Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WP Battery Tile

• 01-01-2015 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭

I use the battery app by semenov to have a battery tile on my WP. (L520 on DevPrev Cyan and 8.1)

It has the obvious limitation that tiles can't update that often. But it was useful as the tile goes red as the battery goes low and you get a % reading. But since the last update the update rate has got a lot worse. So its not that useful.

What are you using on your windows phone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

beauf wrote: »
    I use the battery app by semenov to have a battery tile on my WP. (L520 on DevPrev Cyan and 8.1)

It has the obvious limitation that tiles can't update that often. But it was useful as the tile goes red as the battery goes low and you get a % reading. But since the last update the update rate has got a lot worse. So its not that useful.

What are you using on your windows phone?

I'm using the same battery app by semenov on my Lumia 625 (8.1.1 Cyan on Dev Preview) and have noticed too that sometimes the battery level on the live tile doesn't match up with the battery level displayed in the Action Center.

When I tap on the tile to open the app, then it updates to the same level as the Action Center displays. None of the other battery apps I've tried though have been any different, so it may be a limitation caused by WP itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Theres always been a limitation on 3rd part apps how often then can update the live tile. One of the major flaws in WP in my opinion. But on the flip side that why its so fast. It used to work ok -ish.

It just seems to have got a lot worse than usual with the most recent update.

Pity because its a great app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

beauf wrote: »
    Theres always been a limitation on 3rd part apps how often then can update the live tile. One of the major flaws in WP in my opinion. But on the flip side that why its so fast. It used to work ok -ish.

It just seems to have got a lot worse than usual with the most recent update.

Pity because its a great app.

Try pinning the official Battery Saver app, it should match the built-in battery levels.

As for 3rd party apps, in the 7.x and 8.0 you could only update your tile every 30 mins due to battery concerns. That method still exists in 8.1, but you can also update a tile based on a user action eg. phone is unlocked. Most battery and clock tile apps for 8.1 use this method.

I'd use the Battery Saver app to keep an eye these types of apps as the methods I mentioned are open to abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Great tip with the official Battery Saver app I didn't know it could do that. Cheers.

Out of curiosity have you found a countdown timer with alarm that works properly. None of the one I've tried work. Once they go into the background they stop working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

BostonB wrote: »
    Great tip with the official Battery Saver app I didn't know it could do that. Cheers.

Out of curiosity have you found a countdown timer with alarm that works properly. None of the one I've tried work. Once they go into the background they stop working.

Have you tried this one? Works fine for me.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=fc72e2f9-d28c-44a2-b0a1-08dc775b3ddd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Yeah. Doesn't work for me. Set a countdown timer for 10 mins. Alarm doesn't go off unless I go back into the app. No matter when that is. Could be an hour later only once the app is opened does the alarm go off.

have the same problem with all timers on the WP. The inbuilt alarms work. Nothing else.

Advertisement