Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable Phone Power Banks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Thargor wrote: »
    Hi, anyone seen any decent bargains for portable power banks lately? Doesnt have to be massive just a couple of charges when out and about overnight, thinking of going for this Xaoimi one if nobody has any better suggestions:

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-5v-2a-10400mah-power-bank-for-smartphone-tablet_p/meri8548.htm

I saw one's in Aldi's before christmas in the display window, also for sale for €10-€20 in the €uro stores also.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

I've seen Energizer portable power banks online for around €40. They are supposed to be reusable up to 1000 times.

I bought a cheap Pebble one for € 18. Waste of money. After the first use, it only gave me 33% charge. After second use, it wouldn't recharge my battery at all. This is after 6 hours of "recharging" the power bank itself!

It's put me off buying a more expensive model tbh, think I will stick to the standard car charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Gilma2010 wrote: »
    I've seen Energizer portable power banks online for around €40. They are supposed to be reusable up to 1000 times.

I bought a cheap Pebble one for € 18. Waste of money. After the first use, it only gave me 33% charge. After second use, it wouldn't recharge my battery at all. This is after 6 hours of "recharging" the power bank itself!

It's put me off buying a more expensive model tbh, think I will stick to the standard car charger.

There's another recent thread about these and I bought one of the suggestions, it was about £18 on amazon. It's a little heavy but had it with me yesterday on a day trip abroad and it was a lifesaver. Full charge and still plenty of power left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

7 euro on grabone right now, they give 60% on 1phone 4 s , great in a pinch...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

I got one for €3.99 in mr price, on it I get about a 50% charge on my iphone and about 40% on my tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 Dr.Teeth

The higher the mAh, the better.
    If your phone battery is 2500mAh, a 3000mAh will not fully charge your phone.
    Best is to double up, also be careful of cheap ones, maybe a fire hazard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dr.Teeth wrote: »
    The higher the mAh, the better.
    If your phone battery is 2500mAh, a 3000mAh will not fully charge your phone.
    Best is to double up, also be careful of cheap ones, maybe a fire hazard.
    +1

The other problem with cheap ones is that they may keep going on/off when nearly discharged. This wakes up your phone , display goes on and it uses more power, nett result is that it might drain the battery more than charge it.

Just to be clear I'm talking about really cheap and nasty powerbanks

Like this firestarter you can use with cells from a dead laptop battery €1.29 http://www.buyincoins.com/item/35357.html

don't leave unattended and don't get too close in case the cells esplode or leak magic smoke ;)
    yes it's cheap , no it's not a good idea :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I got one in Lidl or Aldi 6 months ago for eur 20, 12,000 mha. Still going, great value.

Advertisement