Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Read Mod Warning in OP 7/1/15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

All of a sudden our brutal defence has only conceeded 2 more than chelsea's rock solid back line.

stats and reality though are too different things. the stats show that we have only 1 goal more conceded than City and Chelsea, who lie in joint second in terms of goals conceded, however we are defensively worlds apart from them.

what ever about goals conceded, the nervousness and uncertainty that our poor defence brings us is costing us points - it unsettles the rest of the team and gives confidence to the opposition - they know if they sit back and soak up pressure, the likelyhood is that they can get at least a draw because they will always get chances. Jones and Evans cannot pass the ball and keep giving it away, as well as making mistake after mistake, Carrick & Blind have to sit really deep, Rooney is dropping back, our width is suffering - it all adds up.

we were haunted against Southampton, Arsenal and Stoke at home, yet won all 3 games, conceding only 2.

we kept a clean sheet against Liverpool, but should have conceded 4 or 5.

its only due to the grace of god and David De Gea that we have only conceded 20 goals, he has been one of the stand out players in the entire league and that in itself speaks volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Quandary wrote: »
    Today was disappointing but we're sitting 9 points off the top of the league with our big players on the way back from injury. I know some people might point out we should be closer to the top considering the games we threw away but we've also had a few fortunate results too (Arsenal, Southampton).. ....

A win against Southampton at Old Trafford Sunday week is an absolute must for us. It will put us 6 points clear of them.

Agree completely, United deserve to be third and can't be cursing luck.

Most recently we got lucky in two away games, unlucky in two more and deserved, at most, a draw against stoke. If United finish third I will be delighted with the progression from last year and hope that defensive weaknesses can be addressed in the summer.

Southampton game massive now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

It's funny how the joke from last season is that Southampton are our mid table rivals.

Funny how next week is a fairly big game now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bit disappointed but had you told me we go unbeaten in last 10 games winning 7 and drawing 3 I think 95% of us would have taken that.

Not a great performance today. Young injury might be blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Bit disappointed but had you told me we go unbeaten in last 10 games winning 7 and drawing 3 I think 95% of us would have taken that.

Why would the injury be a blessing out of curiosity

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »

Well one less option on wing might revert back to 4 at back.

It "might" happen, but reckon it might also be wishful thinking.

Just think its not working.

not sure if its already been discussed, but how poor was Adnan today?

the lad is way out of his depth this season.

Hococop wrote: »

i guess he means it would force LVG into playing Shaw and Rafael a bit more or at least see a return to a flat back 4.

Not sure why it's a blessing. As critical as I have been on young over the last year credit comes where credit is due and Young has been a great performer in the last 10+ games for us. He will be missed IMO and it looked like a nasty injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

not sure if its already been discussed, but how poor was Adnan today?

the lad is way out of his depth this season.

i guess he means it would force LVG into playing Shaw and Rafael a bit more or at least see a return to a flat back 4.

Yeah, Januzaj needs a loan. Clearly a decent prospect but looks short on confidence.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not sure why it's a blessing. As critical as I have been on young over the last year credit comes where credit is due and Young has been a great performer in the last 10+ games for us. He will be missed IMO and it looked like a nasty injury.

Well personally the 3 at back is not working.

Depending how long he is out for maybe reverting back to 4 will imo give us a better shape and balance.

I agree Young has played well(ish). The team is bigger then 1 player though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Young injury a blessing? No TV signal this Christmas?

Well personally the 3 at back is not working.

Depending how long he is out for maybe reverting back to 4 will imo give us a better shape and balance.

I agree Young has played well(ish). The team is bigger then 1 player though.

And I can see your point but no reason to be happy for him to be injured.

I also have been critical of the 3 at the back bull****, but I can still see young easily playing well in a 4-4-2 on the left IMO

And I can see your point but no reason to be happy for him to be injured.

I also have been critical of the 3 at the back bull****, but I can still see young easily playing well in a 4-4-2 on the left IMO

Not happy to see any player get injured, but might just give LVG food for thought. Maybe.

I just want clarify I'm not happy to see Young get injured.

Want make that really clear. I mean "Blessing" in somthing for LVG to think about way, rather then a I'm delighted to see back of Young way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

If young being injured means raf in the rb role then that's good.

to my mind it isnt 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 at least not flat 4-4-2, we'd probably go diamond 4-4-2 or 4-3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

Yeah, Januzaj needs a loan. Clearly a decent prospect but looks short on confidence.

Without question that's what's needed with him, he's still young plenty of time for him to develop,

As for young today he has been playing well for us , but he was playing the right wing back position today isn't he a left winger? As I've said in another thread I do not like this formation , if we are looking to play down the wings then but two wingers on either falcao or rvp up front and Rooney slotted in behind the striker.
    Leaving a straight 4 back line with two central midfielders,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It won't make a difference because Shaw is back and will play there instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

6 points dropped in the last 4 games. Hasn't been a great festive period, all against very average teams,very disappointed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I just want clarify I'm not happy to see Young get injured.

Want make that really clear. I mean "Blessing" in somthing for LVG to think about way, rather then a I'm delighted to see back of Young way.

No worries at all, I can see what you mean if you read the post again.
    But Young will still be missed. I have been really impressed with him and felt really sorry for him the way he pulled up with what looked like a nasty hamstring injury.

I'm crossing my fingers Di Maria is fit again, the injury crisis is madness.
    One player back and two players out consistently, and no matter how many rival fans say this that and the other about United this season we have been so so unlucky with our injury's and the fact we are in third at this stage with the situation we are in is great.

No worries at all, I can see what you mean if you read the post again.
    But Young will still be missed. I have been really impressed with him and felt really sorry for him the way he pulled up with what looked like a nasty hamstring injury.

I'm crossing my fingers Di Maria is fit again, the injury crisis is madness.
    One player back and two players out consistently, and no matter how many rival fans say this that and the other about United this season we have been so so unlucky with our injury's and the fact we are in third at this stage with the situation we are in is great.

In fairness Young been one of better players for past few weeks.

A fresh Dill Maria will be most welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

glued wrote: »
    Van Gaal needs to stop playing three at the back. It isn't working
    Well one less option on wing might revert back to 4 at back.

It "might" happen, but reckon it might also be wishful thinking.

Just think its not working.

It's only been a week since Van Gaal said the only reason he's playing 3 at the back is because he's forced to due to not having any fit FB's. It's not wishful thinking at all, when we have fit full backs he has played 4 at the back.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Dec/louis-van-gaal-reveals-why-he-plays-three-man-defence-tactic.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

We seem to be getting very lucky these days. Whenever results don't go our way,other teams around us mess up as well and in the end theres not too much damage done to us.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

We seem to be getting very lucky these days. Whenever results don't go our way,other teams around us mess up as well and in the end theres not too much damage done to us.:D

It's annoying in a way! If we won a few of those away games instead of drawing we'd be a couple points off the top :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

nuxxx wrote: »
    It's annoying in a way! If we won a few of those away games instead of drawing we'd be a couple points off the top :o

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts.... then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

The last couple of game's I've watched I've noticed that when the 3 defenders get the ball there doesn't seem to be any of the midfielders dropping back to make themselves available to take the ball off them. They are finding it difficult enough to defend properly without trying to create openings furthur up the field.

Dont like the 3 at the back at all, hopefully when some players get back fit they'll revert back to a flat back four with Carrick just in front of them. Seems to be a huge gap between defence and midfield at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Looking at the lampard transfer extension I wonder will city face any repercussions over it like a transfer ban as its now made obvious this was a loophole to avoid ffp or is it because they found a loophole the can't be punished?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Having three at the back means they should be involved in bringing the ball out, Carrick and McNair did it.

Smalling was needed back there today for height more than anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

We desperately need 2 CBs but besides raiding Dortmund. There's not a great selection of CB"s we could get. Really poor selection out there

The era of great attackers over shadow defending at the moment

that gerrard thread has serious potential, i think its best a few of us stay out of it.....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    6 points dropped in the last 4 games. Hasn't been a great festive period, all against very average teams,very disappointed.

They haven't been against average teams. Villa was the only disappointing result. Spurs just smashed Chelsea and Stoke have beaten Arsenal this season. We have done ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

that gerrard thread has serious potential, i think its best a few of us stay out of it.....:pac:

I'd say it will be tame enough, nothing like the Giggs retirement one anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

When are Blind and Rojo due back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Missed the game today. Just caught the highlights.

Shocking defending again today.

Evans really should still not be anything more than 5th choice CB behind even McNair and Blackett. Use him for micky mouse cup games and a sub option when we have the game won already. He really is awful.

For a guy who's had many years of experience playing at the top level he really should be better.

Jones and Smalling aren't much better.

We're probably going to have to wait until the summer to get 2 good CB's in if we're lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

What a joke of a captain. Their team struggling and here he is announcing a luctrative big money move away to the MLS.. etc etc etc.

Enough them got the digs in at Giggsy and Vida :pac:

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Enough them got the digs in at Vida :pac:

Ha, it's funny how things turn completely on their head in such a short space of time. United were terrible for letting him have the captaincy last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Got deleted on the stevie g thread so I'll say it here. I started the giggs thread when he was finishing last season and not one carded post across 6 pages of trolling about his personal life and other stuff, already a few cards in the stevie g one.

Justice?

At least Giggs didn't cost us a League title.:cool:

How about you turn on your sig and start posting in it :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Got deleted on the stevie g thread so I'll say it here. I started the giggs thread when he was finishing last season and not one carded post across 6 pages of trolling about his personal life and other stuff, already a few cards in the stevie g one.

Justice?

Shouldn't be tolerated in either thread tbh. Schoolboy stuff from both sides unfortunately. Hopefully it quietens down, the Giggs thread stuff was not on and would be a shame to ruin another one for petty rivalry reasons.

8-10 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be tolerated in either thread tbh. Schoolboy stuff from both sides unfortunately. Hopefully it quietens down, the Giggs thread stuff was not on and would be a shame to ruin another one for petty rivalry reasons.

I'm not saying it's right, but we got it in the nose pretty much all of last season and into some of the summer. Wasn't a tap done about the huge amount of trolling that was going on.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying it's right, but we got it in the nose pretty much all of last season and into some of the summer. Wasn't a tap done about the huge amount of trolling that was going on.

Meh, makes for hilarious comeuppances this season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What exactly are you complaining about with regards to Giggs? It would be impossible to discuss his career while ignoring the most unreal off pitch scandal involving a world class footballer. Most of those posting about it acknowledged his greatness on the pitch. A John Terry retirement thread would be the same.

Some small thinking there imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What exactly are you complaining about with regards to Giggs? It would be impossible to discuss his career while ignoring the most unreal off pitch scandal involving a world class footballer. Most of those posting about it acknowledged his greatness on the pitch. A John Terry retirement thread would be the same.

I think it was more the posts using it to put him down in his retirement thread rather than a discussion point of his career. John Terry's thread probably will be the worst of the lot alright!

I had to bloody go searching for the Giggs thread to see what the fuss was about.

Turns out a post early on by a Utd fan actually helped derail the thread.

Jaysus lads do bad mouthing one of your players really hurt so much that revenge is needed?

I say that as someone who had a decent word to say about Giggs in that thread

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Where was the high horse when half the pool superthread were wandering into anything to do with utd last season gloating?

Voice of reason alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Where was the high horse when half the pool superthread were wandering into anything to do with utd last season gloating?

At least the whole experience hasn't left you feeling bitter...

Bridge93 wrote: »
    At least the whole experience hasn't left you feeling bitter...

Frustrated != bitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Bitter seems to be everyones favorite word when you make a post they dont like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The above doesn't address the post you quoted imo.

However, if you wish to talk about a different topic: I haven't complained about the reverse and haven't gone lobbying the mod team for rule changes because my team is perforning relatively poorly. I never report posts either. If you can give it you can take it imo.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, today's post of the day is a good one courtesy of a now ex-poster in the LFC thread!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement