Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of Advice Please...

• 01-01-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hello,

I am looking to get set up with home sound system. I will be primarily using this system to play music, gaming and watching films - in that order.

I am looking for a system which I can connect my HD to to play films/music from and also connect my laptop to play music directly from (Laptop does not have a HDMI port btw)

I would also like a system which has a subwoofer that creates bass which I can actually feel!

From what I can gather, a HTiB separates are the way to go.

So I have been looking on Amazon and have come across the following which I would love some opinions on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-Channel-Home-Theatre-System/dp/B00LW5WKC8/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_2 - thoughts on Yamaha?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-HTP-073-Channel-Receiver-Speaker/dp/B00DUWSIXQ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_3

I should also mention, I would like to keep it under €300 at all if possible. I know this might be stretch to get a decent sound system at that price but any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Hello,

I am looking to get set up with home sound system. I will be primarily using this system to play music, gaming and watching films - in that order.

I am looking for a system which I can connect my HD to to play films/music from and also connect my laptop to play music directly from (Laptop does not have a HDMI port btw)

I would also like a system which has a subwoofer that creates bass which I can actually feel!

From what I can gather, a HTiB separates are the way to go.

So I have been looking on Amazon and have come across the following which I would love some opinions on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-Channel-Home-Theatre-System/dp/B00LW5WKC8/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_2 - thoughts on Yamaha?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-HTP-073-Channel-Receiver-Speaker/dp/B00DUWSIXQ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_3

I should also mention, I would like to keep it under €300 at all if possible. I know this might be stretch to get a decent sound system at that price but any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

From personal experience yamahas are nearly bullet proof, even on the entry level side. Neither have media playback or network but a chrome cast or raspberry pi would fix that. Of the two the Yamaha ( don't like pioneer's build quality) but it boils down to what amazon ship to Ireland.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

akaSol wrote: »
    From personal experience yamahas are nearly bullet proof, even on the entry level side. Neither have media playback or network but a chrome cast or raspberry pi would fix that. Of the two the Yamaha ( don't like pioneer's build quality) but it boils down to what amazon ship to Ireland.

>Sol

Thanks for the reply Sol.

To be honest I was leaning more towards the Yamaha. I'm just hoping the speakers and sub supplier with it will be of decent quality and not some cheap speakers thrown together to make up the bundle. (I know people will recommend building the system yourself using book shelf speakers and go from there although that can get pretty expensive. As this is my first system I would be happy to buy it in a bundle as long as the sound produced is reasonably acceptable and look into building my own system later down the line).

I'm not too worried about the media playback side of things as I have a media player which I can connect via HDMI to the receiver.

Not a lot of reviews online about the Yamaha so I might just have to take a punt on it!

I appreciate the feedback.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Thanks for the reply Sol.

To be honest I was leaning more towards the Yamaha. I'm just hoping the speakers and sub supplier with it will be of decent quality and not some cheap speakers thrown together to make up the bundle. (I know people will recommend building the system yourself using book shelf speakers and go from there although that can get pretty expensive. As this is my first system I would be happy to buy it in a bundle as long as the sound produced is reasonably acceptable and look into building my own system later down the line).

I'm not too worried about the media playback side of things as I have a media player which I can connect via HDMI to the receiver.

Not a lot of reviews online about the Yamaha so I might just have to take a punt on it!

I appreciate the feedback.:)

No worries.
    They are yamaha's own speakers on the system. Reasonable sub 50/100w while the center is thankfully larger so better vocals. On the long term you could replace the speakers with bookshelfs ( Q Acoustic etc)

>Sol

Advertisement