Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Read Mod Warning in OP 7/1/15

1191192193194195197»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

One of the great misconceptions about Fellaini is that he is just a bumbling oaf.

He is very good technically with the ball at his feet. There was an incident in the first half were he spun away from one man and beat 3 others by jinking away from them with nice control.

His skill set is so unique and a fantastic asset for any team to have. Has great control and is massive so won't be pushed off the ball like mata.

I love see him putting in his strong tackles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Ogdon has actually wrote a story headlining "Giggs loosing faith in Van Gaal philosophy?" after the altercation between the two....

Fella is totally in the wilderness now with United...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

bangkok wrote: »
    spitting offence was a 3 game ban, but after last season the FA doubled the punishment to 6 games. The both of them will get at least 4-5 games imo

I think Evans will get 6, Cisse 7 (previous ban will get him first one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

if we have any aspirations of winning the league or doing well in the champions league next season, fellaini should not be in the starting 11.

Other than the fact he's been the best outfield player on the 4th best team in the league this season? He makes more of a difference than Herrera and always seems cool and collected on the ball and when it's played to him. Him not being put straight back in after his injury cost United a lot of points imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

unplayable wrote: »
    if utd win monday nite against arsenal the chelsea away game will be rescheduled due to cup semi final.

if chelsea are in champions league semi final the only date that works in the 20th of may. 3 days before last game of season away to hull and 3 days after arsenal game.

that will just be massive!!!

That could even work out in Utd's favour. It's possible Chelsea might have the title won by that point and might be a little easier to get a result against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ogdon has actually wrote a story headlining "Giggs loosing faith in Van Gaal philosophy?" after the altercation between the two....

Fella is totally in the wilderness now with United...

His articles are terrible and he doesn't even have a proper source once Moyes was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Liam O wrote: »
    Other than the fact he's been the best outfield player on the 4th best team in the league this season? He makes more of a difference than Herrera and always seems cool and collected on the ball and when it's played to him. Him not being put straight back in after his injury cost United a lot of points imo.

like I said, if we want to win the league he shouldn't be on the starting 11.

4th best team in a season that will probably go down as one of the worst premier league seasons of recent times, quality of play, ref decisions, diving, technical ability probably at an all time low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

One of the great misconceptions about Fellaini is that he is just a bumbling oaf.

He is very good technically with the ball at his feet. There was an incident in the first half were he spun away from one man and beat 3 others by jinking away from them with nice control.

His skill set is so unique and a fantastic asset for any team to have. Has great control and is massive so won't be pushed off the ball like mata.

I love see him putting in his strong tackles

It annoys me that he seems to get a hard time from refs because of his size and strength. Sure, he goes in too hard or lets his elbows flail from time to time, but a lot of very soft fouls are given against him that I don't think would be given against a smaller player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just saw the Newcastle penalty shout there.

I'm not into some trolling idea of justice or anything. You won - move on.

But Jesus, what an AWFUL attempt at a tackle from the defender. What te he'll was he at?

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    His articles are terrible and he doesn't even have a proper source once Moyes was gone.

Yeah I know it's so weird, him and Jackson writing epicly speculative articles this season that just make no sense and have pretend sources. Such a dramatic change from their accurate, and good reporting, last season.

gosplan wrote: »

But Jesus, what an AWFUL attempt at a tackle from the defender. What te he'll was he at?
    That's Smalling for you, easily the worst defender that gets game time. He's never in position and is clumsy both tackling and with the ball.

Trying to swing his leg around to get the full block, striker was quick and took the touch needed to evade the tackle. Was a stonewall penalty in fairness, but it wasn't "shocking "defending as someone are making out. 8/10 Smalling gets contact on the ball, the striker goes hurdling over his leg, and Smalling strolls out of defence with it no problems.

Two REALLY poor decisions that game, to continue the recent run of horrendous refereeing in the league.

Lack of technology aid at this point is simply gross negligence. Within five seconds of the incident we all knew it was a penalty.

Another five seconds and we see Rooney onside.

These arn't piddly arse decisions over a throw or a foul on the half way line, these are goal scoring incidents that totally change the tide of games.

Even more amazing are the dinosaurs who give it large about " technology would ruin it, football is about having the craic and debates". Cause I really enjoy talking with my mates about a ****bag referee....

like I said, if we want to win the league he shouldn't be on the starting 11.

4th best team in a season that will probably go down as one of the worst premier league seasons of recent times, quality of play, ref decisions, diving, technical ability probably at an all time low

The quality was far less the last time United won the league. The quality of the league is a sweeping term that I hate but every team now is far stronger than 2 or 3 years ago where players who are in relegation teams now would have been in mid tabl. teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yeah I know it's so weird, him and Jackson writing epicly speculative articles this season that just make no sense and have pretend sources. Such a dramatic change from their accurate, and good reporting, last season.

I imagine a big part of this is down to LVG telling the media to p1ss off and making it clear to staff that any leaks are unacceptable.

He doesn't like the media at all. His rant on them in the post match interview on BT last night was gold.

That's Smalling for you, easily the worst defender that gets game time. He's never in position and is clumsy both tackling and with the ball.

Behind Rojo he has been out best centre half since the turn of the year.

Van Gaal clearly has issues with Shaw, and I'm not surprised, he seriously flatters to deceive.

I'm imagine for the upcoming tough run Carrick will be playing in DM, Blind LB and Rojo in CB with Smalling.

Early days for Shaw but has definitely being a disappointment. Glimmers here and there of good stuff, but his pace seems to be covering up his defensive lapses that hopefully get sorted as he grows with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

keane2097 wrote: »
    Someone had a website a while ago where you put in what points you think teams will get in their remaining fixtures - anyone have a link to it?
    Someone posted this one a few days ago.

City game aside, I think he's been ok. You're being overly harsh on him imo.

I imagine a big part of this is down to LVG telling the media to p1ss off and making it clear to staff that any leaks are unacceptable.

He doesn't like the media at all. His rant on them in the post match interview on BT last night was gold.

Yeah thats exactly what happened. Ogdon and a few lads had direct communication with both Moyes and Woodward. One of Van Gaals first things was to let management at the club know that the co operation with the media from the previous regime is totally unacceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Behind Rojo he has been out best centre half since the turn of the year.

Van Gaal clearly has issues with Shaw, and I'm not surprised, he seriously flatters to deceive.

I'm imagine for the upcoming tough run Carrick will be playing in DM, Blind LB and Rojo in CB with Smalling.

Early days for Shaw but has definitely being a disappointment. Glimmers here and there of good stuff, but his pace seems to be covering up his defensive lapses that hopefully get sorted as he grows with experience.

shaw was the best left back in England last season, playing in a better team this year and better surroundings he should be improving but looks like he has gone backwards. Cannot be helped by uniteds lack of free flowing football, not many forward passes, more side to side, cant be really helping the attacking full back.

Miles better than Evans and also our best CB with Rojo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Al Capwned wrote: »

You can select just what clubs fixtures you want to predict too - i picked current top 8, and came up with this.
    Where do I pay? I'd have it in a heartbeat, though I may have been a bit optimistic....

6c780c676ae666c1d08f4095afe6095b.png

• Advertisement

Someone posted this one a few days ago.

City game aside, I think he's been ok. You're being overly harsh on him imo.
    I think his lack of positioning is responsible for the gaping hole in the middle of the defense when the team lose the ball and drags everyone down as the team are so imbalanced then afterwards so yeah I'm going to be harsh on him, it's things that are harder to see that he is the worst at.

As for Shaw, I think he's looked good most times I've seen him play this season. Don't think he suits a diamond midfield formation but with a winger ahead of him I think he shines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We need Swansea to get a draw and us to beat Spurs, Liverpool have all the momentum and can see them scoring a few against us, a different animal to the one that wasted chance after chance at OT, at least they'll still be behind if they beat us then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It was mistimed, by a fraction of a second. It happens to pretty much all defenders at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Smalling has improved in the last few games, he's still pants mind, but he has gotten better.

Trying to swing his leg around to get the full block, striker was quick and took the touch needed to evade the tackle. Was a stonewall penalty in fairness, but it wasn't "shocking "defending as someone are making out. 8/10 Smalling gets contact on the ball, the striker goes hurdling over his leg, and Smalling strolls out of defence with it no problems.

Every mistimed tackle in the box can be categorized as "awful attempt". It's a common mistimed tackle. We have seen Kos (just an example) making these awful tackles lot of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Our manager deserves lot of credit for Fellaini.

He showed great belief in him when others would have made him a scapegoat.

Don't know if I disagree, but the term "great belief" doesn't seem appropriate when the manager has only started Felliani in 2 league games this year. Our £27.5m midfielder is hardly a regular under LVG, which is surprising when you consider his performances and that we previously had Rooney playing in midfield.

kryogen wrote: »
    It was mistimed, by a fraction of a second. It happens to pretty much all defenders at some point.

But that point goes against the agenda or whatever, that ManUtd defense is pants even though we have conceded fewer goals than Arsenal and Liverpool.

But that point goes against the agenda or whatever, that ManUtd defense is pants even though we have conceded fewer goals than Arsenal and Liverpool.

Yeah but in fairness, the team is set up to defend through possession. Most likely because the defense is pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You can select just what clubs fixtures you want to predict too - i picked current top 8, and came up with this.
    Where do I pay? I'd have it in a heartbeat, though I may have been a bit optimistic....

My current prediction has us to finish 3 points ahead of Liverpool iirc but certainly not as high a points total, think I had us down for 72 points max

Yeah but in fairness, the team is set up to defend through possession. Most likely because the defense is pants.

If the defense was great we wouldn't have played slow possession game? I don't think so.

• Advertisement

I got the following:
    Chelsea	        38	35	91
    Man City          38	32	83
    Man Utd	        38	21	76
    Arsenal	        38	23	75
    Liverpool	38	12	73
    Southampton	38	19	65
    Tottenham	38	6	63

I didn't think I was being too optimistic but quite clearly I was. :eek:

If the defense was great we wouldn't have played slow possession game? I don't think so.

I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My current prediction has us to finish 3 points ahead of Liverpool iirc but certainly not as high a points total, think I had us down for 72 points max

I have Arsenal clear in 3rd, with United pipping Liverpool on Goal difference to 4th.

I thought doing the prediction Untied would have lost out by 2 or 3 points easy to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Out of interest what result did you stick in for the away game at Liverpool?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

We're nearing 10000 posts, so I'm going to knock off this thread now and open the new one :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement