong with the team it's just not worth talking about at the moment. Really strange substitutions, Carrick in the last minute when we needed a goal? WTF is all that about.

Anyhow, it's another 3 points, tough fixtures coming up and the next few weeks will sort the men from the boys. Should make for great viewing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

lOOxLXS.jpg
    JLuj7Jn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There were clowns in here that wanted David Moyes replaced with Roberto Martinez last year. Plenty spoofers around alright.

keane2097 wrote: »
    There were clowns in here that wanted David Moyes replaced with Roberto Martinez last year. Plenty spoofers around alright.
    I must say I am really enjoying seeing Everton struggle this season.Martinez has undone all of Moyes good work just took him one season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Jeez that was pretty dire stuff. We're absolutely blessed to have won that game. I remember with 5 minutes to go there was no urgency and the players just walking around and delaying throws ins. So much wrong with the team it's just not worth talking about at the moment. Really strange substitutions, Carrick in the last minute when we needed a goal? WTF is all that about.

Anyhow, it's another 3 points, tough fixtures coming up and the next few weeks will sort the men from the boys. Should make for great viewing.

Ya dire altogether,we were dominated for start to finish, poor in possession, no shots on target, no clear cut chances and not playing 325 in the last 10 minutes joke when its level.

Special mention to Januzis pass to put rooney in space in a crowded box which resulted in a pull back to Herrea if we are going to be playing the possession game we will need more of that. Neat passes into the box in tight areas to create space around the box. Not doing it anywhere near enough

Might show a few lads here in can take a year to adapt to a managers way of thinking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

yabadabado wrote: »
    I must say I am really enjoying seeing Everton struggle this season.Martinez has undone all of Moyes good work just took him one season.
    Yep, Everton fans are getting exactly what they deserve ... their taunting of Moyes at United was disgusting after what he had done for that club over a decade... they had forgot it was Moyes who built Everton into an incredibly hard team to beat..

How they would take 4th, 5th or 6th now ... they lower they finish the better for me, they deserve everything they get this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

10 Games to go...amazingly we are just 11 points off the total we finished last season.

Spurs
    Liverpool
    Villa
    City
    Chelsea
    Everton
    West Brom
    Palace
    Arsenal
    Hull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If Sir Alex came back himself it would take minimum two years to fix the team again same with LVG now he needs time to shape the team.

Di Maria and Falcao are flops thus far, RVP is far too injury prone to last more than one more season at most, a lot of rebuilding is now required which will be hard for the fans as we could be left behind if teams like Chelsea City and Arsenal or even European teams get better players first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I would still take Barkley during the summer if he wasn't a ridiculous price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Smegball wrote: »
    I would still take Barkley during the summer if he wasn't a ridiculous price.

I dont know to be honest, seems to be lots of talk about our midfield but in my view our midfield is full of great players now, would rather see us strengthen the defence or bring in another striker (depends what happens with Falcao) before we spend a good bit of money on a new attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

B_SKsr1WkAEnHmX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I didn't think we were that bad tonight. Should have scored a couple first half and we fairly controlled the game. That was the first time in a while where I felt like we'd keep creating until we scored.

Our defence looked shaky as **** though. I do not like Smalling and Evans together as a partnership.

Also, Rooney needs to stay up top. If he gets a run of games, he gets some form together and starts scoring regularly.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I dont know to be honest, seems to be lots of talk about our midfield but in my view our midfield is full of great players now, would rather see us strengthen the defence or bring in another striker (depends what happens with Falcao) before we spend a good bit of money on a new attacking midfielder.

Yeah, a centre back is the main priority. I would also want another winger, a right back and a striker before Barkley.

But still, I think he could potentially be a super player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lOOxLXS.jpg
    JLuj7Jn.jpg
    Trond wrote: »
    B_SKsr1WkAEnHmX.jpg

What am I missing?

What am I missing?

Kruls assist to Young :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Krul is the keeper lvg brought on or penaltys in the summer and was hailed a tactical genius.

Krul passed the ball to young for the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Delighted to see The Everton doing so bad.

By accounts its their worst record after 28 games since 1926.

Lovely

What am I missing?

Krul made the mistake that won us the game. LVG his manager during the world cup.

I'd want a defensive midfielder, who is strong and good on the ball first for me.

• Advertisement

Tonight again proved to me why we have been so blunt going forward this season. Anytime this season we have pushed more men forward like we did at times tonight we looked extremely susceptible at the back. When the opposition attack my heart is in my mouth.

I know its been said so many times this season, but once the defence is improved the attack will improve IMO.

Night folks :)

1y7pP9g.jpg

Smegball wrote: »
    Yeah, a centre back is the main priority. I would also want another winger, a right back and a striker before Barkley.

But still, I think he could potentially be a super player.

LVG has already said a midfielder will be bought so that is an area that will be strengthened .
    A CB and RB are the priority imo and after those 3 positions are sorted I think LVG needs to look at a winger/striker with pace.Depay might be a good option there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 players join this summer with a similar amount leaving the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

For some reason, I really believe the team will start to click in the next few games against the bigger teams. I don't know why, but there is something about those games that makes me feel the players will step up and actually play football.

LVG has already said a midfielder will be bought so that is an area that will be strengthened .
    A CB and RB are the priority imo and after those 3 positions are sorted I think LVG needs to look at a winger/striker with pace.Depay might be a good option there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 5 players join this summer with a similar amount leaving the club.

I dont understand his logic about another midfielder, only way is if he sells some that are already there. If he sells Mata I'll be devastated ha!

No doubt he has a plan set up, I just hope not too much shuffling happens. In my view we have the quality necessary to compete (Better individuals than previous years) but need them all to start working together and playing well. I'm worried if too many players come and go during summer we might enter another transitional period. Hopefully not!

Mata will be sold IMO, its a shame I think.

The attacking players aren't making the runs for Mata to feed. Mata would thrive with some proper movement which has finally been shown by Rooney tonight.

I fear, Falcao could be the same. He could do excellently at another club with proper service. Although, I suspect the knee injury ruined him at the top level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Who would buy Mata and how much could we actually get for him? He's a luxury player but hopefully in 6 months we'll be able to accommodate a little luxury

For some reason, I really believe the team will start to click in the next few games against the bigger teams. I don't know why, but there is something about those games that makes me feel the players will step up and actually play football.

I think it will depend on how well our passing has improved while being pressed high its all well and good passing under no pressure but liverpool will press us high with intensity.

Arsenal game will be interesting because we play similar but thier forwards have been better this season.

Man City I hope they are as lazy as they have shown since xmas. if Yaya bothers his arse he could destroy us hopefully Pelegrini gets his team selection and tatics wrong again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

3 points and Wigan 2.0 lost. Wonderful Wednesday.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Who would buy Mata and how much could we actually get for him? He's a luxury player but hopefully in 6 months we'll be able to accommodate a little luxury

Sorry but luxury player is becoming a new buzzword and its mainly because he was sold by a Jose team who likes hard working strong players.
    All managers have blueprints of how they like thier team to setup up and certain players no matter how good (bar world class) wont fit the system.

LVG himself didnt want Riquelme at barca who went on to be a very important player at Villareal.

If a team was built around Mata he would show his talents as he has done previously but the type of player he is, hasnt suited his last 3 manangers but thats not to say he is either a bad player or a "luxury player"

Looking forward to Arsenal game.

I expect a big performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yep, Everton fans are getting exactly what they deserve ... their taunting of Moyes at United was disgusting after what he had done for that club over a decade... they had forgot it was Moyes who built Everton into an incredibly hard team to beat..

How they would take 4th, 5th or 6th now ... they lower they finish the better for me, they deserve everything they get this season.

You could come to regret that statement if Everton win the Europa League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I wouldn't be surprised If di-Maria was sold to PSG in the Summer and along with him I expect, Mata, Herrera, Rafael Falcoa and either jones or Evans all to leave the club. Of all those players I'd love to keep Mata, if he was playing as a number 10 behind Rooney with pacey attackers like Robben, Sanchez or Bale he would show his true class. I think blind will compete with carrick for the holding role for the time being but I feel LVG wants a more dominant force in midfield to be the all rounder instead of Herrera, Strootman,Vidal or Schweinstegger would be his choices I reckon, for defence I think Clyne will be signed as our new right back and we will also sign a new Centre back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

"Maybe our best match of the season"-Lvg

Is he sane? Seriously. Ok Utd could have scored 2/3 goals but so could have Newcastle. 2 great saves from DDG and a blatant 100% peno.

United played well enough to win the 3 points.

Better team won. Not best performance of season but it sure ain't as bad as some are suggesting.

The last 2 games have seen a improvement in performance. That has to be welcomed.

Given the choice would you guys take 4th but lose to Liverpool in the cup final?

I think we will beat spurs in the next league match, I also think Chelsea will beat Southampton which should see them out of the race, unfortunately I also can see Liverpool winning away to Swansea

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

Given the choice would you guys take 4th but lose to Liverpool in the cup final?

I'd rather we come fourth and lose to liverpool.

On the subject of ins and outs, I'd really hate to see Raf or Mata leave.

Even tonight, for example, I feel the two of them in the starting eleven would improve our game significantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Yes for me. Have to be thinking about the bigger picture imo. Champions lg qualification is a must this season. Doesnt alot of money from Adidas deal depend on it also?

Delighted with and for Fellaini this season, that's all for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Evans was easily United's best player tonight. De Gea was good but it was Evans who had to deal with Smalling's absenteeism which was apparent a good few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

stankratz wrote: »
    Delighted with and for Fellaini this season, that's all for now.

Same here, been undisputedly one of the best outfield players this season. Worth keeping for sure.

Yes for me. Have to be thinking about the bigger picture imo. Champions lg qualification is a must this season. Doesnt alot of money from Adidas deal depend on it also?

Only if we don't qualify for the champions league by the end of next season, it will be reduced somewhat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If your going by last Season then yeh Martinez would have been better than Moyes......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If your going by last Season then yeh Martinez would have been better than Moyes......

Shame about every single other moment they've been managers and Martinez not having Moyes' defenders. Though I do regard Martinez as a decent manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

LVG definitely does seem to reckon we're getting closer to what he wants which is good and the performances, while still not great at times, are improving. Hopefully the ramp in difficulty will bring the best out of us, after all, a few of his sides had a big "coming out" performance where things just clicked against top quality opposition (Spain 1 Holland 5, Bayern knocking us out a few years back)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

One very worrying thing about Yesterday's game was how Rojo lost almost all aerial battles against Obertan, it's Obertan for crying out load, lad who couldn't even run properly at ManUtd. He is so weak in the air but still won most of the headers against Rojo (haven't seen stats, just going by what I remember).

Also we lost almost all the aerial battles and 50-50 balls. At one point Herrera didn't even bother for header. Hopefully Blind adds some muscle this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Also God I hope we beat **** out of Arsenal at Old Trafford on Monday. I don't mind 2-3 **** performances if we get 3 points in league but I hope we stuff Arsenal in the cup. Not sure why but I just hate them (or for the PC brigade I dislike them).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Id expect to to see the following leave n the summer
    Rafael, Evans, Mata and Falcao. Possibly Di Maria as well.
    Who he will bring in is anyones guess but Id like to see Clyne, one from Godin, Garay or Varnane for centre half, Javi Martinez and Harry Kane.
    If Di Maria goes it will more than likely be to PSG. Would like to see Lucas Moura come in as part of any deal.
    A lot will depend on whether we get CL football which is 50-50 considering our up coming games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If a team was built around Mata he would show his talents as he has done previously but the type of player he is, hasnt suited his last 3 manangers but thats not to say he is either a bad player or a "luxury player"

A player has to earn the right to to have the team built around him, it would be poor management to build a team around a player that has never performed to a world class level for your club. Why? Because you would be completely screwed if you did build the team around him and then found that he still didn't perform.

We keep having to make excuses for Mata, that he needs to be in certain systems and he needs this and needs that. We shouldn't have to do that, the real top quality players will perform even in bad situations. We can't keep saying that he just hasn't suited the last three managers as if that is no big deal, at some point we have to accept that he simply hasn't done it for the club.

If Juan Mata wants the team built around him then he should stand up and earn it, start winning us matches and start performing at the highest level consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Robson99 wrote: »
    Id expect to to see the following leave n the summer
    Rafael, Evans, Mata and Falcao. Possibly Di Maria as well.
    Who he will bring in is anyones guess but Id like to see Clyne, one from Godin, Garay or Varnane for centre half, Javi Martinez and Harry Kane.
    If Di Maria goes it will more than likely be to PSG. Would like to see Lucas Moura come in as part of any deal.
    A lot will depend on whether we get CL football which is 50-50 considering our up coming games

Do you want to pay 70m? Cause Levy is going to want 70m. :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement