Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2015 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Definitely a weird stance to take. I always felt that the pre-match handshake was a sign of good sportsmanship, rather than wishing your opponent well. Can't see others following her example.

Russia vs Czech Republic in the Fed Cup final. Tie will be played in Czech Republic. Both won easily enough.

Good to see Kvitova back. Hope she's fully fit for Wimbledon. Don't understand why Germany played Goerges and Lisicki in the opening singles matches. Should have stuck with Petkovic and Kerber imo, especially with Kerber winning last week and Andrea having played so well against Australia in the last round.

I'm guessing Maria Sharapova and Ekaterina Makarova will be back for the final. Ages away though and anything could happen before then.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RosyLily wrote: »

Good to see Kvitova back. Hope she's fully fit for Wimbledon. Don't understand why Germany played Goerges and Lisicki in the opening singles matches. Should have stuck with Petkovic and Kerber imo, especially with Kerber winning last week and Andrea having played so well against Australia in the last round.

Apparently Kerber had an awful time getting to Sochi, 5 or 6 flights and lots of messing around so she wasn't in the best shape to play yesterday. Not sure why Petkovic didn't play. I suppose it is a team event and on paper Germany really should have won that tie, especially with Sharapova and Makarova missing for Russia.

Apparently Kerber had an awful time getting to Sochi, 5 or 6 flights and lots of messing around so she wasn't in the best shape to play yesterday. Not sure why Petkovic didn't play. I suppose it is a team event and on paper Germany really should have won that tie, especially with Sharapova and Makarova missing for Russia.

Bad luck for Kerber. I was really surprised Petkovic was left out for the opening matches. She looked devastated after the doubles match. Germany should have won it. Rittner decided to shake things up at the wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

No mention of Djokovic winning the 1st 3 masters of the season ???

Surprised the mens game gets so little talk here .. far superior to the WTA yet thats all that gets discussed really here.

Djokovic looking good for French ?

Mind you it looked that way last year too ...

Nadal still favourite for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Floppybits

the_monkey wrote: »

Surprised the mens game gets so little talk here .. far superior to the WTA yet thats all that gets discussed really here.

It will be interesting to see how Nadal does in the other build up tournaments for the French, especially Madrid and Rome. I know he is playing Barcelona but himself and Nishikori are the top seeds there so I don't think that will tell us much about Nadal if he wins. It is hard to look beyond Djokovic and Nadal for the final fo the french. I would have Djokovic favorite for the French simply because he wants it so much. I can actually see him putting so much into the French that he will sacrifice Wimbledon if it means he will win the french.

I seen on twitter that Stan has broken up with girlfriend of 10 years, I wonder if that was a reason for his early exit in Monte Carlo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I was thinking the same myself. What's this infatuation with the women's game? It's not near as interesting. Like slo motion compared to the men.

BTW, Nadal is not favorite at the bookmakers. Surely this year Nole can get the title barring an upset before he gets to Nadal.

Although, Nadal seems to raise the game at RG. He seems more fired up over the 3 sets on clay. Last year Nole was performing better on clay yet Nadal still trumped him in Paris.

Really looking forward to the French Open. I think Djokovic could do it this year. He's looking like he did back in 2011, maybe a bit better. Having 3 players in the same era that have achieved the career Grand Slam would be something very special. As mentioned, I can see him sacrifice Wimbledon. Even if he doesn't win the FO, I think he'll be drained physically, mentally and emotionally and could get beaten early in London.

Serena is unbeaten in singles this year (yes, I'm going back to WTA) and will begin her clay season in Madrid next month. Will be interesting to see if she can win the French again.

Bryan Brothers won their 106th men's doubles title in Monte Carlo. Most of any men's doubles team - really impressive!

Floppybits wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how Nadal does in the other build up tournaments for the French, especially Madrid and Rome. I know he is playing Barcelona but himself and Nishikori are the top seeds there so I don't think that will tell us much about Nadal if he wins. It is hard to look beyond Djokovic and Nadal for the final fo the french. I would have Djokovic favorite for the French simply because he wants it so much. I can actually see him putting so much into the French that he will sacrifice Wimbledon if it means he will win the french.

I seen on twitter that Stan has broken up with girlfriend of 10 years, I wonder if that was a reason for his early exit in Monte Carlo?

Unlikely they will meet in the final, I reckon Nadal will be seeded 3 ... so ..

SF meetup - which incidentally it was the SF Djokovic almost beat Nadal 2 years ago ...

I'd love Djokovic to do it, but can't see it happening ..

• Advertisement

SF meetup - which incidentally it was the SF Djokovic almost beat Nadal 2 years ago ...

I'd love Djokovic to do it, but can't see it happening ..

That depends on what way they do the seedings for the French, do they take a players record on clay as well as their world ranking into account when doing the seedings, similar to what they do at Wimbledon, if this is the case I could see him being at 2 and not 3 but either way Djokovic will have to beat him and I hope it is Djokovic that does beat him and not some unknown in the early rounds that catch him out or that he his injured or sick.

I do see Djokovic beating him, the changes Djokovic has made by getting Becker in and what is on the history making at the French Open is what will get him over the line. Djokovic has a chip on his shoulder because he is doesn't have the same appeal or is not considered a great like Nadal and Federer and if he can win the French beating the best clay court player then that will put him up there with Nadal and Federer.

That depends on what way they do the seedings for the French, do they take a players record on clay as well as their world ranking into account when doing the seedings, similar to what they do at Wimbledon, if this is the case I could see him being at 2 and not 3 but either way Djokovic will have to beat him and I hope it is Djokovic that does beat him and not some unknown in the early rounds that catch him out or that he his injured or sick.

Wimbledon are the only Slam that alters seedings. I don't know that there's any actual rules about it but as far as I remember Wimbledon are the only ones that have ever had seedings different to rankings.

Nishikori seeded #1 for BCN :D:D ...

Ironically this week Nadal has moved above him to #4 ..

Nishikori seeded #1 for BCN :D:D ...

Ironically this week Nadal has moved above him to #4 ..

The BCN doesn't look like a great tournament, going the top 16 ranked players.

1 Kei Nishikori (JPN)
    2 Rafael Nadal (ESP)
    3 David Ferrer (ESP)
    4 Marin Cilic (CRO)
    5 Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
    6 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
    7 Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP)
    8 Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
    9 Tommy Robredo (ESP)
    10 Pablo Cuevas (URU)
    11 Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
    12 Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)
    13 Fabio Fognini (ITA)
    14 Martin Klizan (SVK)
    15 Santiago Giraldo (COL)
    16 Nick Kyrgios (AUS)

The BCN doesn't look like a great tournament, going the top 16 ranked players.

1 Kei Nishikori (JPN)
    2 Rafael Nadal (ESP)
    3 David Ferrer (ESP)
    4 Marin Cilic (CRO)
    5 Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
    6 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
    7 Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP)
    8 Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
    9 Tommy Robredo (ESP)
    10 Pablo Cuevas (URU)
    11 Leonardo Mayer (ARG)
    12 Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER)
    13 Fabio Fognini (ITA)
    14 Martin Klizan (SVK)
    15 Santiago Giraldo (COL)
    16 Nick Kyrgios (AUS)

True it's more like a 250 then a 500 ....

Maybe it's too close to Monte Carlo ...

anyway, I wish I was aware of James McGee great run in Mexico

http://jamesmcgeetennis.com/

long may it continue ..

I do see Djokovic beating him, the changes Djokovic has made by getting Becker in and what is on the history making at the French Open is what will get him over the line. Djokovic has a chip on his shoulder because he is doesn't have the same appeal or is not considered a great like Nadal and Federer and if he can win the French beating the best clay court player then that will put him up there with Nadal and Federer.

Good point! He gets overshadowed by the other two and doesn't like it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder would Djokovic feel his career is incomplete if he retires without a French Open title. And even if he goes on to win the FO, will people consider him one of the greats?

That Barcelona line-up is fairly blah. Hopefully Madrid is better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

That'd be a matter of opinion.

But yes, Djokovic is playing incredibly right now, although it's not as if there's someone to consistently challenge him either. He set a few records yesterday as well, as previously mentioned he's the first to win the first three masters in a season, he also has the largest gap between an ATP #1 and #2. I'm sure there was something else as well. I just wish I actually liked him :(

Good point! He gets overshadowed by the other two and doesn't like it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder would Djokovic feel his career is incomplete if he retires without a French Open title. And even if he goes on to win the FO, will people consider him one of the greats?

I think winning a second Wimbledon sealed the deal in this regard. Winning RG, his 9th slam and completing the career grand slam would make it beyond any doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

There's a 50/50 chance of them being in opposite halves of the draw, so it's not that unlikely. Federer will be hoping Nadal ends up in the other half of the draw, I don't think Djokovic cares with the results he's been having against Nadal lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I think winning a second Wimbledon sealed the deal in this regard. Winning RG, his 9th slam and completing the career grand slam would make it beyond any doubt.

I think he is going to end up with double digit slams. inc. a French, although if he wins a French this year I can see him taking the foot off the pedal for the year, he's already looking a bit mentally 'leggy'.

He is also likely to break Nadals record for Masters 1000 titles before he finishes. In the age of possibly the two best players 'ever', he cant but be seen as being in the mix if he achieves the above.

Nadal made an interesting comment during monte carlo that he didn't feel that the new wave of players are 'stepping up', which its hard to disagree with. Djokovic won his first slam at I think 20, Federer at 22, Del potro won his at 20ish as well, and I think Nadal was 14 or something when he won his first.

Most of the 'young guns' are now approaching mid twenties, with maybe 3 or 4 masters titles between them. This is partly down to the excellence of the top 3/4, sure, but seriously, one of them has to step it up soon?

Madrid and rome are atp 1000 so you get the better players. I was at rome last year and it was great.

I think there is something unlikable about djokovic compared to nadal and Federer. Maybe it is down to his behaviour prior to 2011. If he wins the french open and holds all 4 slams he will be considered one of the greats but I don't think he will ever be a popular as greats like Federer, Nadal, edberg, agassi, becker, mcenroe to name a few.

• Advertisement

TBH, I can't see Djokovic being mentioned in the same way people talk about Federer, Nadal, McEnroe, Laver etc. But maybe that'll change over the next few years.

Oh, how was Rome Floppybits?? I've never been to a clay tournament. Would you recommend it?

The only thing Djokovic has in the plus column over Nadal/Federer when it comes to being called one of "the greatest" is that he has achieved all his trophies in the same era as two players who are considered "the greatest".
    Federer was unchallenged for a large proportion of his career. Nadal came along and eventually managed to reach the same level although mostly on clay.
    Djokovic has won all of his slams while Federer and Nadal were still considered to be at the top of their game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He will go down as a legend, but he really should have won the US Open more than he has, once is more than most, but so often he has been the best player on that surface. He also does need to win the French as well, however I am sure he knows this.

TBH, I can't see Djokovic being mentioned in the same way people talk about Federer, Nadal, McEnroe, Laver etc. But maybe that'll change over the next few years.

Oh, how was Rome Floppybits?? I've never been to a clay tournament. Would you recommend it?

Rome was fantastic. It was my first proper tennis tournament to go too and I get to see the Murray/Nadal match which was one of the best matches last year. Still have the pictures from it I was about 6 rows from the front for that match. The great thing is that all the Tennis manufacturers and clothing companies are there so I actually got to try on tennis shoes to get my proper size. :)

Djokovic is a legend with 8 grand slam titles but I just don't think he has the charisma or personality like Federer, Nadal, Becker or Agassi.

The only trump Nadal and Federer have on Nole is that they have a lot more slams. That could change. I see Nole winning at least 3 more. That brings him to 11 or so. He could well eclipse Nadal on 27 1000 titles in the next year or so. I like Nole, but he doesn't have the same adulation and global appeal name wise as the other two. That affects his all time rating. He is level with Federer on head to heads and trails Nadal by 1 or 2?

Federer was past peak when he one all his slams. In fact his very first slam in Australia 2008 was the beginning of the Federer decline when he got Rheumatic Fever, an illness which ended Soderling's career. In the last couple years both Nadal and Federer have been shadows of their peak selves.

Federer won 5 slams after the Australian Open of 2008. If that's him being in decline good for him.

You know, the Fed of 2009 was probably the strongest Fed there was. His FO and SW19 wins were phenomenal. His SW19 final win against Roddick was unreal.

walshb wrote: »
    You know, the Fed of 2009 was probably the strongest Fed there was. His FO and SW19 wins were phenomenal. His SW19 final win against Roddick was unreal.

Yeah, that match against Roddick was phenomenal!! One of my favourites. Can't believe it was nearly 6 years ago!!:eek:

Nadal out in BCN .... Fognini 64 76(6)

Still overwhelming favourite for RG...

A lot of people writing Nadal off. He had a very average clay season (by his standards) last year and still won RG.

• Advertisement

A lot of people writing Nadal off. He had a very average clay season (by his standards) last year and still won RG.

Exactly, I said he's still overwhelming favourite ..

Players who have beaten Rafael Nadal multiple times on clay in a season:

Novak Djokovic (2011)
    Fabio Fognini (2015)

:pac:

Dafuq is happening to you Maria

Players who have beaten Rafael Nadal multiple times on clay in a season:

Novak Djokovic (2011)
    Fabio Fognini (2015)

:pac:

When did Fognini beat him before today in 2015 ?

edit I see now, Rio

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F510&oId=N409

Dafuq is happening to you Maria

She's got enough Porsches. Doesn't need another one.

Be funny if Kerber manages to beat Makarova in the QF too. The two highest ranked Russians who missed Fed Cup and Germany still couldn't beat them.

It's not the Porsche's I'm worried about :pac: Hope she sorts herself out in time for Paris.

I imagine it'll be a Simona charge to the title now. Simona-Garcia final would be good.

Just thank God she didn't bow out 6-0, 6-0 like Lisicki. That was hideous! I'd welcome a Halep-Garcia final. Something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Not so sure.

Nadal got into his clay groove early in 2014, winning one or more 250s or 500s in south America (no big deal, but good for confidence and a lot better than he did on his spin around there this year)

He also won Madrid and lost the Rome final to Djokovic in three sets.

So last years season was a lot better than this one is looking thus far. I really think Nadal is in a spot of bother, and if he doesn't win or at the very least get to the later stages of both Rome and Madrid he will have three problems in Paris:

- Low confidence, he is playing poorly at the moment, and only has two tournaments left to find a bit of form and confidence
    - Reduced fear factor in the locker room, a lot of snipers will see this as a great chance (hell, even if I was Fognini now I wouldn't mind having another crack off him!)
    - He cannot gain ranking points in Madrid and if he looses early in Rome he is likely to be seeded 5th in Paris, meaning he could meet Djokovic in the quarters or semi. I think the earlier he meets Djokovic the more chance there is of Djokovic beating him.

He will be the favourite, and rightly so, but 'overwhelming'? I can't see it atm.

lostcat wrote: »
    Not so sure.

Nadal got into his clay groove early in 2014, winning one or more 250s or 500s in south America (no big deal, but good for confidence and a lot better than he did on his spin around there this year)

So last years season was a lot better than this one is looking thus far. I really think Nadal is in a spot of bother, and if he doesn't win or at the very least get to the later stages of both Rome and Madrid he will have three problems in Paris:

- Low confidence, he is playing poorly at the moment, and only has two tournaments left to find a bit of form and confidence
    - Reduced fear factor in the locker room, a lot of snipers will see this as a great chance (hell, even if I was Fognini now I wouldn't mind having another crack off him!)
    - He cannot gain ranking points in Madrid and if he looses early in Rome he is likely to be seeded 5th in Paris, meaning he could meet Djokovic in the quarters or semi. I think the earlier he meets Djokovic the more chance there is of Djokovic beating him.

He will be the favourite, and rightly so, but 'overwhelming'? I can't see it atm.

Very good points. I think we'll know a lot more after Madrid and Rome. But even if they go poorly, and he is set up to meet Djokovic in the QF's, I'd still make him the favourite at RG.

Plus, despite his sublime form right now, Novak has been prone to mental lapses in the past, particularly in Paris. I think if he puts too much pressure on himself to win he could really play into Nadal's hands. All to be seen.

• Advertisement

Sentire wrote: »
    Federer in 2009 was better than 2008 but his level was well below 2005 and 2006 levels. He barely managed to beat his pigeon in the final at Wimbledon and barely managed to win the French open even after Nadal was knocked out in the other half. He threw away the Us open final to del Potto.

Nonsense. Well below 2005 and 2006? Different era and time as regards the strength and depth. Nadal was only beginning then, as was Novak. Federer simply began facing stronger and more mature and great great players from 2007 onwards. Players were coming into their physical best. Federer in 2008 and 2009 was a more complete and intelligent player, as well as still having his natural skills and speed and grace. The Federer from 2007-2009 was a better player than the Federer of 2005-2006.

BTW, Roddick played astonishing well in 2009 SW19 Final. Federer played fantastic as well. His serve was on fire.

He won the FO 2009, even though you want to make out that he struggled so badly. He won the bloody tournament. Let's not make out that the field was weak. Soderling beat Nadal for chrissake, the man who had beaten Federer for the 3 previous years. Of course it was going to be hard fought. Federer is human.

Never write Nadal off at RG but one has to admit that this recent run of form is his worst pre RG. Nole is beating him consistently on clay and almost beat him a couple of times in RG. I would make Nole the favorite if he makes the final.

lostcat wrote: »
    Not so sure.

There is one other little thing to add to this and that is Nadal's match fitness over 5 sets. I think another reason for him not winning as much this year is down to his fitness. He spent the end of last year laid up with injuries and no matter how much of an athlete he is, it does take time to build up the fitness levels again, just look at Murray last year after his injury lay off.

I would have him as favourite for the French open but not an overwhelming favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Watching Nishikori at the moment against Bautista Agut and you can see why he has been threatening the top four. Powerful serve, great speed around the court and a brilliant returning game. I'd say he is just behind Djokovic at the minute on clay and will possibly be recognised as the second or third best player in the world by the end of the year if he can keep his body in shape and free from injury. Decent bet for the French Open this year I think.

I really like Kei! He'll definitely win a Grand Slam, if not multiple. Wouldn't be surprised if he cracked into the top 3 or 4 this year.

According to Russell Fuller on Twitter, Navratilova and Radwanska have parted ways. Says Martina underestimated how much time coaching would take alongside her family and business commitments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

McGee knocks out #1 seed Tim Smyczek in the QF of the Savannah Challenger.

EDWuIiy.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭StillIntact

Glad to see someone else on here was keeping an eye on McGee's performance. Another win against a top 100 player. The green clay seems to suit him. Good chance of getting to the final and hopefully one step further than San Luis Potosi.

Terrific stuff from James. Weird that it's coming on clay too!

Terrific stuff from James. Weird that it's coming on clay too!

He's been based in Spain for a long time though, I think?

2015's least shocking development so far, Radwanska/Navratilova have parted ways. Navratilova is insisting it's her decision... but I'm not convinced.

Wow, big win for Woz. Would be interesting to see if she can make an impact on clay this year.

Nishikori looks on his way to win Barcelona also, hopefully he can go far in Paris next month. I'm still disappointed he didn't win the US Open last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement