Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data

Options
  • 01-01-2015 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

This is my annual New Years Day present!

Last year I powered on my computer after a week away, worked for a few hours and shut the machine down. It took a lot longer than usual to shut down. And later when I went to power it up I got the following error:

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data

It took me ages to get it fixed - in the end I had to re-install the OS.

And now today, after a week away, I'm getting the exact same problem!

Any ideas out there as to what might be going on? I really don't want to go installing the OS again, and it's bloody bizarre that this has happened again at the exact same time in the exact same set of circumstances.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Okay, I think I might have found the problem.

I replaced my old HDD with an SSD the year before last. It looks like the installation finds the old bootable HDD and used its boot master to setup/use the SSD. Don't know why it does this at the start of the year. Maybe there's something there.

Anyway, I unplugged all my HDD's except the SSD and ran the repair disc on that. It worked.

I haven't re atttached the old HDD's yet, but I'll post on how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

The PC runs with all HDD's attached, except the original OS HDD. If I attach that one then the PC hangs on startup. Think I'll just bin that HDD and save me the same trouble this time next year!

Advertisement